PDA

View Full Version : Where is Woodfast now?

NeilS
19th October 2020, 07:32 PM
The purpose of this thread is not intended to promote Woodfast lathes, but a reference point for those who already have them and are looking for parts, manuals, service, etc.

With Woodworking Solutions having now stopped trading, Woodfast has definitely moved into a 'new' era with Graham and Steve, who had many decades with Woodfast, no longer a phone call away. However, they [do have some spare parts while those last... alas, according to Fergiz01 below, now all gone!] can be contacted via the following emails.

Graham: [email protected]
Steve: [email protected]

Woodfast as a brand continues with its headquarters in Archerfield, Qld.

[email protected]
Ph: 1300966332 for service

Sales of Woodfast are via the following list of distributors, including forum sponsor Carroll's Woodcraft.

Authorized Retail Store Woodfast Group Australia (http://www.woodfast-group.com/buy)

Declaration: I have no vested interest in Woodfast and my next lathe may not be one, but to date I have been satisfied with the various Woodfast lathes that I have used over the last 50yrs.

Having said that, it is interesting to see that Woodfast has added a new 'super heavy' duty 3HP model to their range (WL3040A). Quite a beast!

Index Woodfast Group Australia (http://www.woodfast-group.com/products?cid=507)

I must say I like the stability of those cast iron legs. The price is also looks competitive for such a solid 3HP EVS, IMO.

If only they could add a swivel head or sliding head model to that WL3040A, I would then be a pig in mud!

Yes, these lathes are made in China, but unlike some lathes made there and sold here, there is at least someone locally here that you can ring to to talk about service.

Yes, there is a well made Australian lathe that provides the same local service here if the premium for local manufacture is not an issue for you and that is your preference.

Fergiz01
20th October 2020, 01:27 AM
I contacted Graham and Steve a little over a month ago and they advised me that all their Woodfast parts were long gone.

There's still parts to be had in online classifieds and auctions.

NeilS
20th October 2020, 07:10 AM
I contacted Graham and Steve a little over a month ago and they advised me that all their Woodfast parts were long gone.

Thanks for the update, Fergiz01.

Brenton Stein
21st October 2020, 03:53 PM
You always have quality posts, Neil. Thank you for this one, especially the heads up on that big beast. However, can you (or anyone else) explain to me how the bed extension is "electronic"? From what I can see is a mechanical movement.

Optimark
21st October 2020, 05:19 PM
However, can you (or anyone else) explain to me how the bed extension is "electronic"? From what I can see is a mechanical movement.

I noted that as well. Maybe there is an electronic (electric) motor that is operated by the fifth switch on the panel. Forward and reverse where a worm drive moves the bed outwards to make a gap lathe to get the larger swing.

Mick.

Optimark
21st October 2020, 05:26 PM
Update, just read the manual, there is a switch which controls the motor that slides the bed left and right, plus there is also a gap bed insert, first time I've seen a bed extension that slipped in, not on the end.

Interesting unit it would seem.

Mick.

NeilS
21st October 2020, 08:24 PM
Update, just read the manual, there is a switch which controls the motor that slides the bed left and right, plus there is also a gap bed insert, first time I've seen a bed extension that slipped in, not on the end.

I expect the bed would be a fair old weight to move manually, so the power assist would be a nice feature if you needed that, but I don't expect that will be its key feature. That is likely to be its 3HP motor and matching solid build. Not that that amount of grunt is needed very often. The primary use for me would be for coring large blanks, but without a swivel or sliding head it is not going to be an option for me. The big 3HP Laguna would tick more boxes for me.

Optimark
21st October 2020, 08:48 PM
. The primary use for me would be for coring large blanks, but without a swivel or sliding head it is not going to be an option for me. The big 3HP Laguna would tick more boxes for me.

Agree with you there, which is why I went for the 24-36 Laguna unit, which as a comparison, is 330Kg configured for exactly what you mention. Couple of biggish bowls done around a month apart, both cored with 4 bowls from each.

Mick.

NeilS
22nd October 2020, 09:50 AM
Agree with you there, which is why I went for the 24-36 Laguna unit, which as a comparison, is 330Kg configured for exactly what you mention. Couple of biggish bowls done around a month apart, both cored with 4 bowls from each.

Mick.

We are getting a bit off the thread topic now, I know I started it... mea culpa!

Perhaps another thread is required if a discussion on the current larger lathe options currently available here in Oz is of sufficient interest to enough forum members... not that many of us need such large lathes.

I know there are various views out there on Laguna vs Vicmarc vs Woodfast. There has been some developments for each since the last attempt at a comparative review here on the forum, so an update might be worth doing if someone wanted to take that on???

PS - Back in 2013 Richard Raffan reviewed three of the larger lathes on the market here for Australian Wood Review and declared the Vicmarc VL300 as the best.

