PDA

View Full Version : 2020-2021 Plane Building Challenge

Oldgreybeard
7th September 2020, 11:15 AM
2020 – 2021 Challenge

Build a Woodworking Plane

Overview: In August, 2020 Matt (Simplicity) set himself a challenge to build a woodworking plane; something he had never attempted before. Throughout the course of the build, Matt posted numerous updates and photos of his successes, failures and frustrations here (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/art-filling-mitre-plane-236406) on the Forum. Matt has now announced that he has started on a new challenge – to build a second plane.

There is a consensus amongst his colleagues that ‘if Matt can build a working plane’ it can’t be all that hard. So Matt it is now officially on – you are being challenged. The members of the woodworking / metalworking forums are now ready to accept the challenge to produce their best woodworking plane. You all have 6 months to give it your best shot!

Criteria: The criteria are simple. Every member accepting the challenge has to produce a working plane and post photos of the build and finished item along with a sample of the shaving from a piece of Pine to verify that their plane meets the criteria of a working plane.
Materials: Wood, metal, plastic, etc. or any combination.
Design: Your plane may be built from your own design, a design downloaded from the internet, a copy of the basic structure of an existing commercial plane, or the modification (improvement) of any of the above.
Restoration or modification of an existing plane (as opposed to modifying a design) is not acceptable.
Construction: With the exception of the plane blade and chip breaker, which may be bought as a finished component, sending plane blade to a third party for the purpose of hardening and tempering is also acceptable; but all other parts must be made by the forum member using only the tools which they have available in their home workshop.
Duration of Challenge: Only items completed between 7 September, 2020 and 26th March 2021 will be eligible for entry in the competition. This will allow time for some of us to upgrade our skill levels, service and sharpen our tools, and source the material and services required to complete the challenge.
Judging: A panel of 3 judges has been appointed – IanW (Brisbane Qld), fletty (Camden NSW) and derekcohen (Perth WA). Judging will be based on appearance, originality, workmanship, and most importantly the extent to which the plane is fit for its intended use. Photographs, written documentation, and shaving samples will form the basis for the judges’ decision. The judges’ decision will be final.
Prize(s): Depending on the number of entries there will be one or more prizes awarded by the judges. Further details will be posted when numbers are known.
How to enter: Each entrant should start their own thread in the Homemade Tools and Jigs, PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21 (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f316). The first post should contain “Challenge 2020-2021” and followed by your name e.g. Challenge 2020-2021 Oldgreybeard as the title for your new thread.
Submissions: You should regularly post updates and photos along with any requests for advice, etc. to the thread you created when you entered. This will satisfy the requirements for photographs and documentation required by the judges.

On completion of your plane, submit 4 photos showing off your plane, workmanship and the shavings you created. The judges may, at their discretion, seek clarification of any point but will not enter into any discussion as to their decision.

Simplicity
7th September 2020, 11:34 AM
Game on,
I’m ready.

Cheers Matt.
Have I bitten of more than I can chew!!!!

justonething
7th September 2020, 01:52 PM
I'll be watching with interest.

doug3030
7th September 2020, 02:48 PM
Game on!

Simplicity
7th September 2020, 03:53 PM
I'll be watching with interest.

Paul,
Are you going to jump in and have a go?.

Cheers Matt.

justonething
7th September 2020, 05:43 PM
Paul,
Are you going to jump in and have a go?.

Cheers Matt.

Have to wait and see if I have enough time and know how.

derekcohen
7th September 2020, 06:48 PM
Just to let all know that all the judges are open to bribes ... ugh ... gifts ... a bottle or two or three of red helps keep the mind open when faced with complex plane designs. :)

Looking forward to seeing the work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Simplicity
7th September 2020, 06:59 PM
Just to let all know that all the judges are open to bribes ... ugh ... gifts ... a bottle or two or three of red helps keep the mind open when faced with complex plane designs. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’ve got a spare dozen 2013 I Giusti e Zanza Dulcamara,
Floating around some were at home I think, if that would help[emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
7th September 2020, 07:49 PM

Derek, I thought you would be more interested in whether the blade is bevel up or bevel down than any gifts from the maker. :;

derekcohen
7th September 2020, 08:04 PM
Derek, I thought you would be more interested in whether the blade is bevel up or bevel down than any gifts from the maker. :;

Buggah that, Doug, where's the plonk? I'm exhausted just thinking about it all! :U

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chief Tiff
7th September 2020, 08:07 PM
Sooooooo tempted!

