PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Box

Guy
19th November 2005, 12:13 AM
I want to build a torsion box 800 * 1800mm in size as per attached file. I want to place castors on the corners hence the missing parts. Would this affect the overal strength of the box. The use will be the base of my new workbench which will contain a table saw and router, with plenty of drawer and cupboard space

Greg Q
19th November 2005, 12:25 AM
Hi Guy...

I couldn't open the .xls file, so I'll just mention that the torsion box's strength
comes from the webs rigidly transmitting the loads to the skins, adding beam strength. If you don't change that you should have no problems. There are no
issues with having a non-rectangular shape in plan. Good luck.

Greg

Harry72
19th November 2005, 12:55 AM
Are the missing corner parts on your design to allow the wheels to be sunken into the base, castors being screwed to the underside top layer of the torsion box?(Im assuming the bottom layer of the box is cut out in the corners?)
Cant see it affecting the strength that much so long as the top layer of the box is off decent thickness to support the weight of the workbench(which will be considerable).

zymurgy
19th November 2005, 09:15 AM
Guy,

I don't think you need to go to so much trouble for inside panels. See David Marks Torsion Box (http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_materials_products/article/0,2049,DIY_14442_2278181,00.html)