Mobyturns
22nd October 2020, 12:17 PM
Sadly we are loosing choices, and also quality,

Model 70-3040: 30″ x 40″ VSR Lathe & Sliding Bed - RIKON Power Tools (https://www.rikontools.com/product/70-3040)

and another example,

MAXI-1-M33 Heavy Duty Cast Iron Swivel Head Variable Speed Lathe (https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/heavy-cast-iron-swivel-head-variable-speed-lathe-m33-x-35-thread-2mt#.X5DdNJLitPY)
Index Woodfast Group Australia (http://www.woodfast-group.com/products?cid=459)

woodPixel
22nd October 2020, 02:16 PM
This saddens me.

My first lathe, not so long ago, was a woodfast. One of the small desktop models.

Isn't it strange with more people getting into woodworking, and more all the time, that such an iconic brand should close (or is it suspended until later?)

edit - thought - Perhaps its a case of now dealing with China is "All Too Hard"? Its all well and good to deal with a willing trading partner, but when they become... unwilling? Time to pull the plug and source elsewhere? (For all companies and sellers to/from... not just WF)

dai sensei
22nd October 2020, 02:21 PM
I bought the new Woodfast3040 and I can assure you it is a beast. My first surprise was that, although advertised as a 3HP motor, it's actually 4HP :2tsup:. Not sure if I just got lucky or if this is the new standard but they haven't updated the advertising. Being 4HP with a 15A plug I was actually a bit concerned about startup amps on the line. As it is a variable speed control through a variable phase drive my electrician said it should be fine but certainly on the limit.

Due to a fire at my place and the restored shed is where it is going, I assembled it and installed new cupboards/shelving underneath, but still yet to finish installing it in it's final location. So apart from testing (to make sure it works) I haven't actually used it to turn anything :C. I'm actually right in the middle of bolting it to the concrete slab through rubber block mounts today. When I've finished doing the install I'll do a thread on it.

Biggest issue to date is, although the lathe is advertised as having numerous accessories (like mounting wheels, extra Banjo, variable length tool rests, infill bed etc), none of these are available due to lack of supply from the manufacturer in China. I have therefore arranged for extra banjo and double mounted rests (my own design 400/600/800/1000mm long) to be made by Matt Crossley at Daltex in Cromer NSW. I'll do another thread on these once I receive the last couple still being completed.

I've also go quite a few large blanks, plain timber and cracked but cast with infill epoxy, ready to turn to test it. I've also got a client waiting for his simple tapered table legs from Tassie Oak

NeilS
22nd October 2020, 02:44 PM
MAXI-1-M33 Heavy Duty Cast Iron Swivel Head Variable Speed Lathe (https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/heavy-cast-iron-swivel-head-variable-speed-lathe-m33-x-35-thread-2mt#.X5DdNJLitPY)
Index Woodfast Group Australia (http://www.woodfast-group.com/products?cid=459)

Thanks for pointing that out Moby.

Funny thing.... I have a yellow one of those!

NeilS
22nd October 2020, 03:04 PM
I bought the new Woodfast3040 and I can assure you it is a beast. My first surprise was that, although advertised as a 3HP motor, it's actually 4HP :2tsup:. Not sure if I just got lucky or if this is the new standard but they haven't updated the advertising. Being 4HP with a 15A plug I was actually a bit concerned about startup amps on the line. As it is a variable speed control through a variable phase drive my electrician said it should be fine but certainly on the limit.

I noticed in the link I posted on the Woodfast3040 that it was shown as 3HP in the general blurb and 4HP in the specs. I thought 4HP was just a typo, but obviously not.

Neil, it would be good to get your impressions when you have it up and running.

I can see that Jim Carroll also has it listed on his website.

Optimark
22nd October 2020, 06:03 PM
I too noted the power differences between the advertising blurb and the specification sheet; 3,016W of grunt give or take, pretty impressive.

For some reason there are no pictures of the rear side of the lathe anywhere, and their advertising with the segmented vertical windows is quite irritating to me.

With delivery and manufacture of most things at the moment, it's a wonder things are still being delivered. Accessories are always a hard thing and it is a pity if they are not available when one takes delivery of new machine.

I wonder if the inverter is dust sealed in a cabinet, like the current Laguna units. The original Laguna inverter units weren't dust sealed, now they are.

Mick.

RSD
22nd October 2020, 06:54 PM
I seriously considered the new Woodfast 3040 but in the end plumped for a Stubby.

Colin62
23rd October 2020, 10:57 PM
Perhaps another thread is required if a discussion on the current larger lathe options currently available here in Oz is of sufficient interest to enough forum members... not that many of us need such large lathes.
I can’t claim to need such a large lathe, but I do enjoying owning one. Yes, it cost a lot, but I’ve made the decision that of all my hobbies and interests, the one I wish to prioritise is my turning, and I know that I should never need to spend money on a lathe again. It can handle anything I’m brave enough to try (and still has a bit in reserve), and will still be perfectly functional long after I’m not.

The options available to me in South Africa are even more restricted than in Aus, basically Jet, Nova, Laguna and recently Vicmarc are imported. I considered importing one myself, but am glad I didn’t need to do that. I went for the Vicmarc.