Need to have a good think while I’m away with work and see if I can come up with a cunning plan...

doug3030
7th September 2020, 08:22 PM
Sooooooo tempted!

Need to have a good think while I’m away with work and see if I can come up with a cunning plan...

Don't you mean a "cunning plane"

Cklett
7th September 2020, 08:37 PM
Off course I am in and on it :-D

Just for clarification it can be any tyoe of plane including specialty planes?

And I assume it has to be a project not started yet, right?

Finally, why is it limited for the shaving to come from pine only? Is that what it says?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Simplicity
7th September 2020, 08:43 PM

Finally, why is it limited for the shaving to come from pine only? Is that what it says?

If you make something and call it a plane,
The judges will judge it as being a plane.
Ie if you want to make a something resembling a axe but call it a plane, fantastic.
(Yes you can make a specialty plane ?ie a shoulder Plane.)

Yes it needs to be a new build from the 7 September 2020.(Honest is a big part here)

No specific length of the shaving, just prove it works.

Cheers Matt.

IceManDude
7th September 2020, 11:32 PM
i would love to join in... however i have a 16 foot bass boat to finish building before i start another major project!!

doug3030
8th September 2020, 12:38 AM
i would love to join in... however i have a 16 foot bass boat to finish building before i start another major project!!

Tell the 16 foot bass to build its own boat. :rolleyes:

Bushmiller
8th September 2020, 09:06 AM
Excellent concept particularly for these times. I suspect it will prompt me into action to have a go at a first ( well, almost) plane. Like my namsake, justonething, I'm a little short of time: I will just have to make some time!

Regards
Paul

Oldgreybeard
8th September 2020, 09:16 AM
Iceman, It will be so much easier with a new plane:D

Bushmiller
8th September 2020, 10:29 AM
I would also like to say thank you to the judges for stepping up to adjudicate. What a wonderful bunch of gentlemen they are too. ( just trying to curry favour and compensate for my skill inadequacies): Also rather pleased this excludes them from competing.

:D

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
8th September 2020, 11:20 AM
I would also like to say thank you to the judges for stepping up to adjudicate. What a wonderful bunch of gentlemen they are too. ( just trying to curry favour and compensate for my skill inadequacies): Also rather pleased this excludes them from competing.

:D

Regards
Paul

You think this tactic will work mind you can’t hurt.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
8th September 2020, 11:38 AM
You think this tactic will work [emoji6] mind you can’t hurt.

Cheers Matt.

Don't know Matt

However, I do know I need all the help I can get. A little bit of lobying may help.

:shrug:

I am currently researching red wine. Then I will chase down some materials for plane making.

Regads
Paul

Simplicity
8th September 2020, 11:45 AM
Don't know Matt

However, I do know I need all the help I can get. A little bit of lobying may help.

:shrug:

I am currently researching red wine. Then I will chase down some materials for plane making.

Regads
Paul

She Oak , an Jarrah seem too be popular gift timbers also, possibly with a drop of red wine just to make postage costs, of course.

Cheers Matt

Cklett
8th September 2020, 01:06 PM
If you make something and call it a plane,
The judges will judge it as being a plane.
Ie if you want to make a something resembling a axe but call it a plane, fantastic.
(Yes you can make a specialty plane ?ie a shoulder Plane.)

Yes it needs to be a new build from the 7 September 2020.(Honest is a big part here)

No specific length of the shaving, just prove it works.

Cheers Matt.

Great, now I couldn't sleep last night as my poor brain went into overdrive and thinking on how I could use an axe head as a blade in a plane....:rolleyes:

But anyway, I will get my entry in tonight...

Until then I still have a question for clarification. That's why I put it into this thread.

It says only blade and chipbreaker can be bought. Everything else has to be made in our own workshop. Does this also apply to thumb screws? I assume surely I can use bolts and normal screws, but is there a red line somewhere? Some do not have a lathe so I would like to clarify in order to check how crafty and creative I need to get. For example I can either make thumb screws out of bolts and other items or I can buy ready made brass thumb screws. Are both options acceptable?

