PDA

View Full Version : Challenge 2020-2021 Jools13

jools13
14th September 2020, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys great idea - For those who don't know me i'm Doug3030's partner so if pictures look look similar its because we share a workspace - i'll just show what i've been making recently

Hope that you have a great day
Jools

Bushmiller
15th September 2020, 07:14 PM
Hi Jools

I feel as though I do know you having seen you make a guest appearance on the "Prattle." (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/friday-lunch-prattle-234530/10) The Santoku is my preferred shape kitchen knife.

Just for a moment I thought you were actually entering the plane challenge itself. If you decide to do just that, I can put you in touch with a bloke down your way who can help with the blades. I think you would be well placed to negotiate a favourable deal :)

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
15th September 2020, 07:31 PM
Jools13.
We will need clarification please, are you entering the plane building 2020 competition thingy.
Yes or No.
If so, the brother hood may need to protect Doug.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
15th September 2020, 08:19 PM
Yes, Jools will be entering the Plane Making Competition - once she gets sick of playing with my new drill press. Oops, I mean her new embroidery machine, which by coincidence cost exactly as much as the Nova Voyager drill press I was about to buy. :doh:

She can make her own bloody blades. :~

Aussiephil
15th September 2020, 10:51 PM
Welcome aboard flight 2021 - the plane adventure.

may I suggest that you make a plane embroidered plane cover with Dougs new drill press... :) that should impress the plane enthused judge with some out of the box plane thinking

now I think that is just plane enough out of me

Mountain Ash
16th September 2020, 08:59 AM
Always love a play on words - particularly flight 2021, noice! Reminds me of searching for wooden planes on ebay, sometimes the result is a toy with wings :doh:

doug3030
16th September 2020, 09:02 AM
Always love a play on words - particularly flight 2021, noice! Reminds me of searching for wooden planes on ebay, sometimes the result is a toy with wings :doh:

Another one to try is "plane floats", which are of course, tools for making planes. Google thinks they are what seaplanes land on.

Chief Tiff
16th September 2020, 03:43 PM
I decided I wanted to learn how to fly so I ordered a book called "Plane Basics".

I learned how to plough, trench, rebate and smooth before I realised my rookie error :rolleyes:

Looking forwards to seeing your work Jools!

jools13
23rd September 2020, 06:16 PM
Jools13.
We will need clarification please, are you entering the plane building 2020 competition thingy.
Yes or No.
If so, the brother hood may need to protect Doug.

Cheers Matt.

Yes from me i'm making a plane !!!

Simplicity
23rd September 2020, 06:26 PM
Doug,
May need “Protection” in the future, if we have two competitors living under the same roof,and using the same workshop space.
It could get ugly!!!!!

Cheers Matt.

Oldgreybeard
23rd September 2020, 09:23 PM
Yes from me i'm making a plane !!!

I have it on good authority (Jools) that she is making real plane and not just embroidering an plane on a fancy tablecloth. We could try and negotiate such a table cloth as part of the prize pool:2tsup:

jools13
14th June 2021, 10:02 PM
ok have done some work - but it will be ready in time for judging cheers all Jools

Chief Tiff
14th June 2021, 10:27 PM
First of all; nice embroidery!
Secondly; welcome back to the challenge!
Thirdly; watchya makin?

At first glance it’s looking a bit like a wooden soled chisel plane; is that oak?

Fourthly; give Doug a gentle nudge in the kidneys and enquire as to when he will be back on track also!

Simplicity
14th June 2021, 10:32 PM
Ye
What he said,

Cheers Matt.[emoji6]

jools13
14th June 2021, 10:49 PM
Nudge Given

- - - Updated - - -

Nudge Given

jools13
14th June 2021, 10:56 PM
First of all; nice embroidery!
Secondly; welcome back to the challenge!
Thirdly; watchya makin?

At first glance it’s looking a bit like a wooden soled chisel plane; is that oak?

Fourthly; give Doug a gentle nudge in the kidneys and enquire as to when he will be back on track also!

Hey

Quarter sawn French Oak and yes it is a Chisel Plane and thanks re the embroidery it's part of another project !!!

and Doug said thanks for the Nudge ( but we have plenty of time yet !!!! HEHEHHEHE ) Hope that your going well !!!

Cheers Jools

Cklett
15th June 2021, 09:15 AM
Cool, an other type of plane! Looks like there will be a great sprint to the finishing line.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Ironwood
15th June 2021, 10:09 AM
Looking forward to seeing this transform into the finished product Jools.

Simplicity
15th June 2021, 01:43 PM
Cool, an other type of plane! Looks like there will be a great sprint to the finishing line.

