PDA

View Full Version : Challenge 2020 - 2021 Picko

Pages : [1] 2

Picko
27th September 2020, 08:35 PM
Right, I tried to do this earlier but failed miserably, I can only hope that I’m a better plane builder.
For a long time now I have thought I would like to have a go at plane building and even had materials put aside for a bevel up smoother. I abandoned the idea when I realized that I already had five smoothers and too many other projects. I had fantasized about a dovetail construction but I have decided to start at a more realistic level.
I’m now 450km from my shed, and will be for another two weeks, so there will be time for planning this project which is something that I don’t normally spend enough time on.
The plan is a bevel up shoulder plane with a 15deg bed and a sort of infill style. Early planning looks like this.

Simplicity
27th September 2020, 09:34 PM
Right, I tried to do this earlier but failed miserably, I can only hope that I’m a better plane builder.
For a long time now I have thought I would like to have a go at plane building and even had materials put aside for a bevel up smoother. I abandoned the idea when I realized that I already had five smoothers and too many other projects. I had fantasized about a dovetail construction but I have decided to start at a more realistic level.
I’m now 450km from my shed, and will be for another two weeks, so there will be time for planning this project which is something that I don’t normally spend enough time on.
The plan is a bevel up shoulder plane with a 15deg bed and a sort of infill style. Early planning looks like this.

Picko,
That looks like a great plane build,
Not sure how many Bevel up planes are being done?
Make sure to keep us posted,even if it’s just random idea changes extra.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
27th September 2020, 11:36 PM
Another contender producing enineering quality drawings. Where's my hari kari knife? Hell! I don't think I got it to the hardening/tempering stages :doh:

:D

Welcome Picko to the circus.

Regards
Paul

Sheets
28th September 2020, 04:38 AM
Welcome to the pressure-cooker of plane-making performance.

Maybe this competition should be in two parts - one for those who know what their doing, and one for me :? :C.

Bushmiller
28th September 2020, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the pressure-cooker of plane-making performance.

Maybe this competition should be in two parts - one for those who know what their doing, and one for me :? :C.

Sheets

Perhaps I could participate in your group (of two) as coming second doesn't sound so bad as last.

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
28th September 2020, 09:47 AM
Welcome on board Flight 2021 - the plane the plane

Maybe we should split into
Those that can draw and those that can't.

Then into

I've never done this before - me
I've tried and failed -
i've built a couple -
I'm a plane master, i can fly with the eagles

Cheers
Phil

Sheets
28th September 2020, 09:52 AM
We can all invent our own category; then everybody wins!

But seriously, I guess we should just duke it out (or pay big bribes :D).

Picko
28th September 2020, 10:07 AM
Thanks all - I think!
I'm sure there will be plenty of random changes to document Matt. Give me a break on the drawings Paul, the laptop is the only tool that I have at my disposal for another two weeks so you can expect to see plenty more. It looks like my group will be the can draw/never done this before group.
Now back to the planning of the plane.

Picko
29th September 2020, 05:58 PM
I've stolen a blade adjuster design from the web. I guess if it doesn't work I can just bin it and use a hammer. :U

I also drew a shape for what the brass sides might look like???

That's it for the day. It was too nice outside.

Simplicity
29th September 2020, 07:19 PM
I've stolen a blade adjuster design from the web. I guess if it doesn't work I can just bin it and use a hammer. :U

I also drew a shape for what the brass sides might look like???

That's it for the day. It was too nice outside.

Is the green line representing what the brass will look like with some patina on it ?.

I’m impressed with all these computer modeling going on.

Cheers Matt.

Picko
29th September 2020, 07:33 PM
Yeah Matt the current plan is green is brass. The patina might be starting to form because my design is taking so long, but if I hurry the process I'll have nothing left to do till I get home. What is bound to happen then is re-design and re-design.:C

Simplicity
29th September 2020, 07:42 PM
Yeah Matt the current plan is green is brass. The patina might be starting to form because my design is taking so long, but if I hurry the process I'll have nothing left to do till I get home. What is bound to happen then is re-design and re-design.:C

The re design is all part of the fun,I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of that going on :-).