I hope I don't get already disqualified to ask all this pesky questions :rolleyes:

Thanks CK

dcarbonetti
8th September 2020, 01:26 PM
i've been looking for a plane for quite a while on the cheap, maybe i should give this a try

Simplicity
8th September 2020, 02:18 PM
Great, now I couldn't sleep last night as my poor brain went into overdrive and thinking on how I could use an axe head as a blade in a plane....:rolleyes:

But anyway, I will get my entry in tonight...

Until then I still have a question for clarification. That's why I put it into this thread.

It says only blade and chipbreaker can be bought. Everything else has to be made in our own workshop. Does this also apply to thumb screws? I assume surely I can use bolts and normal screws, but is there a red line somewhere? Some do not have a lathe so I would like to clarify in order to check how crafty and creative I need to get. For example I can either make thumb screws out of bolts and other items or I can buy ready made brass thumb screws. Are both options acceptable?

I hope I don't get already disqualified to ask all this pesky questions :rolleyes:

Thanks CK

I think we can include fasteners in the brought category.
So yes if you need to use or modify an existing bolt or nut.

Cheers Matt

Oldgreybeard
8th September 2020, 02:42 PM

Yes it can be any type of plane so long as it meets the basic definition of "an implement used for smoothing and shaping wood".

As stated - Duration of Challenge: Only items completed between 7 September, 2020 and 26th March 2021 will be eligible for entry in the competition. (my emphasis)

Shaving from a piece of pine ensures that the judges can compare apple with apples. Pine was selected as we assumed that all entrants would have some in their workshop.
Bob

Aussiephil
8th September 2020, 03:14 PM
Yes it can be any type of plane so long as it meets the basic definition of "an implement used for smoothing and shaping wood".

Bob

I don't know, i've been known to use an angle grinder to both shape and smooth bits of timber :)

Well i think i have an idea in place so might jump in and have a go at making something i would not generally use but may well enjoy.

Need to coalesce a few more thoughts into the full idea

Cheers
Phil

Cklett
10th September 2020, 08:16 PM
Hi, I saw a few people are looking blades.
I rummaged around my stash and found a few which might be of interest.

I am happy to donate them to the competition and give them to anyone who wants to join the game free of charge. You only need to cover postage and use it in the challenge.

However, be assured if any plane using one of these blades wins I will take credit for it ;-)

I took fotos and you can see the dimensions. If you want one just let me know the number on the foto and send me a PM.

I thought I add this here as it goes only for the challenge.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/f51fee585f08f08b074486229fdb551b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/fab4cd14420f5f61ae1727f3ebdca43e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/bfb3140978a70dc6e6c912841540bbec.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/93f1f9cd8aff0605e327ab1a8cb7d173.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/8e0e7f884ac0a66be337c730a6b3cb1c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/425cdbde246017794b680f3e012da079.jpg

PS: some are maybe not that great, but I leave that up to you. Hey they are free and what's I have :-)

dcarbonetti
10th September 2020, 08:36 PM
Could i get #6 with the chipbreaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cklett
10th September 2020, 08:58 PM
Could i get #6 with the chipbreaker

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's yours. Just send me a PM with your details and we sort the rest.

woodPixel
10th September 2020, 10:51 PM
Hi fellow challengers,

Before I blow a bunch of cash, I've some stupid questions! :)

What is Naval Brass and where would one buy it?

Apparently its the right stuff. I found some on McMaster-Carr, but I don't know enough except to be dangerous -> McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/copper-brass-and-bronze/)

Any hints are much appreciated.

Second, those without fabulous workshops, how does one cut steel? Ive a Knew Concepts saw, a nice old Bahco hacksaw, angle grinder, dremel and whatnot...

Simplicity
10th September 2020, 11:10 PM
Hi fellow challengers,

Before a blow a bunch of cash, I've some stupid questions! :)

Apparently its the right stuff. I found some on McMaster-Carr, but I don't know enough except to be dangerous -> McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/copper-brass-and-bronze/)

I was going to do that list then forgot my apologies.

Brass I buy from

Non Ferrous Metals Australia - George White (https://georgewhite.com.au/)

I’ve been using cartridge Brass 260.

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
10th September 2020, 11:12 PM
Also I asked McMaster if they delivered to Oz they said no?.

Cheers Matt

Aussiephil
10th September 2020, 11:33 PM
Hi fellow challengers,

These guys Astral Wright have spec details but i couldn't find it on there product list Copper Alloys Naval Brass C46400 (https://www.australwright.com.au/technical-data/alloys/copper-brass/copper-alloys-c46400-naval-brass/)

woodPixel
10th September 2020, 11:59 PM
Also I asked McMaster if they delivered to Oz they said no?.