I’m personally thinking there may be more of a trip an fumble over the finish line,especially my self [emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

jools13
20th June 2021, 03:32 PM
have been working on my plane - slot for bolt sorted out -

Bevel ground to the 25 degree angle

it's been in the forge differentially quenched so the non bevelled edge is not hardened

no cracks no warps

Happy me 496481496482496483496484

jools13
20th June 2021, 03:50 PM
and more

jools13
20th June 2021, 07:42 PM
some more - all fingers intact

Simplicity
20th June 2021, 09:46 PM
Is this another plane racing to the finish line,
It’s looking very busy in the workshop.

Cheers Matt.

jools13
21st June 2021, 07:22 PM
getting closer - more to come

Simplicity
21st June 2021, 08:32 PM
Looking good Jools.

Cheers Matt.

jools13
22nd June 2021, 07:33 PM
one of the things i have been able to do with this build is Recycle some of the wood and the brass left overs from another project - the bolt was one doug made a mistake with but i was able to Tap the tread and make the bushing sleeve for it to go through . it's looking good so far

very happy with what i have achieved so far

cheers Jools

Cklett
22nd June 2021, 07:45 PM
Ah, that's what's happening. From your former post I was wondering how such long bolt would fit.....

doug3030
22nd June 2021, 08:44 PM
one of the things i have been able to do with this build is Recycle some of the wood and the brass left overs from another project - the bolt was one doug made a mistake with but i was able to Tap the tread and make the bushing sleeve for it to go through . it's looking good so far

That bolt was originally going to be used to hold the end on one of he handles for the vises on my workbench. Being fairly new to the metal lathe, I was trying to work out ways to improve efficiency, minimizing tool changes etc by doing the work in the right order.

With that bolt, I streamlined the procedure just a bit far; resulting in the bolt being parted off of the end of the bar stock before I cleaned up the shank and tapped the thread on it. :rolleyes:

Consequently, that unfinished bolt had a special place in the shed, right next to the metal lathe, as a constant reminder to check that all the work was done before parting off.

The other day Jools picked that bolt up and recognized it's potential for inclusion in her plane build. I figured it had done it's job of reminding me for long enough now so I gave it to her. She cleaned up the shank with wet&dry and tapped the thread before cutting it to length.

Making the brass bushing was her first go at the metal lathe. She did very well.

Simplicity
22nd June 2021, 10:12 PM
Nice Job Jools,
Will you be giving the brass a bit of spit and polish?

Cheers Matt.

jools13
23rd June 2021, 08:26 PM
it makes shavings .
more to come

Simplicity
23rd June 2021, 10:11 PM
Nicccccce,

Just what we like.
A shaving you got too be happy with that.

Well done Jools, top stuff.

Cheers Matt.

labr@
24th June 2021, 12:14 AM
Looks cool Jools!

What's the bed angle and how did you select the bed and bevel angles?

Oldgreybeard
24th June 2021, 09:21 AM
Congratulations Jools, looking good.

Bob

jools13
24th June 2021, 08:52 PM
Looks cool Jools!

What's the bed angle and how did you select the bed and bevel angles?

i'ts all in this book !!

doug3030
14th December 2021, 09:47 PM
I was giving the plane Jools made quite a workout today and I was wondering if any of the other competition entries had seen much action.

I have been gluing up some panels from some recycled stair treads I picked up recently in the Marketplace.

That little chisel plane is just the thing for cleaning up the glue lines. The joins in the panels are all but disappearing as the plane takes it super-fine shavings. She did a great job on the heat treating of the blade too. The edge is holding up beautifully.

Mountain Ash
15th December 2021, 06:59 AM
Hi Doug. I don't use my chamfer plane as much as I thought I might due to the size of the body. My "reason" for "needing" this type of plane was to more accurately cut chamfers on the moulding planes I was making. But on the wider sizes, the the lower half of the moulding plane body fouled the chamfer planes side and limits the depth of cut! Probably means I need to make a new one.

labr@
18th December 2021, 01:29 PM
I've used mine quite a bit making boxes. I suspect a bought one would be better but it does quite well.

505180 505181 505182 505183

The only downside is that I designed my mitre shooting board to hold a standard plane at 45 degrees so the new plane tends to fall over if let go. Not a huge issue but I think I'll make an attachment for my other shooting board to hold the work up at 45 degrees instead of the plane.

Cklett
18th December 2021, 02:25 PM
I've used mine quite a bit making boxes. I suspect a bought one would be better but it does quite well.

505180 505181 505182 505183

The only downside is that I designed my mitre shooting board to hold a standard plane at 45 degrees so the new plane tends to fall over if let go. Not a huge issue but I think I'll make an attachment for my other shooting board to hold the work up at 45 degrees instead of the plane.
505184It's great to see the challenge planes being used.

With your falling plane do I see there a good reason to make a new shooting board? [emoji16]

Simplicity
18th December 2021, 06:20 PM
It’s great too see everyone using there Challenge plane,Mission accomplished I say.

The Body has been used only a few times,she does plane nicely tho,but it was only some red gum an pine.

Cheers Matt.