PDA

View Full Version : A Quality Barometer Supplier?

Ausworkshop
17th November 2005, 07:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone has some advice on the best place to get a barometer part? I'm after a good quality one.

Thanks

Harry72
17th November 2005, 10:20 PM
http://www.jknowles.com.au/

Auld Bassoon
18th November 2005, 08:01 PM
As Harry mentioned. Also Carba-Tech and Timbecon locally - and, of course, Lee Valley.

Cheers!

JackoH
19th November 2005, 09:19 AM
The Woodsmith in Croydon or Gustec at the end of Stud Rd. should have what you want.

Ausworkshop
19th November 2005, 03:44 PM
The Woodsmith in Croydon or Gustec at the end of Stud Rd. should have what you want.

Thanks for your advice, I'll probably drop into Gustec and check them out during the week. The ones from jknowels look like good quality, says they are made in Europe. If the Gustec ones are made in Europe and similar price then i'll probably go with them.

Thanks for your help everyone

Iain
19th November 2005, 06:04 PM
Jim Carroll, Woodworking Warehouse, there are some good solid brass ones out there.

Ausworkshop
3rd December 2005, 02:40 PM
THERES A WORLD MARKET OF CRAP BEING MADE
Well I decided to buy the top of the range barometer from Carbatec after looking at the catalogue and comparing with the Knowles ones which were too large diameter for what I wanted.

This one pictured here was $41 and as far as I'm concerned is a piece of cheap crap.

I purchased the 'Brushed Gold Series' I would hate to think what the Brass or even the cheaper plastic ones would be like.

As soon as I opened it up I noticed a very big scratch right across the front plastic dome (which I thought was glass) upon further inspection I've noticed the brushed gold backing plate also has fine scratches which must have been there before the piece was even assembled.

The whole assembly is made from cheap pressed steel.
Once upon a time they would have all been machined from solid brass.
It appears we have a wide variety of companies like this who make 'woodworkers products' which are really just made to look like a barometer. I'm so sick of being ripped off buy companies who make fake tools, instruments or whatever that are just designed to sell & look good on the shelf rather than perform in the long term.:mad:

If this is the top of the range then in my opinion Page 188-189 of the Carbatec Catalouge is a load of cheaply made crap that I wouldn't even bother sanding a scrap of fence post for.
Back to square one, there goes the weekends project.
Very Off - but I should be used to it by now.
I notice it has 'England' written on the back - probably a new state in China! Wonder why they leave off the words 'Made In'

Iain
3rd December 2005, 03:02 PM
I have bought brass units with a glass dial from Woodsmith, it was a few years ago now but definitely not like you have.
Solid and heavy.

echnidna
3rd December 2005, 03:54 PM
must remember to ferget carbatec for clocks n things.

Ausworkshop
3rd December 2005, 04:36 PM
Great thanks, looks like I wait till Friday (the only day they are open) then drive to Croydon & hope that they are good quality & still in stock.

I think I really should be looking at 'Weather Instrument' manufacturers rather than 'Woodwork Suppliers' tho.

It seems there isn't a quality supplier of Barometers in Australia.
I here Barostar is a good brand so I'm trying to find them locally without being already fitted to timber.

Ausworkshop
6th December 2005, 09:19 AM
Still looking for solid brass barometers if anyone has any further sugestions of where to get them please let me know.

ptc
6th December 2005, 05:43 PM
Try a Ships Chandlers. boat fittings.
a marine one should be brass.