Before all this kicked off I was following BJs Planes on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/B6kIrrhBbPm/)and he (Melbourne) mentioned he gets his Naval Brass from McMaster-Carr.... Interesting!

Bushmiller
11th September 2020, 07:53 AM
Naval brass is sometimes called admiralty brass and is intended for marine applications and also water cooled condensers in power stations. I am not sure that it is the best brass for planes if you are planing on dovetailing. Ian will probably chip in here and my memory is that a more ductile brass is preferred. However, if you are just using a profile for a shoulder plane it may not matter.

Thought I had better mention this before it is clarified and people part with their hard earned.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
11th September 2020, 09:12 AM
Naval brass is sometimes called admiralty brass and is intended for marine applications and also water cooled condensers in power stations. I am not sure that it is the best brass for planes if you are planing on dovetailing. Ian will probably chip in here and my memory is that a more ductile brass is preferred. However, if you are just using a profile for a shoulder plane it may not matter.

Thought I had better mention this before it is clarified and people part with their hard earned.

Regards
Paul

The cartridge brass 260 is preferred because it can be peened,i.e. it is softer and it’s not prone to flaking ideal for metal dovetails.

Cheers Matt.

Chief Tiff
12th September 2020, 03:59 PM
Found this blade and cap iron assembly (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Plane-Blade-Mathiseson-and-Sons/124334734517?hash=item1cf2ed7cb5:g:ypAAAOSwIftfXDSF&frcectupt=true) on fleabay if anyone fancies knocking up a spar plane...

I'm still on the fence ATM...

doug3030
12th September 2020, 04:05 PM
I'm still on the fence ATM...

The organisers said they have a special deal going at the moment just for the fence sitters.

Start yourself a thread in the challenge directory. Start any time during the competition if you find the time and enthusiasm.

If, when the big day arrives, you do not have anything to put on the judging table, they will refund your entrance fee. :2tsup:

fletty
12th September 2020, 11:12 PM

Could you put a blade on it?

Simplicity
13th September 2020, 07:39 AM
Attention participants Attention please:

One of the Judges has arrived,
I suggest you try to look busy,and maybe put some Red wine out, just in case they stop by for a look.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
13th September 2020, 04:46 PM
I am just wondering to what extent it was explained to the aforementioned judge that these planes in the challenge are not the type intended to fly knowing of his interest in the flighted type. Just in case, I might have to design in some wings: Purely to curry favour.

I also happen to know that he has an extremely good appreciation of red plonk so I am continuing my research in that direction too. Need to have all bases covered.

Regards
Paul

fletty
13th September 2020, 08:02 PM
I am just wondering to what extent it was explained to the aforementioned judge that these planes in the challenge are not the type intended to fly knowing of his interest in the flighted type. Just in case, I might have to design in some wings: Purely to curry favour.

I also happen to know that he has an extremely good appreciation of red plonk so I am continuing my research in that direction too. Need to have all bases covered.

Regards
Paul

Nah, you’re covered Bushy, it’s taken a while but I’ve finally worked out how to differentiate between, planes, planes, planes and plains? My recent semi-absence from the forum is due to a realisation of my own mortality and that the aviation photo collection (>50,000 images), library and artworks need to outlive me and I’ve been assuring that end. To get back to woodwork will be just plane relaxing!

doug3030
13th September 2020, 08:04 PM
Nah, you’re covered Bushy, it’s taken a while but I’ve finally worked out how to differentiate between, planes, planes, planes and plains? My recent semi-absence from the forum is due to a realisation of my own mortality and that the aviation photo collection (>50,000 images), library and artworks need to outlive me and I’ve been assuring that end. To get back to woodwork will be just plane relaxing!

Sounds like a big important job, Fletty.

Simplicity
13th September 2020, 08:43 PM
Fletty,
Just letting you know(Sucking up)
That I’ve been busy all weekend in plane making stuff,
I reckon the others have been slacking off.

Cheers Matt.

fletty
13th September 2020, 09:05 PM
fletty,
just letting you know(sucking up)
that i’ve been busy all weekend in plane making stuff,
i reckon the others have been slacking off.

Cheers matt.

noted!

Simplicity
13th September 2020, 09:33 PM
noted!

That’s it,
I get a noted!

