PDA

View Full Version : Challenge 20 - 21. Ironwood.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ironwood
9th September 2020, 09:13 AM
Ok, I have to throw my hat into the ring here, even though I can’t commit the time and effort at the moment, I have stuff going on that stops me getting in my shed very much at all. So with that said, my thread will probably languish to the back of the field.

I have in mind a #3 sized smoother, brass/steel dovetails with timber bun style infills front and rear. I have some D4 blades somewhere, that I got on one of the Thumbsucker group buys, so will use one of them.
Thats my plan at this stage, but if it’s getting towards the end, and I still haven’t started, I will probably change course and build a Krenov style smoother.

Looking forward to following everyone else’s builds to give me the inspiration to get into mine.

Aussiephil
9th September 2020, 09:44 AM
Welcome on board the train and i'll happily keep you company towards the back of the pack though it seems brass/steel dovetail plan is already way past my own ability.

Cheers
Phil

Simplicity
9th September 2020, 09:58 AM
Ok, I have to throw my hat into the ring here, even though I can’t commit the time and effort at the moment, I have stuff going on that stops me getting in my shed very much at all. So with that said, my thread will probably languish to the back of the field.

I have in mind a #3 sized smoother, brass/steel dovetails with timber bun style infills front and rear. I have some D4 blades somewhere, that I got on one of the Thumbsucker group buys, so will use one of them.
Thats my plan at this stage, but if it’s getting towards the end, and I still haven’t started, I will probably change course and build a Krenov style smoother.

Looking forward to following everyone else’s builds to give me the inspiration to get into mine.

Ironwood Excellent to see you stepping up to the mark,
Looks like I have some stiff,competition in the metal plane body department.
I will have the judges note size does matter lol.

Cheers Matt

Bushmiller
9th September 2020, 11:13 AM
Brad

Could I hazzard a guess at the timber? Some of your Cooktown Ironwood for a change perhaps?

:)

I still have a piece you supplied me. It nearly got used!

Regards
Paul

Ironwood
9th September 2020, 06:22 PM
Welcome on board the train and i'll happily keep you company towards the back of the pack though it seems brass/steel dovetail plan is already way past my own ability.

Cheers
Phil
Cheers Phil. This will be my first go at metal dovetails, so I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew .

Ironwood
9th September 2020, 06:24 PM
Ironwood Excellent to see you stepping up to the mark,
Looks like I have some stiff,competition in the metal plane body department.
I will have the judges note size does matter lol.

Cheers Matt
Hey Matt, I have heard that one about size before, but I was told it’s what you do with it that matters ;)

Ironwood
9th September 2020, 06:28 PM
Brad

Could I hazzard a guess at the timber? Some of your Cooktown Ironwood for a change perhaps?

Regards
Paul
You could be onto something there Paul. After all, it is my default timber for all things from wheelbarrow handles to pens. Though I might surprise everyone and pull something else out of the bag :)

Mountain Ash
9th September 2020, 06:41 PM
Brad

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul. Does that mean I will have to use some KDHWD? Or change my name to Beech(y)? :?

Pagie
9th September 2020, 08:09 PM
If that is the case I will have to make mine out of paper

doug3030
9th September 2020, 08:27 PM

Paper planes are too easy. :;

Bushmiller
10th September 2020, 06:53 AM

Pagie

Looks like you and Mountain Ash will have to turn over a new leaf.

:rolleyes:

Regards
Paul

Mountain Ash
10th September 2020, 08:35 AM
Boom tish (snare drum and cymbal to accent punchline of joke).....I will be leafing now

Bushmiller
10th September 2020, 09:40 AM
Boom tish (snare drum and cymbal to accent punchline of joke).....I will be leafing now

"You can checkout any time you like, but you cain't never leaf." (apologies to The Eagles and Hotel California)

:cool:

Regards
Paul

Ironwood
18th September 2020, 04:53 PM
OK, time to get me off the bottom of the thread list ( briefly anyway )

I dug out some planemaking supplies that I purchased last century, I found some 6mm brass sheet in two different widths , I assume I got this for the sides of planes, but I am thinking it might be a bit thick ( will have to read Ian’s plane building guide to see what he recommends ) A piece of 4”x 3/4” plate for lever caps, and a length of 3/4” rod, I remember using some of this to make brass knobs for my lathes to get rid of the plastic ones.

I have got plenty of stainless steel sheet in 3 & 6mm, wondering if I should have a go at making a stainless body. I will test how the stainless peins before making a decision.

I took some photos of my bits, but can’t “log on” to the forum on my iMac to upload them. Someone has disabled the login button on my computer, I am not going to say too much yet, but this could be someone trying to sabotage my progress :o:o:o.
I have shut down the computer, and will try again later. Maybe I will be able to login while their attention is diverted :cool: .

