PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for decent files

MWF FEED
1st September 2020, 01:00 AM
Who makes decent files these days? Most of mine are over 30 years old and I'm due for some replacements to last the next 30!

I'm mainly after some good flat files in second cut and smooth for general deburring and small jobs that either don't suit machining or aren't worth setting up for.

I can vouch for it NOT being Trojan as I picked up a general set when I was at the big green shed a while back, and while using one of the flat ones tonight to file a small keyway I noticed that it was bent like a banana. Made it almost impossible to file a flat surface.
They seem to be OK for deburring though.

Back when I was on the tools it was all Nicholson and Wiltshire etc, but these days I have no idea.
Looking around online - Nicholson still make them, but I don't know if they are still decent quality as they come with pretty resin handles in a nice box with clear lid and look more like they've been made for marketing than manufacturing.

Pferd - make decent abrasives but are their files any good?

Blackwoods seem to be almost exclusively Suttons/P&N, so I guess they would be a pretty safe bet. They do have an beautiful set of 100mm Stahlwille warding files though.... :)

Any recommendations?

Steve

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=205570&goto=newpost)