Cheers Matt.

Oldgreybeard
29th September 2020, 08:14 PM
The re design is all part of the fun,I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of that going on :-).

Cheers Matt.

Some of us have no option but to redesign. Even though we provided computer designed drawings, we also just make dumb mistakes (Not owning up to anything):((

Starting design #3 tomorrow:2tsup:

Cheers Bob

Picko
29th September 2020, 08:36 PM
Yeah but I've already done all this in my head on the sleepless nights while I was still fence sitting.:-

Picko
30th September 2020, 06:00 PM
So after much error and some trial I have something that represents a lever cap of sorts. This stuff hurts my head.

Simplicity
30th September 2020, 06:11 PM
So after much error and some trial I have something that represents a lever cap of sorts. This stuff hurts my head.

Picko,
Will the lever cap screw bear down on the body,
It looks like it’s pushing on the blade,
No hang on it’s pushing on the blade,of course, my fault.

Cheers Matt.

Picko
3rd October 2020, 06:09 PM
Not much progress on the planning from me, the weather here has been too good. I have been thinking about it though and of course keep changing my mind on things.
I originally had thought that I would have cast iron infills for the sole (I've got an old stormwater grate that I can get that from) and the upper section was to be mostly open, with just some steel spacers as below.
But in the name of looks and usability, I'm starting to lean towards timber infills as below.
So when the weather turns nasty in the next couple of days I might draw some timber in and see what it looks like. I've got a 3D model started, so I'll see if I can get it plotted in on the model.
Stay tuned.

IanW
5th October 2020, 12:10 PM
My first shoulder plane was remarkably similar to what you've drawn, Picko. In my case I used brass core pieces and sweated the sides to the core pieces. The front is infilled, and the wooden wedge pivots on screws through each side. To apply pressure, a long screw though the wedge fits a brass nut insert on the underside of the wedge & bears on the blade as with your design. 482290

If I'd used a fixed toe like on your drawing, I would have to remove the screws & take out the wedge/lever cap to remove the blade every time it needs sharpening, so I added a moveable toe piece which can be slid forward, allowing the blade to be taken out via the mouth.

I guess I wanted to include an adjustable toe anyway, but a simpler solution would have been to have a 'loose' wedge engaging a cross-pin or bridge, still using the thumbscrew for tightening it.

My more 'evolved' design has a fixed brass bridge, which is drilled & tapped for a thumbscrew. The thumbscrew bears down on the middle of the wedge, which is slightly 'sprung' so that there is good pressure on the blade near the cutting edge. 482293

A small brass insert epoxied into the top of the wedge takes the force of the thumbscrew so it doesn't chew up the wood (& helps to locate the wedge in the right spot). This system allows a fixed mouth & the wedge/lever is easily removed & the blade withdrawn through the wedge tunnel.

An advantage of the wooden wedge/lever cap is it gives you something to hang onto when using the plane against a high shoulder.

Cheers,

Pagie
5th October 2020, 01:47 PM
I'm still in the thinking about it. No Idea what I am building yet.:?

Mountain Ash
5th October 2020, 10:43 PM
C'mon Pagie. Weren't you the 1st one to sign up? :U

Pagie
5th October 2020, 10:52 PM
But now I'm getting sad as I don't have any skills in metal working. May have to make one from clay.

IanW
6th October 2020, 08:09 AM
But now I'm getting sad as I don't have any skills in metal working....

But you WILL have, after you've banged a plane or two together - c'mon Pagie, this is your chance to learn.....
Cheers,

Oldgreybeard
6th October 2020, 08:21 AM
But now I'm getting sad as I don't have any skills in metal working. May have to make one from clay.