Ironwood
18th September 2020, 05:00 PM
Oh, and I found the plane blades I got in the first Thumbsucker group buy. I think they are D4 steel, very hard to sharpen if I remember correctly.
The 2 smaller blades are both 2” wide, so will have to make my plane a bit wider than planned to suit one of them.
Photo of them coming, if I can ever log back on with my iMac :C

Bushmiller
18th September 2020, 05:03 PM
Brad

That sounds like some heavy metal.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
18th September 2020, 05:20 PM
O I see one of my closest rivals,
Is posting again.well well,

Brad, be careful of the weight issue,I’m in the finishing stages of my second plane build, it’s about 165 mm long 45 mm wide.
It’s a little on the heavy side, not hugely heavy but noticeable.
6 mm steel sole,3 mm brass sides,6 mm single Iron.
Small Gidgee stuffings.

Cheers Matt.
Saying all that, my competition plane will probably be quite the heavy lifter.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
18th September 2020, 07:01 PM
I took some photos of my bits,

Ironwood
18th September 2020, 07:43 PM
Brad

That sounds like some heavy metal.

Regards
Paul
Paul, I prefer to listen to the Blues, but have been known to turn the volume up on some heavy metal at times.

Ironwood
18th September 2020, 07:47 PM
Saying all that, my competition plane will probably be quite the heavy lifter.

Cheers Matt.
I am going for the heavy hitter with my plane Matt. I’m sure there’ll be some that say it reminds them of Mike Tyson .

Ironwood
18th September 2020, 07:49 PM
Not sure what lens you used there Doug, but I had to fit the wide angle lens when taking the photos of my plane tackle :cool:

Pagie
18th September 2020, 08:59 PM
I dug out a plank of Silky today as the gidgee was too hard. I'm a wimp.:~

Ironwood
18th September 2020, 11:35 PM
I still can’t log on with my iMac, so I had to email theses pics to myself so I could upload them on the iPad. Bit of a hassle and I don’t know how they will display until I post.

This is the wide angle shot of my bits.
Pretty sure this was part of another Thumbsucker group buy :rolleyes:. Not sure how handy it will be.

And the Thumbsucker MKI plane blades. Can’t remember the reason behind that wide one, a MEGA Smoother maybe ? They are pretty hefty blades.

Oldgreybeard
19th September 2020, 08:49 AM
Looks like you are really into the swing of the challenge. I am looking forward to something that will emulate your your skills as a macro photographer (extreme close up photography, not suggest that Brad is vertically challenged) :D

Ironwood
19th September 2020, 06:06 PM
Looks like you are really into the swing of the challenge. I am looking forward to something that will emulate your your skills as a macro photographer (extreme close up photography, not suggest that Brad is vertically challenged) :D
Cheers Bob. Hopefully I will end up with something to show before the end of the challenge

Ironwood
20th September 2020, 01:28 PM
OK, I just reread the rules, and I don’t see anywhere that it says you can’t change tack with your design. So I am forging ahead with a new plan, since I found my narrowest blade is 2 inches.
I am still making a smallish smoother, but it will be a bit longer than I originally thought, and it will have a rear handle instead of the bun.
Other changes include, stainless steel bottom and sides, and the sides will be curved.
So far, I am still using Cooktown Ironwood for the woodwork, but that could change if something else takes my eye while rummaging for the Ironwood. :wink:
I am also drawing a plan using pencil and paper, no cad in the Ironwood shed:cool:, I was originally going to wing it and make it up as I went, but as I complicate things further, I think a drawing to follow might pay off.

On a sour note, I still can’t log on to the forum with my iMac.:~

Simplicity
20th September 2020, 02:09 PM
OK, I just reread the rules, and I don’t see anywhere that it says you can’t change tack with your design. So I am forging ahead with a new plan, since I found my narrowest blade is 2 inches.
I am still making a smallish smoother, but it will be a bit longer than I originally thought, and it will have a rear handle instead of the bun.
Other changes include, stainless steel bottom and sides, and the sides will be curved.
So far, I am still using Cooktown Ironwood for the woodwork, but that could change if something else takes my eye while rummaging for the Ironwood. :wink:
I am also drawing a plan using pencil and paper, no cad in the Ironwood shed:cool:, I was originally going to wing it and make it up as I went, but as I complicate things further, I think a drawing to follow might pay off.

On a sour note, I still can’t log on to the forum with my iMac.:~

I’m with you on the design changes Brad,I’ve gone through a few my self,
Do as many or has few has you want.
The judges just want to see a finished plane and a pine shaving.
Pine shavings will possibly appear in the market place for sale towards the end of the competition :))

With respect to paper and Pencil we ain’t paying for licensing stuff!!!.

Some of our comrades are now having second thoughts about all this paper pencil stuff.

Have you tried gently tapping the IMac ,
Or is that Pc fix now obsolete??

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
20th September 2020, 02:48 PM
I’m with you on the design changes Brad,I’ve gone through a few my self,
Do as many or has few has you want.
The judges just want to see a finished plane and a pine shaving.
Pine shavings will possibly appear in the market place for sale towards the end of the competition :))

With respect to paper and Pencil we ain’t paying for licensing stuff!!!.

Some of our comrades are now having second thoughts about all this paper pencil stuff.

Have you tried gently tapping the IMac ,
Or is that Pc fix now obsolete??

