PDA

View Full Version : Cedar paddleboard

Bigdee183
28th September 2020, 09:30 AM
Hi all,
I built a cedar paddleboard a few years ago and have it hanging on the wall in my living room. I is 11' long and takes up a lot of room. The wife loves it but I know she would also love to do something different with that wall so I was thinking about putting the board in storage. I have a canvas bag that I can store it in. I live in Florida so its very humid and I am concerned about expansion while in a non-climate controlled storage building. The board is hollow, vented and has two layers of fiberglass top and bottom. Will it expand enough to do any damage? Thanks!

labr@
28th September 2020, 12:13 PM
If the interior is all sealed with epoxy and you leave the vent plugs out then it should be OK. If the interior is not all coated then I'm not so sure. It may still be OK - I think cedar is relatively rot resistant. Is the light timber a cedar too?

The canvas bag is more likely to be a problem as it may suffer from mildew/mould in that climate.

old1955
28th September 2020, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Bigdee183
29th September 2020, 06:57 AM
If the interior is all sealed with epoxy and you leave the vent plugs out then it should be OK. If the interior is not all coated then I'm not so sure. It may still be OK - I think cedar is relatively rot resistant. Is the light timber a cedar too?

The canvas bag is more likely to be a problem as it may suffer from mildew/mould in that climate.

The entire board is Cedar. The interior is not sealed. IF I were to store it in the bag, I would throw in some desiccant packs in with it to absorb any moisture.