You can join me Pagie and make a wooden plane - only steel allowed for the blade. First I've get to get my neck and shoulder problems under control again - filing and similar actions are a pain:((

Have a look at what Mountain Ash's latest photo Challenge 2020 -2021 MountainAsh (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f316/challenge-2020-2021-mountainash-237116/4)

Cheers,
Bob

Simplicity
6th October 2020, 08:27 AM

Like Ian said Paige,
You got to start somewhere, here you will get heaps of mostly honest advice,

Cheers Matt.

Pagie
6th October 2020, 03:33 PM
I just got some wood delivered yesterday for my plane.482331

Bushmiller
6th October 2020, 04:02 PM
I just got some wood delivered yesterday for my plane.482331

Whoa! It's gonna be big....One log for the body and the other for the wedge. Where does the blade go?

Regards
Paul

Picko
6th October 2020, 04:07 PM
The forecast was right and I've been indoors today, so I have my design complete - I think.

Just have to produce some dimensioned drawings and I'm ready to go when I get home next week. Oh hang on, I haven't sourced any brass yet! I'll get onto that now.

Bushmiller
6th October 2020, 04:20 PM
Picko

The drawings are looking good.

Regards
Paul

Pagie
6th October 2020, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=Bushmiller;2211862]Whoa! It's gonna be big....One log for the body and the other for the wedge. Where does the blade go?

Don't need no blade, just use as a roller to flatten wood. Just got to cut it all up and and split it and stack it.

Regards Peter

Simplicity
6th October 2020, 06:45 PM
The forecast was right and I've been indoors today, so I have my design complete - I think.

Just have to produce some dimensioned drawings and I'm ready to go when I get home next week. Oh hang on, I haven't sourced any brass yet! I'll get onto that now.

Picko,
There pretty impressive drawings,just to confirm your using Brass for the sides, not Gold.

Cheers Matt.

Picko
6th October 2020, 07:57 PM
Give me a break Matt, I told the software that it was brass. You can't trust 'em! There isn't even bulloak listed in the wood renders so I had to use some random thing. This is gold. Veerrry bright-unlike me.

Mountain Ash
6th October 2020, 10:04 PM
Pretty fancy P.

Picko
8th October 2020, 05:34 PM
OK, planning is complete - until the build begins and I start re-designing on the run! (as I do).
Is it wrong to be happy that your holiday is over so you can get back to your shed? :-

So there it is. I'm not even sure that I can do some of the things that I've drawn but it will be fun trying.

Ironwood
8th October 2020, 05:44 PM
Looks really good on the plan Picko. Will be following your build with interest.

Simplicity
8th October 2020, 06:19 PM
Picko,
I think your in the lead for best well detailed plan,
Can’t wait to see the work in progress.

Cheers Matt.

Picko
8th October 2020, 09:24 PM
Thanks Matt, without a shed, it's all I have been able to do. I do have a bit of an edge there, as detailing has been my day job for the last 15 years. Unfortunately my metalwork skills are only in the fairly early stages of development, so it's a good thing I had the forced lengthy planning stage. :) It will be good to get into the manual stuff next week.

Mountain Ash
8th October 2020, 09:48 PM
Thanks Matt, without a shed, it's all I have been able to do. I do have a bit of an edge there, as detailing has been my day job for the last 15 years. Unfortunately my metalwork skills are only in the fairly early stages of development, so it's a good thing I had the forced lengthy planning stage. :) It will be good to get into the manual stuff next week.

Yaaay!!

banjopicks
9th October 2020, 07:00 AM
That drawing is nice. I hope you can make it all work.

Picko
15th October 2020, 07:53 AM
Wel I'm back to my shed.
It turns out my memory isn't as bad as I thought it was because in the box of plane bits was the blade that I could picture while I was designing the plane.

Picko
15th October 2020, 08:02 AM
I should be able to get what I need out of this, after a bit of gentle massage.:D

banjopicks
16th October 2020, 02:20 AM
I don't think I could bring myself to cut into an old iron like that. I have 2 old wooden planes that have blades like that, I don't use them but they work. I suppose if I found a total unsalvageable one I may think different about the blades and I've been thinking about buying some just for what you're doing. I would still have a hard time but I'm sure I'd get over it. As you were. Cut that sucker!