Cheers Matt.
Yep, they can keep their stinking license, they won’t be getting any brass razoos out of me :wink:.
I have tried the small hammer kept at the house on the Mac, but will be bringing back a bigger one when I come back from the shed later.

Ironwood
20th September 2020, 03:03 PM
Here is a look at my design, there will be a few changes here and there to improve aesthetics etc. Pretty sure at this stage I will go with 60* blade angle.
The handle has been just roughly added in, that will definitely change shape.
I can’t seem to make my pics appear any bigger on the iPad, but if you click on them they should open up to a bigger size. If I ever get to log back in with the iMac, I will change them.

doug3030
20th September 2020, 03:48 PM
Here is a look at my design, there will be a few changes here and there to improve aesthetics etc. Pretty sure at this stage I will go with 60* blade angle.
I can’t seem to make my pics appear any bigger on the iPad, but if you click on them they should open up to a bigger size. If I ever get to log back in with the iMac, I will change them.

The pics open up quite large for me.

Simplicity
20th September 2020, 03:49 PM

Brad,
That is looking vey good,

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
20th September 2020, 05:02 PM
Brad,
That is looking vey good,

Cheers Matt.
It’s not as curvaceous as “The Body “, but I might be able to add some frills and lace to help it look a bit more appealing.

Ironwood
20th September 2020, 05:06 PM
The pics open up quite large for me.
Do you have to click on them to make them big Doug ? Or are they already big in the thread ?

doug3030
20th September 2020, 05:18 PM
Do you have to click on them to make them big Doug ? Or are they already big in the thread ?

Brad, I click on them and they fill about 3/4 of the screen.

That's how most pics on the forum work for me but usually not quite so big as your ones.

Ironwood
2nd October 2020, 07:01 PM
I had to go into town today, I drove past the salvage yard on my way to get some acid for the pool, and thought I would see if they had any brass sheet hiding somewhere.
I got lucky with a 400mm square X 3mm piece that was once a lid for something, its got some holes drilled in it. But should be good for a few planes.
He charged me $40, tried to get him down to 30, but he wouldnt be in it. The banter I get in that place is priceless, so I dont mind paying a bit too much everytime I go there :roll:.

So looks like I am changing tack again and having brass sides after all.
Its got some scratches on one side, I gave it a buff with a wheel on the angle grinder to see how deep they are. Will take a bit of sanding to get them out, but if I put them on the inside, they shouldnt be too obvious.

I buffed up a piece of 6mm stainless as well, I will cut the bottom out of this.

Ironwood
2nd October 2020, 07:14 PM
I thought I had a couple of dovetail markers already, but a search of the sheds couldnt locate them, so I got a chance to play with some nice tools while I made one :cool:.

A blatant takeoff from Dereks "Inthewoodshop" article. I used some 20mm aluminium angle, because that was what I found without looking too hard.
I will make some brass or stainless ones another day, this one will do the job for the time. I went with 6:1.

I cant find my good scriber either, had to use a marking knife to mark it out.
A scriber might get made tomorrow for use on the brass and stainless.

I found I can log on with google chrome on the iMac, so I can post my photos a bit easier.

Simplicity
2nd October 2020, 07:24 PM
Brad,
That’s excellent news on both fronts,am I right in assuming(hate that word) we might see a little progress soon?.

Cheers Matt.

Mountain Ash
2nd October 2020, 08:26 PM
Hi Ironwood. Took me a while to find your dovetail marker, I was distracted by the other bling in the photo :D

Simplicity
2nd October 2020, 09:10 PM
Hi Ironwood. Took me a while to find your dovetail marker, I was distracted by the other bling in the photo :D

Yes, but if may bring to the judges attention, no table cloth,outrages.

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
2nd October 2020, 10:00 PM
Brad,
That’s excellent news on both fronts,am I right in assuming(hate that word) we might see a little progress soon?.

Cheers Matt.
Once all the Ducks are in formation there will be action :wink: .

Ironwood
2nd October 2020, 10:05 PM
Nothing like using nice tools to make a nice (hopefully) tool :)

Ironwood
2nd October 2020, 10:14 PM
Yes, but if may bring to the judges attention, no table cloth,outrages.

Cheers Matt.
I am hoping the lack of tablecloth will be overlooked because of the inclusion of the shopmade dovetail marker :wink:.
Now if only the postie would deliver that parcel with the new tablecloth in it, I wouldn’t have to worry :-

banjopicks
2nd October 2020, 11:56 PM
I thought I had a couple of dovetail markers already, but a search of the sheds couldnt locate them, so I got a chance to play with some nice tools while I made one :cool:.

A blatant takeoff from Dereks "Inthewoodshop" article. I used some 20mm aluminium angle, because that was what I found without looking too hard.
I will make some brass or stainless ones another day, this one will do the job for the time. I went with 6:1.

I cant find my good scriber either, had to use a marking knife to mark it out.
A scriber might get made tomorrow for use on the brass and stainless.

I found I can log on with google chrome on the iMac, so I can post my photos a bit easier.