O dear :)

doug3030
13th September 2020, 10:23 PM
Fletty,
Just letting you know(Sucking up)
That I’ve been busy all weekend in plane making stuff,
I reckon the others have been slacking off.

Matt - considering how much of my weekend was taken up working on YOUR plane blade I could take exception to that. :~ :rolleyes:

Note that I didn't say I would take a fence to that because your plane does not have one. :no:

Bushmiller
13th September 2020, 10:42 PM
Just leaving the bribery, corruption and digressions for a brief moment and returning to the original business, I had three shoulder plane blades available to anyone who is interested in participating in the challenge. Made from leaf springs, they are being posted for free (will fit in a standard envelope) so even the impoverished students among you can enter if you wish, but anyone else too. Pix and details here (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f228/plane-blade-237189#post2208020).

The only condition is that you participate in the challenge. The two larger blades are spoken for but the smaller blade is still available.

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
13th September 2020, 11:35 PM
I might just have to think about bribing officials the competition looks strong, personally i got nothing progressed on a plane but i did nearly finish off the mobile outfeed/build bench, added the draws. looking at using some hardwood fronts on them from the pile of tongue/groove floor boards i have so spent the afternoon removing the snip functionality from my very old GMC lunch box thicknesser. I did get it down to a nearly imperceptable 0.2mm measured with a dial gauge.
Here's the bench looking a lot cleaner than the last photo of it. Need to seal that MDF on top yet

the bench against the wall is being pulled out so this one can sit back against the wall... task for next weekend.

woodPixel
14th September 2020, 01:07 AM
Is there any reason one could not use a decent chisel as the blade?

Chop off the handle and grind it appropriately? (keep it cold with water, grind with a dremel or angle grinder? Tidy up on an upside down belt sander?)

Im thinking of a 3/4 shoulder plane, mainly as I need one and I love the look of the HNT Gordons. :)

doug3030
14th September 2020, 07:01 AM

Chop off the handle and grind it appropriately? (keep it cold with water, grind with a dremel or angle grinder? Tidy up on an upside down belt sander?)

Im thinking of a 3/4 shoulder plane, mainly as I need one and I love the look of the HNT Gordons. :)

Well, I'm not going to argue with Paul Sellers.

How to Make a Poor Man's Rebate Plane | Paul Sellers - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTuOtmlRhAI)

Bushmiller
14th September 2020, 09:52 AM

WP

As Doug has shown above, very doable. Look for a blade that is not tapered if possible. I will see what I have kicking around. As you may have seen from other threads, I am not always quite sure what I have or haven't got.

:rolleyes:

Regards
Paul

woodPixel
14th September 2020, 01:34 PM
I make a little Kumiko (well, I TRY to make it) and the method of ensuring all the slats are perfect is a little jig.

I'm thinking that a similar jig on a chisel that's not parallel/flat/tapered would be one way of doing a "surface grinder" (!!!)

Suppose I should post this to my own thread too, as documentation is part of the reward :)

--> Challenge 2020 - 2021 WoodPixel (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f316/challenge-2020-2021-woodpixel-237208)

banjopicks
19th September 2020, 02:09 AM
Well I'm glad I found this forum again and this challenge. I'm currently working on a Jack and have made every mistake known to man. I think I'll start over and be a part of this challenge. It will have to be a glued up/ laminated plane as I don't have any pieces of wood large enough to make a solid plane. Being maple from an old bowling lane, it's doesn't have any curl or anything to make it fancy so I guess I'll have to dress it up with the handle and possibly a knob. I have some nice rosewood I could add to the sole but I'm not sure I want to use it for this. Ideally it will have a skewed blade for use on a shooting board.

I'm not going to make the mistakes I made on my first effort and waste time building a hand tool with hand tools! I have very limited shop time but I sure like making curls when I can.

banjopicks
19th September 2020, 02:45 AM
I suppose I should show some pics of my failed plane, at least I think it's a failure. I won't know for sure until I make the pin and try it. I now have a second set of holes above the first but no picture of that.

Bushmiller
19th September 2020, 06:58 AM
Welcome banjopicks

We look forward to you registering under your own name. "challenge 2020 - 2021. banjopicks". With the mistakes already out of the way you are better placed than many of us.