Picko
18th October 2020, 09:53 PM
I managed to sneak into the shed after yard duties and got a bit done. I roughed out the blade (Banjo made me do it). I did show respect to Mr Ward and kept his logo relatively intact (for now) :D.

Picko
18th October 2020, 10:03 PM
I also dragged out the old cast iron storm water grate, dispatched a couple of red back spiders and attacked it with the 230mm angle grinder which yielded the two sole pieces.

Picko
20th October 2020, 09:25 PM
Tonight I got all the cast iron shaping finished. Very happy about that because I find it horrid dusty stuff.
Because I don't have a mill, I did the thickness (20mm) in the four jaw on the lathe, which involved some inventive work holding.
I did the other faces on the disc sander. I had to use the amber liquid to wash the dust down.

Simplicity
21st October 2020, 06:59 AM
Tonight I got all the cast iron shaping finished. Very happy about that because I find it horrid dusty stuff.
Because I don't have a mill, I did the thickness (20mm) in the four jaw on the lathe, which involved some inventive work holding.
I did the other faces on the disc sander. I had to use the amber liquid to wash the dust down.

I’m sure that would have been a little nerve racking, machine the cast iron in the lathe like that.
It can be a pain trying to hold odd shape stuff in a four jaw chuck.

Looks good though good results.

Cheers Matt.

Cklett
21st October 2020, 01:02 PM
Great start I would say and good use of whatever means you have in your workshop.

Looking forward to progress.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Picko
26th October 2020, 11:36 AM
It's very quiet in here. Is that because everyone is busy peening, filing, sanding and polishing, or are you all just slacking off. :roll:
I've made a bit of progress and I'm quite happy with the results so far.
I ground the side bevels on the blade and cut the slot for the adjuster.
483453 483455
Drilled and tapped the rear sole for the blade adjuster.
Got the cap iron complete except for the timber trim.
I turned the blade adjuster from some brass and used a milling cutter in my drill press to put the grooves in by indexing with a square collet block for the first four and rotating 45° for the others.
Back in the lathe I finished the turning and drilled and threaded it.
I'm now wondering if I should make the cap screw to match the adjuster rather than just the plane knurling that I put on it.
So that's it from me for now.

Aussiephil
26th October 2020, 11:45 AM
I'll claim slacking off..... though really i'm waiting to get some hands on steel to make the blade....

That adjuster knob look awesome !!!!

Cheers
Phil

IanW
26th October 2020, 01:29 PM
Nice knob, I like it! No fingers slipping on that. But of course the lever cap knob will have to match - only top quality work allowed on these pages! :D

I'd like to be able to do a bit of milling like that on my DP, but it's of very mediocre quality & the quill deflects & chatters with all but the lightest of light cuts. I suspect I've done it no favours by using it with an arbor & slitting saw to slit about a hundred saw backs..... :no:

Cheers,

Picko
26th October 2020, 02:04 PM
But of course the lever cap knob will have to match

Oh B*^^#!, I was hoping someone would say that it was better if the two were different, and that would have been enough for me to leave it as it is. Oh well my brass order hasn't arrived yet so I suppose I should make the effort while I have nothing else to do except finish other stalled projects.

Simplicity
26th October 2020, 04:55 PM
It's very quiet in here. Is that because everyone is busy peening, filing, sanding and polishing, or are you all just slacking off. :roll:
I've made a bit of progress and I'm quite happy with the results so far.
I ground the side bevels on the blade and cut the slot for the adjuster.
483453 483455
Drilled and tapped the rear sole for the blade adjuster.
Got the cap iron complete except for the timber trim.
I turned the blade adjuster from some brass and used a milling cutter in my drill press to put the grooves in by indexing with a square collet block for the first four and rotating 45° for the others.
Back in the lathe I finished the turning and drilled and threaded it.
I'm now wondering if I should make the cap screw to match the adjuster rather than just the plane knurling that I put on it.
So that's it from me for now.