Looking at those glamorous tools and wondering how that bevel gauge works. I can't figure out what that knurled knob does.

Sheets
3rd October 2020, 03:55 AM
Looking at those glamorous tools and wondering how that bevel gauge works. I can't figure out what that knurled knob does.

It's how you lock the slide angle on the adult version of the tool. :U

banjopicks
3rd October 2020, 04:10 AM
That much I figured but how does it do it? What's going on inside?

doug3030
3rd October 2020, 10:38 AM

The wingnut on the end of the handle drives a threaded rod which is inserted into a nut attached to a wedge at the junction between the handle and the blade. Tightening the handle pushes the wedge in, locking the blade.

There are diagrams online but I could not find them quickly. I have also seen a cutaway bevel gauge that shows the mechanism.

I'll have a look for a diagram or picture later when I have a bit of time.

Ironwood
3rd October 2020, 04:40 PM

Doug has explained better than I could have.

The wingnut on the end of the handle drives a threaded rod which is inserted into a nut attached to a wedge at the junction between the handle and the blade. Tightening the handle pushes the wedge in, locking the blade.

There are diagrams online but I could not find them quickly. I have also seen a cutaway bevel gauge that shows the mechanism.

I'll have a look for a diagram or picture later when I have a bit of time.

My Wife bought me this one for my birthday, must have been back in 2009 :rolleyes: .
Chris Vesper makes some of the best tools available in the world, and his sliding bevel is no exception.
As you can tell its a user, so the signature series may have been a bit extravagant, but she always buys the best.

He also made this little double square, a very handy bit of gear.
Looking at the marks on both, I really should look after my tools a bit better :- .

Check him out here- Vesper Tools – Superb Quality Woodworking Tools – Since 1998 (https://www.vespertools.com.au/)

Ironwood
3rd October 2020, 05:03 PM
I drew a better side view of my plane, so I could make a template to mark the sides on the brass sheet.
Still need to refine the shape of the handle.

I wanted to build this plane entirely from stuff I had stored in my sheds, I have broken that rule twice now, first the brass sheet, now a new scriber.
This one is a $12 Sidchrome job, its not in the same class as the Starret one I cant locate , but it will do the job at hand.
I dont have any marking fluid, I found a recipe online to make some, but I dont have any shellac left. So I tried some spraycan survey paint.

I dont have a jewellers saw, as recommended by IanW, so I used my jigsaw to rough them out.
It wasnt a good experience for me or my jigsaw.
The only metal blade I had left was already blunt, and it was getting hot and brazing the brass filings onto the teeth, I had to stop every 10mm and use my new scriber for a toothpick :oo: .

I got them roughly cut out, just have to work out how I am going to finish them off.
Maybe a drill, holesaw, and files.

Simplicity
3rd October 2020, 05:29 PM
I drew a better side view of my plane, so I could make a template to mark the sides on the brass sheet.
Still need to refine the shape of the handle.

I wanted to build this plane entirely from stuff I had stored in my sheds, I have broken that rule twice now, first the brass sheet, now a new scriber.
This one is a $12 Sidchrome job, its not in the same class as the Starret one I cant locate , but it will do the job at hand.
I dont have any marking fluid, I found a recipe online to make some, but I dont have any shellac left. So I tried some spraycan survey paint.

I dont have a jewellers saw, as recommended by IanW, so I used my jigsaw to rough them out.
The only metal blade I had left was already blunt, and it was getting hot and brazing the brass filings onto the teeth, I had to stop every 10mm and use my new scriber for a toothpick :oo: .

I got them roughly cut out, just have to work out how I am going to finish them off.
Maybe a drill, holesaw, and files.

Looking good Brad,
I had the same experience with using the same jigsaw(I think) trying to cut my brass sides out.
No matter what I did it was just &@@&,

Maybe there’s a special tip?.

But I find filling the brass almost Zen like therapy, not sure if that is a sickness tho lol.

Cheers Matt.

Mountain Ash
3rd October 2020, 05:52 PM
I'll give you zen Matt!

Simplicity
3rd October 2020, 06:01 PM
I'll give you zen Matt!

I was reading about some German post war machinist apprentices , one of there first lessons were to file a cast aluminium cube to exactly 20.00mm square I think!

Each one they stuff up, they must carry in there overall pockets till they get one right.

Apparently Learning how to file and when too breathe is the trick !!.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
3rd October 2020, 06:21 PM

Get yourself one of these:

B002 - BS-4A Metal Cutting Band Saw - Swivel Vice | Hare & Forbes Machineryhouse (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/b002)

Just the thing for brass and annealed carbon steels. It can be used with an auxiliary table like a woodworking bandsaw too for cuttin gout profiles like what you were doing.

Cklett
3rd October 2020, 06:42 PM
I was reading about some German post war machinist apprentices , one of there first lessons were to file a cast aluminium cube to exactly 20.00mm square I think!

Each one they stuff up, they must carry in there overall pockets till they get one right.

Apparently Learning how to file and when too breathe is the trick !!.