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
19th September 2020, 10:36 PM
It occured to me that some people contemplating participating in the challenge might think they have missed the boat as a dozen or so competitors have begun their activities. That of course is not so. Thereis plenty of time, although one scoundrel did ask for an extension, but it doesn't do for me to name and shame. :wink:

I know a couple of people who are contemplating joining in the fun and I would definitely encourage them to do just that. Planes occupy a large and important place in woodworking folk law. Some people just collect, not that I fully understand that type of obsession

There are the unusual, but fully functional planes that are not seen every day but revered among the cognoscenti

Not all planes are large

Then there are the highly desireable infill planes so beloved by woodworkers

And there are the sculptural planes with striking imagery

Well, hopefully this will give food for thought for all those of you who are sitting on the fence.

Go on. Just do it.

:)

Regards
Paul

Chief Tiff
19th September 2020, 10:57 PM
If you think for one moment I’m susceptible to peer pressure and just plane shaming then I am both disappointed and disgusted. That you are right.

I am 99% certain now what to make; to the best of my knowledge it hasn’t ever been attempted by any forum member. Until my return home towards the end of this week it shall remain a secret; and I think I’ll be quite relieved to finally alight from the fence. If only to pull out the splinters.

Simplicity
19th September 2020, 11:13 PM
It occured to me that some people contemplating participating in the challenge might think they have missed the boat as a dozen or so competitors have begun their activities. That of course is not so. Thereis plenty of time, although one scoundrel did ask for an extension, but it doesn't do for me to name and shame. :wink:

I know a couple of people who are contemplating joining in the fun and I would definitely encourage them to do just that. Planes occupy a large and important place in woodworking folk law. Some people just collect, not that I fully understand that type of obsession

There are the unusual, but fully functional planes that are not seen every day but revered among the cognoscenti

Not all planes are large

Then there are the highly desireable infill planes so beloved by woodworkers

And there are the sculptural planes with striking imagery

Well, hopefully this will give food for thought for all those of you who are sitting on the fence.

Go on. Just do it.

:)

Regards
Paul

Paul,
The last picture you posted,could you explain ?because it’s not plain too a simpleton like me,how that particular plain works,
Maybe even what bed angle it is.

I asked Sally, she replied no comment.

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
19th September 2020, 11:16 PM
If you think for one moment I’m susceptible to peer pressure and just plane shaming then I am both disappointed and disgusted. That you are right.

I am 99% certain now what to make; to the best of my knowledge it hasn’t ever been attempted by any forum member. Until my return home towards the end of this week it shall remain a secret; and I think I’ll be quite relieved to finally alight from the fence. If only to pull out the splinters.

Chief,
We will be waiting with huge Enthusiasm for the end of the week.

Cheers Matt

doug3030
20th September 2020, 12:04 AM
Paul,
The last picture you posted,could you explain ?because it’s not plain too a simpleton like me,how that particular plain works,

I think it's one of those Butt Mortise Planes. :rolleyes:

woodPixel
20th September 2020, 01:40 AM
....And there are the sculptural planes with striking imagery

l

Personally I think the designer missed quite a few very good ... opportunities... here.

Chief Tiff
20th September 2020, 06:22 AM
I think it's one of those Butt Mortise Planes. :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

Simplicity
20th September 2020, 09:40 AM
Competitors List
Numbers are growing,
If I have forgotten anyone, I apologise and please let me know.

Oldgreybeard
Bushmiller
Simplicity
AussiePhil
Ironwood
Cklett
Sheets
Doug3030
Mountain Ash
Pagie
Jools13
Bernard Zhang
Woodpixel
Chief Tiff
Banjopicks

Also Bob and my self will be hosting a Zoom meeting with the three Judges this evening,closed meeting.

If anyone would like me to pass on offers of blackmail or bribes or “gifts”
I’m more than happy to help out, at a 33 percent cut rate.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
20th September 2020, 11:21 AM
Competitors List
Numbers are growing,
If I have forgotten anyone, I apologise and please let me know.

Oldgreybeard
Bushmiller
Simplicity
AussiePhil
Ironwood
Cklett
Sheets
Doug3030
Mountain Ash
Pagie
Jools13
Bernard Zhang
Woodpixel
Chief Tiff

Also Bob and my self will be hosting a Zoom meeting with the three Judges this evening,closed meeting.

If anyone would like me to pass on offers of blackmail or bribes or “gifts”
I’m more than happy to help out, at a 33 percent cut rate.

Cheers Matt.

banjopicks.