I think you should just go with the plain knurling, that way any of us mia mortals,can use Knurling and feel good about ourselves.

People I think the goal posts have just moved again [emoji3064].

Cheers Matt.

IanW
26th October 2020, 07:01 PM
Oh B*^^#!, I was hoping someone would say that it was better if the two were different, and that would have been enough for me to leave it as it is. Oh well my brass order hasn't arrived yet so I suppose I should make the effort while I have nothing else to do except finish other stalled projects.

Just winding you up, as you well know...:D

It's your plane, you should be the one to decide what you like better, don't listen to the riff-raff - be creative!
:U
Cheers,

Bushmiller
26th October 2020, 07:35 PM
Picko

The plane is coming up rather well. I think your cap screw should absolutely match your blade adjuster. No question about it.

Regards
Paul

(Ahem.. That is primarily to slow you down a bit.)

:-

Picko
26th October 2020, 09:14 PM
Yeah well now I'm confused. Anyway it's all too late, 'cause I've just spent an inordinate amount of time building a contraption that I can hopefully use to help me index and cut 12 flutes around said cap screw and I agree with some, it should match the other. Oh, it took quite a lot of amber brain lubricant also.

IanW
27th October 2020, 05:32 PM
Here y'go PIcko - a bit of hypocrisy from me.

I've become tired of diamond knurls on everything, too, & a couple of weeks ago I ordered a pair of straight wheels, which arrived today, so I had to give them a run immediately. I decided to make a new knob for my newish chariot plane that has been finding much favour in my shed of late.

The wheels are pretty coarse at 14tpi & they rattled & bumped their way round the hard (C380) brass I used, but got there eventually. The brass kept wanting to escape from the chuck when I engaged the screw feed, so I had to stop after every few runs & tighten it up again. I think the best approach on my little toy lathe will be to divide the brass into short sections so I'm only cutting very narrow widths at a time. It would probably do better on my mate's solid old Hercus, too.

Anyway, here's my plane wearing its new lever cap screw, but with the original diamond-knurled adjuster knob I made for it. 483533

I like this new thumbscrew better than the first one I made: 483534

But I don't think the coarse pitch would look right on a smaller diameter adjuster screw, so it'll have to remain a diamond pattern unless I decide to get a couple of finer wheels to do smaller diameters. Doesn't look too naff..

So I wouldn't rush to make a different adjuster knob for your plane before you have a good squizz at the finished article to see if it jars with you......
:)
Cheers,

Picko
28th October 2020, 10:48 AM
I've just spent an inordinate amount of time building a contraption....

which was a total failure.
Check back later for the sad/embarrassing photos when I remember to bring the camera in from the shed.

Picko
28th October 2020, 09:12 PM
So, as promised, failure pics.
The problem was that I had made some of the key components of my contraption from wood because I didn't have anything else of the size required. It just wasn't rigid enough and allowed the rotational forces to take over.
Anyway, I'm not going to let it beat me. Plan B is taking shape.

Simplicity
28th October 2020, 10:20 PM
So, as promised, failure pics.
The problem was that I had made some of the key components of my contraption from wood because I didn't have anything else of the size required. It just wasn't rigid enough and allowed the rotational forces to take over.
Anyway, I'm not going to let it beat me. Plan B is taking shape.

Don’t think that would easily file out either Picko?

But hood too see your not beaten yet[emoji106].

Cheers Matt.

Picko
28th October 2020, 10:41 PM
Don’t think that would easily file out either Picko?

But hood too see your not beaten yet[emoji106].

Cheers Matt.
Didn't think of a file! I've got a big Bastard too. :D

IanW
29th October 2020, 07:11 AM
You got very close to some tolerable knurling there, Picko. Can you show us/explain how you dunnit? Maybe the collective genius can help with a fix to "the contraption" that'll do the job for you. I'm always on the lookout for alternative ways to make thumbscrew heads.....