Cheers Matt.They sort of still do that. I did my engineering degree in Germany. Only moved here 10 years ago. During the degree we also had to do an internship for basic skills. I did it with other mechanic apprentices. We had to do similar tasks and the supervisors were very strict.

The apprenticeship takes 3 years whereas for us engineers we only had to do 13 weeks. Not enough to really learn the skill but enough to generate the respect for those who can and to appreciate the abilities of the ones who have to build what comes out of our crazy minds.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Simplicity
3rd October 2020, 07:13 PM
They sort of still do that. I did my engineering degree in Germany. Only moved here 10 years ago. During the degree we also had to do an internship for basic skills. I did it with other mechanic apprentices. We had to do similar tasks and the supervisors were very strict.

The apprenticeship takes 3 years whereas for us engineers we only had to do 13 weeks. Not enough to really learn the skill but enough to generate the respect for those who can and to appreciate the abilities of the ones who have to build what comes out of our crazy minds.

I would like to put forward a formal protest,
Cklett is a formal trained German engineer,
What chance does a tin basher have,
It’s not fair

Matt.

Oldgreybeard
3rd October 2020, 08:08 PM
It’s not fair

Matt.

Protest dismissed

Cklett
3rd October 2020, 08:09 PM
It’s not fair

Matt.Relax. Just a process engineer. I know something of everything, but nothing really well [emoji12]

Ironwood
3rd October 2020, 09:13 PM
Get yourself one of these:

B002 - BS-4A Metal Cutting Band Saw - Swivel Vice | Hare & Forbes Machineryhouse (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/b002)

Just the thing for brass and annealed carbon steels. It can be used with an auxiliary table like a woodworking bandsaw too for cuttin gout profiles like what you were doing.
I already broke the rule twice, not going for a hat trick :no:
Might be able to sneak it in at a later date though :;

Ironwood
3rd October 2020, 09:18 PM
Looking good Brad,
I had the same experience with using the same jigsaw(I think) trying to cut my brass sides out.
No matter what I did it was just &@@&,

Maybe there’s a special tip?.

But I find filling the brass almost Zen like therapy, not sure if that is a sickness tho lol.

Cheers Matt.
Maybe we need a different brand jigsaw :?

Im still waiting for the zen to kick in, I suspect it won’t be long now :cool:

Simplicity
3rd October 2020, 09:44 PM
Maybe we need a different brand jigsaw :?

Im still waiting for the zen to kick in, I suspect it won’t be long now :cool:

I would love to blame the jigsaw, but immmm I think for me it was wrong blades wrong place wrong attitude.

Cheers Matt.

Sheets
4th October 2020, 02:16 AM

I also don't have any marking fluid (not that I'd need it for my plane build), but I found that felt-tipped markers work well enough in a pinch, too.

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 08:06 AM
I also don't have any marking fluid (not that I'd need it for my plane build), but I found that felt-tipped markers work well enough in a pinch, too.
Yes, I use the marking pens often for smaller jobs, but I think for the bigger jobs, something that you can apply with a brush or spraycan would be better.

The recipe I found, called for shellac flakes and methylated spirit tipped in a jar, and pull the guts out of a couple of marking pens and soak in the solution for a day or two.

If I had some shellac on hand, I would have tried adding some fountain pen ink.

doug3030
4th October 2020, 09:56 AM
Yes, I use the marking pens often for smaller jobs, but I think for the bigger jobs, something that you can apply with a brush or spraycan would be better.

Exactly - I have marking fluid,but a marking pen is so much quicker and easier if it is just a small piece or a single line or two ona big piece. For a full outline its worth getting out the bottle of marking fluid and a paint brush.

Chief Tiff
4th October 2020, 10:19 AM
Not cleaning off the oxide layer first works a treat too :wink:

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 01:18 PM
I cut a set of cauls on the bandsaw to bend the sides, I made it to the exact profile I want. Now I am thinking I should have put a bit more curve in the cauls to allow for some springback. Maybe I’ll make another set .

I think I’ll drill all the holes before I bend the sides, hopefully I don’t mess up here.

My next dilemma is what I am going to use for the rivits, I want a rust free plane, so that pretty much leaves stainless or brass, I can’t find any thin brass rod in the shed, I think I have some 3mm brazing rods somewhere, they must be with my good scriber :rolleyes:.
I have a few meters of 6mm stainless rod but nothing thinner, except for some 3mm Weldall rods, the only 4mm rods I have are hard facing rods, and I don’t think they would pein very well. Maybe I will go and give the end of one a few taps with a hammer and see what it’s like.
I would rather use 4mm rivits if I can find something suitable.

Simplicity
4th October 2020, 01:28 PM
I cut a set of cauls on the bandsaw to bend the sides, I made it to the exact profile I want. Now I am thinking I should have put a bit more curve in the cauls to allow for some springback. Maybe I’ll make another set .

I think I’ll drill all the holes before I bend the sides, hopefully I don’t mess up here.