Matt, where's banjopicks? Are we excluding Rhode Island? Do they have to quarrantine for 14 days to be eligible?

:wink:

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
20th September 2020, 12:41 PM
banjopicks.

Matt, where's banjopicks? Are we excluding Rhode Island? Do they have to quarrantine for 14 days to be eligible?

:wink:

Regards
Paul

I put that has a question too the Judges tonight,Paul regarding the quarantine issue,
But I’m personally happy if they just stay 1.5 metres away and wear a mask.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
20th September 2020, 04:01 PM
Paul,

I asked Sally, she replied no comment.

Cheers Matt.

Matt

I think the bed angle is a matter of personal preference and I don't think I should offer any advice on the subject. I also understand and sympathise with Sally if you needed help in explaining how it works: No wonder you need all those thumbnail drawings and maquettes for your submission.

:p

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
20th September 2020, 04:36 PM
Matt

I think the bed angle is a matter of personal preference and I don't think I should offer any advice on the subject. I also understand and sympathise with Sally if you needed help in eplaining how it works: No wonder you need all those thumbnail drawings and maquettes for your submission.

:p

Regards
Paul

I ask the judges!!!

Aussiephil
22nd September 2020, 12:27 PM
General question to the collective knowledge

Has anyone experimented or done a carbide edged blade? Searching doesn't throw up much except for Rali planes using carbide blades in their planes.

I'm sort of picturing a carbide cutting knife from a planner brazed/welded on a blade.

Cheers
Phil

Simplicity
22nd September 2020, 12:57 PM

Has anyone experimented or done a carbide edged blade? Searching doesn't throw up much except for Rali planes using carbide blades in their planes.

I'm sort of picturing a carbide cutting knife from a planner brazed/welded on a blade.

Cheers
Phil

Is this some kind of voodoo black magic kind of stuff?
My friend wants to know.

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
22nd September 2020, 01:29 PM
Non plain talk at lunch time,

That’s to fat
That looks like a stair case
That’s just yuck.
To round
That looks like a vintage toaster ??
To square

This was a conversation I had with Sally today while having lunch,
Sally asked what I was going to do for the front of “The Body”
So I ,responded with, I’m not sure yet , here’s some pics.

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
22nd September 2020, 09:27 PM

Cheers
Phil
Hey Phil, I was only checking these blades out last night, thinking that I could probably do something similar myself. It’s HSS, but carbide is probably doable as well.
Plane Blades - LIST OF ALL (https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/shop/spares/spares/plane-blades-list-of-all/results,131-130)
or this one Plane Blades - Bench #3 to #8 : Blade, Plane, Bench, HSS Tipped (https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/shop/spares/spares/plane-blades-bench-3-to-8/blade-plane-bench-hss-tipped-detail)

Bushmiller
22nd September 2020, 09:49 PM
Hey Phil, I was only checking these blades out last night, thinking that I could probably do something similar myself. It’s HSS, but carbide is probably doable as well.
Plane Blades - LIST OF ALL (https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/shop/spares/spares/plane-blades-list-of-all/results,131-130)
or this one Plane Blades - Bench #3 to #8 : Blade, Plane, Bench, HSS Tipped (https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/shop/spares/spares/plane-blades-bench-3-to-8/blade-plane-bench-hss-tipped-detail)

Good link Brad

Many planer blades have a HSS insert (Some with up to 18% tungsten as well.) Carbide does not sharpen as well as high carbon steel or HSS, but holds the edge far longer (provding you don't hit a foreign object). I suspect it has not found favour in hand tools because of the fussiness involved and the cost. TC tends to be used at higher speeds than HSS (eg 3x faster on a metal lathe context than HSS), which is not really an option for an antique woodworker.

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
23rd September 2020, 11:12 AM
Changing the topic for a minute, Bob (oldgreybeard) had some discourse in his build thread about the type of planes being built and i just nicked a small section to quote

I agree that the option to use different designs and materials has produced a more varied and interest challenge.

Not sure about others competing but at least for me this has instilled an interest in hand planes for me, who is a fervent power tool user. I also notice in the "who has read this thread" listing that there are a lot of people not involved reading the various threads, hopefully getting ideas and at times laughing or groaning at some of the puns :)

Buy it off the shelf is easy but tune it or make it and the shop made/tuned tool i'm finding brings pleasure even if it's not always pretty.

Thank you for the Challenge and thank you to the diversity of entries.