Cheers,

Picko
29th October 2020, 08:07 AM
You got very close to some tolerable knurling there, Picko. Can you show us/explain how you dunnit? Maybe the collective genius can help with a fix to "the contraption" that'll do the job for you. I'm always on the lookout for alternative ways to make thumbscrew heads.....

Cheers,

Umm, by accident. The original knurled knob was held in the contraption with a bolt and nut through some wood and also had the dividing plate from my wood lathe sandwiched in the mix. I was attempting 12 flutes but the rotational forces unscrewed the work which allowed it to lift and rotate resulting in the interesting pattern. More pics to come but work is in the way at the moment.

Picko
29th October 2020, 09:46 PM
With the second attempt I got the cap screw fluted. I've got a dividing head (patiently waiting for a mill to materialise) and had dismissed it because I 'worked out' that when rotated to vertical I wouldn't have enough height in the drill press. I re-visited this and found that there was just enough height.
483688Sorry, I can't get it to play the game.

Still waiting on my brass order so I dragged out a piece of bulloak and split a piece off.

Planed a flat side, cut a piece off with the bandsaw and planed to thickness.

I've also got the two pieces roughed out.

That's it from me for now.

Bushmiller
29th October 2020, 09:48 PM
Ooooh. Nice Bull Oak.

Regards
Paul

Mountain Ash
29th October 2020, 10:50 PM
More Bull Oak!!! Looks lovely

Sheets
30th October 2020, 12:29 AM
With the second attempt I got the cap screw fluted. I've got a dividing head (patiently waiting for a mill to materialise) and had dismissed it because I 'worked out' that when rotated to vertical I wouldn't have enough height in the drill press. I re-visited this and found that there was just enough height.
483688Sorry, I can't get it to play the game.

Still waiting on my brass order so I dragged out a piece of bulloak and split a piece off.

Planed a flat side, cut a piece off with the bandsaw and planed to thickness.

I've also got the two pieces roughed out.

That's it from me for now.

Man!. Shiny metal and nice wood - this is the place to be!

Simplicity
30th October 2020, 06:41 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201029/ad2633aa63cf715899c63be3b843f7e4.jpg

Simplicity
30th October 2020, 06:42 AM
That’s pretty impressive
Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
30th October 2020, 06:50 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201029/ad2633aa63cf715899c63be3b843f7e4.jpg

I want one.

Regards
Paul

Ironwood
30th October 2020, 08:28 AM
I want one.

Regards
Paul
Me too :oo:

Picko
30th October 2020, 09:27 AM
I want a milling machine to go with it. I've never used a mill before but they look handy and I hadn't used a metal lathe until I got one.

Picko
30th October 2020, 09:30 AM
That’s pretty impressive
Cheers Matt.
What's impressive is how you got my photo in the right orientation. I'm bu##*!ed if I could.

Simplicity
30th October 2020, 04:46 PM
What's impressive is how you got my photo in the right orientation. I'm bu##*!ed if I could.

I just save the pic on my phone album,
Then using the edit feature rotate the pic,
Then re post it,
That is length and width of me being IT savour tho lol.

Cheers Matt.

Mountain Ash
30th October 2020, 06:54 PM
I just save the pic on my phone album,
Then using the edit feature rotate the pic,
Then re post it,
That is length and width of me being IT savour tho lol.

Cheers Matt.

If it helps anyone, I have found that rotating the phone 90° and taking the photo in "landscape" mode means they always turn out right. I have a Samsung 20+

Picko
31st October 2020, 09:07 PM
Not a lot to report from my shed tonight.
I fitted the cap wood to the lever cap but that's about it.

I just had to do a bit of a mock up for a family shot.:)

Mountain Ash
1st November 2020, 09:39 AM
Looks like it's all coming together nicely.

Picko
11th November 2020, 03:54 PM
It's awfully quiet in here again! I've been listening for frantic cutting, peening, chiselling and filing, but nothing. My excuse is that my brass still hasn't materialised but what's happening with the rest of you lot. :U It did give me a chance to do a practise rivet peening, because I've never done it before, and it all went smoothly so bring on the brass!