My next dilemma is what I am going to use for the rivits, I want a rust free plane, so that pretty much leaves stainless or brass, I can’t find any thin brass rod in the shed, I think I have some 3mm brazing rods somewhere, they must be with my good scriber :rolleyes:.
I have a few meters of 6mm stainless rod but nothing thinner, except for some 3mm Weldall rods, the only 4mm rods I have are hard facing rods, and I don’t think they would pein very well. Maybe I will go and give the end of one a few taps with a hammer and see what it’s like.
I would rather use 4mm rivits if I can find something suitable.

Ian W , and I had a chat once,awhile ago, before the challenge was starting,regarding Spring Back.
It’s like trying to figure out quantum physics while drunk and blind, on a fishing boat.
Probably not much Help!!!

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 01:37 PM
Ian W , and I had a chat once,awhile ago, before the challenge was starting,regarding Spring Back.
It’s like trying to figure out quantum physics while drunk and blind, on a fishing boat.

Cheers Matt.
Yes, I figured as much :(. Going to be a bit of a guessing game to get just the right amount.

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 02:00 PM
Well surprisingly enough (for me anyway) , the hard facing rod seems a bit more malleable than the Weldall rod.
Guess I'll be using the 4mm rod after all. I just hope it doesnt rust.

doug3030
4th October 2020, 04:40 PM

Cheers Matt.

You could always try using Derek's formula:

... use this formula: cn=v=fλn c n = v = f λ n

I trust that explains it well enough.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 05:13 PM
You could always try using Derek's formula:
I already tried that, its fine if you are using a 100 tonne press, but it doesnt allow for enough springback if doing it in a vice :wink:

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 05:21 PM
Well, a bit more progress today. I drilled 2 rivit holes to hold the sides together while refining them to the same shape.
Once I get the outline cut and cleaned up, I will drill the rest of the holes, drawfile the edges, and polish the inside faces that will be visible in the throat of the plane.
Then onto bending the sides, once I am happy with the bend, I will mark out and cut the bottom plate.

Simplicity
4th October 2020, 05:54 PM
Well, a bit more progress today. I drilled 2 rivit holes to hold the sides together while refining them to the same shape.
Once I get the outline cut and cleaned up, I will drill the rest of the holes, drawfile the edges, and polish the inside faces that will be visible in the throat of the plane.
Then onto bending the sides, once I am happy with the bend, I will mark out and cut the bottom plate.

Absolutely fantastic table cloth I reckon a 1940 vintage but good be wrong.
I don’t really care for the other stuff, except sounds just like me lol.
Great minds think a like [emoji6]

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 06:04 PM
Absolutely fantastic table cloth I reckon a 1940 vintage but good be wrong.
I don’t really care for the other stuff, except sounds just like me lol.
Great minds think a like [emoji6]

Cheers Matt.
Oho, yes the tablecloth. It’s a family heirloom, made by my Mother earlier this year.
It will only be used for special occasions, like impressing the judges :cool: .

Simplicity
4th October 2020, 06:14 PM
Oho, yes the tablecloth. It’s a family heirloom, made by my Mother earlier this year.
It will only be used for special occasions, like impressing the judges :cool: .

I can’t beat that , game over lol.

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 06:42 PM
I can’t beat that , game over lol.

Cheers Matt.
I thought you were going strong with your 1930’s vintage cloth :q

Simplicity
4th October 2020, 07:27 PM
I thought you were going strong with your 1930’s vintage cloth :q

I think it’s possible more a 50s vintage, everything else in this house is 1950s .

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
4th October 2020, 08:44 PM
I think it’s possible more a 50s vintage, everything else in this house is 1950s .

Cheers Matt.
What’s 20 years in the scheme of things, a mere blink of an eye. :;

Mountain Ash
5th October 2020, 08:40 AM
Well done on the tablecloth Brad. Thought the little embroidered flowers probably have the edge over Matt's previous efforts.

Oh and the plane is coming along nicely too :p

Ironwood
5th October 2020, 09:00 AM
Well done on the tablecloth Brad. Thought the little embroidered flowers probably have the edge over Matt's previous efforts.

Oh and the plane is coming along nicely too :p
Cheers MA, my Mum does very nice cross-stitching and embroidery, she has won many competitions with her work.

I will amble back down to the shed again once my caffeine level starts to peak, and do a bit more.
My free days are about to come to an end again, as I have to head off to do less pleasant things, like work and earn money to pay the bills :(

Ironwood
5th October 2020, 09:25 PM
Brad,
This whole thing is about caring and sharing, can you not feel the LOVE.
Cheers Matt.

I couldnt help but feel some of the love today Matt. :2tsup:

Ironwood
5th October 2020, 09:40 PM
Despite Ians advice, I still went ahead and drilled the holes in my sides, I might live to regret it, but hopefully I can pull it off.

Those with Eagles eyes will notice I have put the pins on the sides, the tails will be going on the sole. I decided I would go this way after reading a post by David Chee on Instagram saying it was easier to do it this way if you are going with curved sides, seems to make sense to me. Hopefully he is right.
I am ready to put the bends into the side plates now, then I can start on the sole plate.