Cheers
Phil

doug3030
23rd September 2020, 11:21 AM
Not sure about others competing but at least for me this has instilled an interest in hand planes for me, who is a fervent power tool user. I also notice in the "who has read this thread" listing that there are a lot of people not involved reading the various threads, hopefully getting ideas and at times laughing or groaning at some of the puns :)

For me, making a few planes is something that was on my list to do after I finished the workbench build.

Plane making is one of MANY things on that list. It just means that most of the list is now being re-ordered so that I can fit in the Plane Challenge within the timeframe. Several other projects are being run concurrently but order of precedence has changed somewhat. For example I am finishing off a small dovetail saw I started some time ago because it will be useful in the plane making. A few other homemade tools will also appear in good time in my competition thread.

Shedhand
26th September 2020, 11:33 AM
I started a Gidgee plane about 5 years ago. With my now failing sight it would probably end up on Aircrash Invesigations after first use.:D:cool:

Picko
27th September 2020, 07:17 PM
OK, I'm off the fence and another late starter. I tried to start a thread in the build thread but lost it so I'll try again later.

Simplicity
27th September 2020, 07:40 PM
OK, I'm off the fence and another late starter. I tried to start a thread in the build thread but lost it so I'll try again later.

Fantastic news Picko,

Cheers Matt.

slickmick77
29th September 2020, 12:52 PM
Game for this, just never used wood other then for stick builds and a weapon like my boy Hack saw Jim Duggan
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan entrance video - YouTube (https://youtu.be/62bYUbiPpc4)

Aussiephil
29th September 2020, 01:05 PM
Game for this, just never used wood other then for stick builds and a weapon like my boy Hack saw Jim Duggan
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan entrance video - YouTube (https://youtu.be/62bYUbiPpc4)

Oh man... hacksaw... now we are diving into the old guys of wrestling :) Jim wasn't the only guy that had a bit of timber but probably the most famous :)

Now if the challenge gets into a tables/ladders/chairs match to get some timber we will be in trouble.

Actually i wonder if the most famous use of wood on the WWE/WWF was Undertakers coffin

derekcohen
4th October 2020, 07:29 PM
<a href="https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/la-suisse-au-fil-du-temps/video/les-outils-de-bois?urn=urn:rts:video:3464421&amp;id=3464421" target="_blank">
https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/la-suisse-au-fil-du-temps/video/les-outils-de-bois?urn=urn:rts:video:3464421&amp;id=3464421 (https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/la-suisse-au-fil-du-temps/video/les-outils-de-bois?urn=urn:rts:video:3464421&id=3464421)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a97gcIs42K4&amp;ab_channel=KenHawleyCollectionTrust

Regards from Perth

Derek

Simplicity
4th October 2020, 08:58 PM
Nice find Derek,
Wouldn’t it be great to step back in time done time’s.

Cheers Matt.

foff47
8th October 2020, 09:58 PM
I'm in

Aussiephil
8th October 2020, 10:02 PM
I'm in
I've missed checking a few boarding passes but try to welcome new participants in the great plane adventure a happy voyage of discover on Flight2021.

May your flight be of learning and full of puns

Mountain Ash
8th October 2020, 10:55 PM
<a href="https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/la-suisse-au-fil-du-temps/video/les-outils-de-bois?urn=urn:rts:video:3464421&amp;id=3464421" target="_blank">
https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/la-suisse-au-fil-du-temps/video/les-outils-de-bois?urn=urn:rts:video:3464421&amp;id=3464421 (https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/la-suisse-au-fil-du-temps/video/les-outils-de-bois?urn=urn:rts:video:3464421&id=3464421)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a97gcIs42K4&amp;ab_channel=KenHawleyCollectionTrust

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. That was wonderful. When I get back to finishing my hollows and rounds, this video will be watched again. I definitely want to try my spoon drills to create the mortise (I hope I have one the right size - unfortunately my brace is not as fancy as his). Nice to see a badger plane at work . Love his vise and now I want a 3mm mortising chisel. This is another reason why this forum is so important.

Simplicity
2nd December 2020, 07:10 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/730509e9698ba448821ab49d93f4d114.jpg

Just a Death clock date thingy reminder, for those who may need it.

Cheers Matt.[emoji1782]

Ps someone should check my maths.

Picko
2nd December 2020, 09:58 PM
I agree with your calc's but that doesn't hold much weight. :U