Simplicity
11th November 2020, 05:02 PM
It's awfully quiet in here again! I've been listening for frantic cutting, peening, chiselling and filing, but nothing. My excuse is that my brass still hasn't materialised but what's happening with the rest of you lot. :U It did give me a chance to do a practise rivet peening, because I've never done it before, and it all went smoothly so bring on the brass!

It is very quite Picko,tho I did hear some rather bad expletives the other day, from certain forum member who has no shame.

Maybe ,there all very ,very busy [emoji41].

Cheers Matt.

Ironwood
11th November 2020, 06:15 PM
I just finished doing 7 nightshifts fixing broken trucks and loaders, too far from my shed.
I was hoping for plenty of action and updates to give me a fix at smoko times, but it has been very quite allright.
At least the expletive whisperer had a bit going on :D to keep us entertained :wink:.

You should have posted some photos of your rivets Picko, we could have all given you some encouragement :).

Picko
11th November 2020, 09:09 PM
You could be right Matt, they're probably busy re-making things. That's what usually follows expletives in my shed. :((

Picko
11th November 2020, 09:13 PM
OK Brad, you win on the excuses. Sorry about not providing smoko entertainment, I'll try to do better. No photo of the test rivet but I'll take one tomorrow if I think of it.

Bushmiller
11th November 2020, 09:43 PM
I just finished doing 7 nightshifts fixing broken trucks and loaders, too far from my shed.
I was hoping for plenty of action and updates to give me a fix at smoko times, but it has been very quite allright.
At least the expletive whisperer had a bit going on :D to keep us entertained :wink:.

You should have posted some photos of your rivets Picko, we could have all given you some encouragement :).

Brad

I am with you on the night shift experience. It increasingly leaves a person debilitated. We are just finishing returning one of our units to service after a scheduled outage. 12 hours of frustration tending towards purgatory.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
12th November 2020, 07:15 AM
Brad

I am with you on the night shift experience. It increasingly leaves a person debilitated. We are just finishing returning one of our units to service after a scheduled outage. 12 hours of frustration tending towards purgatory.

Regards
Paul

So you night shift boys, will be hitting the sheds running.?[emoji6]

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
12th November 2020, 08:57 AM
So you night shift boys, will be hitting the sheds running.?[emoji6]

Cheers Matt.

Actually Matt, about to hit the sack.

Regards
Paul

Picko
12th November 2020, 01:16 PM
Wake up you blokes. :D
OK, as promised, photos of my little test rivet. It's supposed to represent one end of the cap pin - Ø6 reduced to Ø4 and peened. It is pretty hard to see where it is, so I'm happy with that.

I've been informed that my brass will be in town first thing tomorrow. :fingerscrossed:

Picko
15th November 2020, 12:54 PM
You all think I've been quiet because I've been busy marking, cutting, peening, drilling and filing brass don't you. WRONG! I've been in the corner sulking because my bloody brass didn't come! :((
Back to the corner.

Mountain Ash
15th November 2020, 01:54 PM
Frustrating!!!!!!!!!

Cklett
15th November 2020, 01:59 PM
Frustrating!!!!!!!!!Yep, I hate waiting. Hope it arrives soon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bushmiller
15th November 2020, 02:22 PM
You all think I've been quiet because I've been busy marking, cutting, peening, drilling and filing brass don't you. WRONG! I've been in the corner sulking because my bloody brass didn't come! :((
Back to the corner.

Never mind Picko.

Monday's another day.

Regards
Paul

Chief Tiff
16th November 2020, 08:02 PM
It’s just fuelling the anticipation! :U

Picko
17th November 2020, 09:49 PM
lookout! I have brass. :yippy: :woot:

And I was so happy that I parked the car on it's rear end for the photo. :doh:

Picko
20th November 2020, 10:09 AM
No progress to report on the plane but I have an admission to make, I started another project while I was stalled and needed to finish it first. In my defence, it gave me some riveting practise for the rivets in the plane, so I'm calling it R & D.
The Bulloak was some left from the plane, the blade was cut from an old panel saw blade, the brass wear strips were from an old tile bar and the other brass (discs and rivets) came from my newly arrived stock.