Simplicity
5th October 2020, 09:59 PM
I couldnt help but feel some of the love today Matt. :2tsup:

I can feel and see it lol.

Simplicity
5th October 2020, 10:00 PM
Despite Ians advice, I still went ahead and drilled the holes in my sides, I might live to regret it, but hopefully I can pull it off.

Those with Eagles eyes will notice I have put the pins on the sides, the tails will be going on the sole. I decided I would go this way after reading a post by David Chee on Instagram saying it was easier to do it this way if you are going with curved sides, seems to make sense to me. Hopefully he is right.
I am ready to put the bends into the side plates now, then I can start on the sole plate.

Brad,
The sides are looking very clean and orderly, I reckon you might be on a winner there.

Cheers Matt.

Mountain Ash
5th October 2020, 10:39 PM
I agree with Matt. Looks like good progress Brad.

Oldgreybeard
6th October 2020, 08:29 AM
I have a sneaky feeling that Brad is getting out his macro photography gear to get that level of detail and sharpness of the curves:D

Looking good Brad, keep it going

Cheers Bob

Cklett
6th October 2020, 12:28 PM

That is looking really good. But I have to warn you. Everything you show and I can learn from, can and will be used in my plane build!

Depending on my experiences with my practise scrub plane I am also thinking of rounding / bending the sides of my scraper plane. I feel with 80mm width it'll be too bulky otherwise. So I will be watching with keen eye on your build to see how the rounded sides will come along ;-)

Ironwood
6th October 2020, 01:56 PM
I have a sneaky feeling that Brad is getting out his macro photography gear to get that level of detail and sharpness of the curves:D

Looking good Brad, keep it going

Cheers Bob
Well my best macro lens also doubles as my best product photography lens Bob :-

Same lens I took these with-
Nikon AF55D f2.8
Pretty sure these would load bigger than this forum likes so I just made them medium size, click on them if you want to see bigger.

Ironwood
6th October 2020, 01:58 PM
That is looking really good. But I have to warn you. Everything you show and I can learn from, can and will be used in my plane build!

Depending on my experiences with my practise scrub plane I am also thinking of rounding / bending the sides of my scraper plane. I feel with 80mm width it'll be too bulky otherwise. So I will be watching with keen eye on your build to see how the rounded sides will come along ;-)
Thanks CK, I am learning as I go too. But if my trial and error helps in any way, be my guest and take what you can.

Ironwood
6th October 2020, 02:07 PM
I havent had much time to go down to the shed today, but I did get an hour before lunch.
The formers or cauls that I made didnt bend the sides nearly enough, so I had to make another set.
These ones got close, I just had to move the brass forward and backwards and clamp in the vice a few times to get enough bend on them.

Here you can see how much springback is involved, and this is after I put a bit more bend into them.

They fit pretty well over the plan I drew up, so I am happy with how they are.

Bushmiller
6th October 2020, 04:18 PM

Nikon AF55D f2.8
Pretty sure these would load bigger than this forum likes so I just made them medium size, click on them if you want to see bigger.

Brad

I saw the eyes and immediately it took me back to the French cartoon series that was aired on the ABC called Minuscule. A series of five or ten minute segments based on insects.

This is a trailer for a film and is in English

Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants Official International Trailer #1 (2016) HD - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF6kI_nSza4&list=PLuzE2RcHJg1XeNwhXm98ret137ReV28Zo&index=41)

Most of the TV versions have no spoken sound. This one revolves around a ladybug, flies and a spider.

Minuscule - The Ladybug - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBazHpnPd2I&list=PLuzE2RcHJg1XeNwhXm98ret137ReV28Zo&index=7)

Sorry for the digression, but the "ayes have it."

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
6th October 2020, 04:47 PM

Nikon AF55D f2.8

There amazing pics.

Ironwood
6th October 2020, 05:22 PM
Brad

I saw the eyes and immediately it took me back to the French cartoon series that was aired on the ABC called Minuscule. A series of five or ten minute segments based on insects.

This is a trailer for a film and is in English

Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants Official International Trailer #1 (2016) HD - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF6kI_nSza4&list=PLuzE2RcHJg1XeNwhXm98ret137ReV28Zo&index=41)

Most of the TV versions have no spoken sound. This one revolves around a ladybug, flies and a spider.

Minuscule - The Ladybug - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBazHpnPd2I&list=PLuzE2RcHJg1XeNwhXm98ret137ReV28Zo&index=7)

Sorry for the digression, but the "ayes have it."

Regards
Paul
Cheers Paul, I didn’t know about them before, I just watched the 2nd one, got a laugh.
With Macro Insect Photography, it’s all about the eyes, if you don’t get the eyes in perfect focus you might as well discard the pic. With this magnification, your focal pane is less than a millimeter deep, so takes a bit of practice when you are not using a tripod, and manually focusing.

