PDA

View Full Version : My first pics

Cagey
19th November 2005, 09:25 PM
Finally got a camera so i can post some pics of my work. Hope they work.
This is a small box approx 220x150x85 made from Rosewood & Northern? Silky Oak, velvet lining clued to cardboard, dividers held in by gravity

Gumby
19th November 2005, 09:27 PM
nice work :D

ozwinner
19th November 2005, 09:28 PM
Good stuff, all we need now is the piccys.

Al :D

Gumby
19th November 2005, 09:29 PM
Good stuff, all we need now is the piccys.

Expecting a bit much aren't you Al ? ;) :p

Cagey
19th November 2005, 09:30 PM
i did say it was my first time... all fixed now

junkboy999
19th November 2005, 09:32 PM
Wow I love the invisible finish on that box.. brings a whole new meaning clear finish....

ozwinner
19th November 2005, 09:32 PM
Thats better.

Al :cool: :cool: :cool:

ozwinner
19th November 2005, 09:33 PM
Wow I love the invisible finish on that box.. brings a whole new meaning clear finish....

Junkboy, your an Ozzie, right??

Gumby
19th November 2005, 09:36 PM
Now i see it. :D :D

Nice job too. (seriously this time). :)

Gifkins jig, yes ?

junkboy999
19th November 2005, 09:38 PM
Wow that just poped in :) hehhe

Scotty Beam in the pic. there no intelligent life here :)

Cagey
19th November 2005, 09:41 PM
Gotta love that Gifkin jig :D

junkboy999
Junkboy, your an Ozzie, right??

Only in heart, mate;)

Great looking box Cagey :) Pics came out ok :)

Gumby
One out of one to me.

Now, Gifkin box plan, yes ? :)

Cagey
19th November 2005, 09:50 PM
Not exactly. but hard to do much different when using his box bit set. i just look at lots of so probably inspired by his stuff without realizing it. size was determined by box kits i got from Mullumbimbi timbers

Ratbag Oz
19th November 2005, 10:08 PM
Very, very nice!!

Harry72
19th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Nice work Kev, the black velvet sets it off nicely.

Termite
20th November 2005, 07:13 AM
Very very nice work.

zenwood
20th November 2005, 01:08 PM
Very nice. I like the way you've done the handle.

Are the hinges a tad big?

Cagey
20th November 2005, 09:17 PM
Gday Zenwood. I agree about the hinges, but i had a problem with the originals, just couldnt get them to line up, then eventually realised they were out of square, so i chucked them, and grabbed these to get around the other holes. The timber is only 8mm thick, so i thought i would get away from "bad holes". Another lesson on a steep learning curve

Gumby
20th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Another lesson on a steep learning curve

In every project there is a lesson. My projects have many lessons. :( So many in fact that they end up in the bin :( My next attempt at the project teaches a different lesson. Often that lesson is that the better project was put in the bin and this new project and lesson should have been the first one. If it was, then it would be in the bin and the first one would be on the workbench without the mistakes made from the second lesson. But it would have the first lessons mistakes which would by now, would be avoidable.

To short cut all this, when I get the urge to go into the garage and make something without wishing to learn a new lesson, I simply get up, go in, grab a nice piece of camphor or rosewood and chuck it straight into the bin and go back into the house, urge satisfied. No strain on the saw, no aggravation, my tools stay clean and I don't even have to put on the respirator to do it. I'm back with a cup of coffee in 2 minutes. result is the same, just much quicker. ;)

Cagey
21st November 2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah but no where near as much fun. I did a little airbrush teaching a few years back, and always believed that you learn more from your mistakes than from your successes

TEEJAY
21st November 2005, 01:48 PM
Kev,

Your reasoning with Gumby here (don't be serious) just offer to be the bin whenever he gets the urge to throw away the next piece of rosewood. ;)

Nice box the jig worked well for you.

And a greenie for trying to get the hinges on - didn't chicken out ;) :D ;)

Cheers