PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shipping a pallet interstate; vendor recommendations?

Chief Tiff
23rd September 2020, 09:30 AM
Hi all;

I'm very interested in purchasing the Record Coronet lathe currently on sale in the marketplace forum; but obviously I have to arrange shipping. The vendor is willing to strap it all down onto a pallet and wrap it; I'm conservatively guesstimating the pallet will be a standard size, will be no higher than 700mm overall high and will weigh ~$250kg. It now needs to travel from Lilli-Pilli in NSW to Bundy in Godzown.

So; I need to find a shipping company who can do a door to door service and will provide a tail-lift + pallet truck at each end. I know we've had fellow members do this sort of thing before so I'm reaching to anybody who has had genuine experience in engaging a freight company for this type of one-off job.

Thanks in advance guys.

jonsey850
23rd September 2020, 09:49 AM
Land Transport has the best rates I could find for one off private customer shipping.

They quoted me $450 to get a lathe from SA to Rocky (business to business though).

If you get it delivered to somewhere with a forklift you will save money, one less tail gate fee.

If you know anyone that has a business account with a freight company that would probably be the cheapest way.

Freight is a necessary evil living above Brisbane, not much of anything worth buying second hand in the north.

mic-d
23rd September 2020, 03:32 PM
I've used truckit.net several times to aggregate quotes for shipping.

Chief Tiff
23rd September 2020, 07:29 PM
Thanks Mic-d & Jonesey;

I sent a request through to Truck-it last night but haven’t had a reply yet.

I’ll try Land Transport tomorrow.

riverbuilder
23rd September 2020, 07:43 PM
I’ve had good success with truckit.

ian
24th September 2020, 04:19 PM
Noosa Van Lines are a furniture removalist company who do a door to door service between Sydney (in my case a storage place in Cremorne) and the Sunshine Coast. It would be worth a call to see if they might be willing to go the extra 500 km (return) to Bundy.
I paid about $1600 for a 1/3 of a container load delivered to the Sunny Coast.
From memory, Sydney pickups are done on Tuesdays and it's a flat rate anywhere in the Sydney area.