Bushmiller
6th October 2020, 07:53 PM
:whs:

Regards
Paul

Ps: I was too slow. The sign referred to Simplicity :)

Bushmiller
6th October 2020, 08:07 PM
Cheers Paul, I didn’t know about them before, I just watched the 2nd one, got a laugh.
With Macro Insect Photography, it’s all about the eyes, if you don’t get the eyes in perfect focus you might as well discard the pic. With this magnification, your focal pane is less than a millimeter deep, so takes a bit of practice when you are not using a tripod, and manually focusing.

Brad

I can imagine but it is a level of focus that is quite beyond my comprehension. The pix are clearly amazing. I will look forward to the pix of your planes,

Regards
Paul

Ironwood
6th October 2020, 09:00 PM
Brad

I can imagine but it is a level of focus that is quite beyond my comprehension. The pix are clearly amazing. I will look forward to the pix of your planes,

Regards
Paul
No worries Paul. Bob and I were part of the Photo Forums when they were a going concern, so that’s where Bobs comments spring from. I have thousands of such photos from back then. Some are comp winners , others are also rans.

Ironwood
6th October 2020, 09:15 PM
Not much more progress today, I did start to mark out the sole on the 6mm stainless, was using a red marking pen to paint the stainless for marking onto. It left a lot to be desired.
Very hard for old tired eyes to see the marks.
I tried making some marking fluid out of acrylic lacquer and mixing some blue fountain pen ink in, wasn’t real successful, the ink didn’t blend very well with the lacquer and needed a lot more ink than I was prepared to sacrifice for an experiment, so read that as a fail.
Next week when I get back from work I will try and source some proper marking fluid, maybe Blackwoods carry it.
I expect to get very little done tomorrow, maybe I’ll check out some timber out of the stacks. After that it will be another week before I get to do any more. But I will still be in planning mode while away.

IanW
8th October 2020, 12:04 PM
Brad, Blackwoods do indeed have layout dye, or the one near me does, at least, but the smallest size they sell is a litre, which will cost you the best part of $50 with GST and would last you at least 100 years!

It's certainly better than blue felt pen, by a comfortable margin, but maybe a cheaper alternative like this (https://www.seton.net.au/spray-and-mark-layout-paint-1.html), or even this (https://www.poscart.com.au/uniball-posca-pc-17k-pc17k-individual-pen-blue/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwLORyuSj7AIVWX8rCh0YdQzKEAQYAyABEgLlSvD_BwE)might be more economical.

I like the idea of the spray can - easy, quick & clean and one can should do quite a few planes.

If anyone has used the spray-can stuff, how did you find it? If it does the job well, I'd like to be able to recommend it as a better less expensive alternative than a felt-pen...

Cheers,

Simplicity
8th October 2020, 12:25 PM
Just a little cry from me,

I have a 20 year old bottle of engineering Blue sitting on my shelf at Home(approximately 1.45 min from we’re I am now.)
I would estimate I’ve used about 12 percent some of which would be spillage.
Ok Cry over with sorry.

cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
8th October 2020, 01:10 PM
Brad, Blackwoods do indeed have layout dye, or the one near me does, at least, but the smallest size they sell is a litre, which will cost you the best part of $50 with GST and would last you at least 100 years!

It's certainly better than blue felt pen, by a comfortable margin, but maybe a cheaper alternative like this (https://www.seton.net.au/spray-and-mark-layout-paint-1.html), or even this (https://www.poscart.com.au/uniball-posca-pc-17k-pc17k-individual-pen-blue/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwLORyuSj7AIVWX8rCh0YdQzKEAQYAyABEgLlSvD_BwE)might be more economical.

I like the idea of the spray can - easy, quick & clean and one can should do quite a few planes.

If anyone has used the spray-can stuff, how did you find it? If it does the job well, I'd like to be able to recommend it as a better less expensive alternative than a felt-pen...

Cheers,

Ian

The product in the first link is intended for marking out lines on the ground. It works well for that but I am not sure about layout on small items such as we are considering: It is a coarse type of paint spray. The second link came up with an error (page removed) for me when I clicked on the product description or how to use.

Regards
Paul

doug3030
8th October 2020, 01:15 PM

I have a 1 litre bottle of marking fluid, and I'm sure it did not cost $50.

But then, I am well into the 100 years expected lifespan too. :rolleyes:

IanW
8th October 2020, 02:17 PM
Ian

The product in the first link is intended for marking out lines on the ground. It works well for that but I am not sure about layout on small items such as we are considering: It is a coarse type of paint spray. The second link came up with an error (page removed) for me when I clicked on the product description or how to use.

Regards
Paul

Paul, the first link takes you to a place that has all sorts of spray inks, if you snuffle round the site a bit. Not sure what the difference is between the various inks they sell, but they do say that some are suitable for marking steel. Maybe they aren't the right stuff, but it could be a case of "off lable" use being satisfactory.

The second link is working fine for me - try holding your mouth differently... :U

Doug, I got my can of dye from H&F, & I'm sure I paid close to $50 at the time, but I can't find it on their site, anywhere. Surely they'd carry it!
Blackwoods price for a litre is a few cents shy of $40 GST inclusive, so I was a little bit pessimistic.....

Matt, cheer up, at this rate, you can of dye will last you even longer.... :D

Cheers,