484911 484912

I need to get some photography lessons from Brad. :(

Simplicity
20th November 2020, 10:55 AM
No progress to report on the plane but I have an admission to make, I started another project while I was stalled and needed to finish it first. In my defence, it gave me some riveting practise for the rivets in the plane, so I'm calling it R & D.
The Bulloak was some left from the plane, the blade was cut from an old panel saw blade, the brass wear strips were from an old tile bar and the other brass (discs and rivets) came from my newly arrived stock.

484911 484912

I need to get some photography lessons from Brad. :(

Your Shame doesn’t look to bad to me Picko,
Actually it looks very good, now a technical question,because I’ve wanted to build a square for ages, but have been single mindlessly,been focusing on my Plane build [emoji6].
How did get your square square,this is the point that’s been holding me back.
Did you just reference of another square,or use a surface plate and dial gauges or something?
Cheers Matt.

Pagie
20th November 2020, 11:39 AM
Your Shame doesn’t look to bad to me Picko,
Actually it looks very good, now a technical question,because I’ve wanted to build a square for ages, but have been single mindlessly,been focusing on my Plane build [emoji6].
How did get your square square,this is the point that’s been holding me back.
Did you just reference of another square,or use a surface plate and dial gauges or something?
Cheers Matt.

To square the square you just need an edge and a pencil, take a measurment from one side and flip the square over and see if it aligns with the other mark.

Picko
20th November 2020, 01:32 PM
I used my usual method to get it square Matt, I made it up as I went along. My theory was that the stock and the blade needed to be as parallel as I could get them to start with, and according to my vernier callipers I'm within 1/100th of a mm on both of them. I have a nice old Toledo toolmakers square which has always shown that it was very good so I used it to set up the new one. I had no idea how I could hold them in the right spot and attach the two pieces together so I ended up gluing them with PU glue first, with them clamped square. I checked them when the glue had set and then drilled and riveted them (three rivets through the inlaid discs). I haven't got any fancy measuring equipment but one test I did do which seems a bit more high tech :U than Pagies old faithful method was to hold the stock in the four jaw chuck on my lathe (stock firmly against the front of the chuck and parallel to the bed and blade propped with a high tech stick :U to keep it parallel to the bed) and run a dial indicator, held in the tool block ,along the blade. This showed between 1 & 2 hundredths, far closer than any other square in the 'wood' end of my shed.

Simplicity
20th November 2020, 04:40 PM
To square the square you just need an edge and a pencil, take a measurment from one side and flip the square over and see if it aligns with the other mark.

Ye I know the old faithful way,but just let’s assume you want to go a little bit further, say you want to be a bit more technical, just because.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
20th November 2020, 05:09 PM

Pagie

That is a tried and tested method. Probably for this purpose you should use a marking knife instead of a pencil. I think the accuracy would be well within the realms of acceptable then.

Regards
Paul

Pagie
20th November 2020, 06:25 PM
Ye I know the old faithful way,but just let’s assume you want to go a little bit further, say you want to be a bit more technical, just because.

Cheers Matt.

Matt you can't be more square than square. I'm old and faithful

Picko
20th November 2020, 08:21 PM

Cheers Matt.

Don't know Matt, I assume you would need to use a master square which would be tested and known to be true.

Picko
20th November 2020, 08:25 PM
Matt you can't be more square than square. I'm old and faithful
I've been told I'm square but I don't know which part of me is true enough to use as the master. Most parts that I can see are somewhat round/worn.

Picko
20th November 2020, 08:29 PM
Pagie

That is a tried and tested method. Probably for this purpose you should use a marking knife instead of a pencil. I think the accuracy would be well within the realms of acceptable then.

Regards
Paul
That's true Paul, I'll see if I can find a piece of straight aluminium that I can try it on.