Mobyturns
24th October 2020, 09:17 AM
I too noted the power differences between the advertising blurb and the specification sheet; 3,016W of grunt give or take, pretty impressive.

Mick.

That sort of power is fine as long as you can tame it!

It concerns me somewhat that we do have lathes with the capacity to turn quite large objects with more than sufficient power available to turn them. These large lathes also have a considerable speed range. In inexperienced and untrained hands that can be a very dangerous combination.

A small error such as not dialing down the speed after each turning session, and then checking before commencing a new turning project can present very significant hazards for the unwary.

Optimark
24th October 2020, 08:09 PM

It concerns me somewhat that we do have lathes with the capacity to turn quite large objects with more than sufficient power available to turn them. These large lathes also have a considerable speed range. In inexperienced and untrained hands that can be a very dangerous combination.

A small error such as not dialing down the speed after each turning session, and then checking before commencing a new turning project can present very significant hazards for the unwary.

I think the speed range of the new large Woodfast lathe is excellent, yes it can be an issue and one should always shut down the lathe and go through a set procedure of what you do. My take on this is to switch everything off, turn both speed dials to zero and ensure the directional switches are both set to forward. Last thing after cleaning up, is to use some dry lubricant on the steel beds and anything else that needs protection.

The real difference with these big motors, like on the Woodfast, is that they are 3 phase. The pure grunt and incredible smoothness of the two lathes I have used with single phase into 3 phase via an inverter, is as addictive as anything.

With regard to lathe speeds, before the COVID-19 thingy really stopped life as we know it, I dropped in to help a mate with his new (to him) Record Power Coronet Herald Midi lathe. Biggest midi lathe I've seen, but that aside, it can do a staggering 3,890 rpm. My friend was amazed at this feature and gleefully cranked up his lathe to maximum speed with a chuck on, I didn't know of any chuck that could be used at those speeds, so I quickly shut things down and we commenced some turning learning. I've since learnt that the Record Power chucks can in fact be run at the terminal velocity of their lathes, impressive and good just from a safety point of view; but you wouldn't want anything to go wrong at very high speeds with stuff in a chuck.

The big Woodfast is capable of 20-3,850 rpm, quite a staggering speed range and with three belt positions and 4 bearings in the headstock, it appears to be built for longevity as well as go.

Speaking of size, that big Woodfast lathe is lighter than I thought, it's only 248Kg :D

The real nice bit about these kinds of lathes, is the heft inherent in the build, which gives you considerable solidness (is that a word?)

The Tailstock on this lathe seems better than the Laguna I have, with regard to the tool storage on/in the tailstock, that is. The Woodfast has what appears to be a door to keep one from scratching oneself on the stored tools. As such I don't use that feature on my lathe after a few times of ripping some skin and worse, ripping some clothing.

I also like the moveable switch box with a magnetic back, the Rikon version of this lathe shows the coiled lead, which is probably pretty good to go anywhere on the front of the machine.

I still have not been able to see the rear to see if the inverter is sealed from dust ingress, hopefully it is.

Mick.

Optimark
24th October 2020, 08:14 PM
I seriously considered the new Woodfast 3040 but in the end plumped for a Stubby.

As you would, going on where you live, you could probably bring the lathe home in a wheelbarrow. :U

Stubby lathes were on my very short list, when I was looking a few years ago.

Mick.

Paul39
25th October 2020, 01:49 AM
For those of us not willing or able to buy a new big lathe, older made in AU Woodfasts are a wonderful value. Mine below, for which I paid US $850, 20 inch swing, DC variable speed done in the US by Craft Supplies with the 5 speed pulleys intact. When I first got it home, sitting outside on dirt, I put a big out of balance stump on it, set on the low speed pulleys and low variable speed, and turned it on. The lathe and cabinets gently rocked back & forth until I knocked off the out of balance parts. I have another lathe with 36 inches between centers.

dai sensei
25th October 2020, 11:00 AM

Absolutely!

My old bowl lathe had a 1.8m dia capacity, my old JET 0.9m spindle capacity, plus turning with the bearded one has given me experience with a decent amount of large turnings. Having said that, I still have a healthy fear and respect of the power of the 3040, and other large capacity beasts. Care must always be taken as they can, and will, kill you in a blink of an eyelid.

Paul39
25th October 2020, 11:16 AM
My old bowl lathe had a 1.8m dia capacity,

Was this a commercially available lathe, or one you built or had built? Photo? How many 1.8 meter salad bowls have you sold? Just being snarky.

RSD
25th October 2020, 11:22 AM
As you would, going on where you live, you could probably bring the lathe home in a wheelbarrow. :U

Stubby lathes were on my very short list, when I was looking a few years ago.

Mick.
Almost - decided to use the ute.

dai sensei
25th October 2020, 09:54 PM
Was this a commercially available lathe, or one you built or had built? Photo? How many 1.8 meter salad bowls have you sold? Just being snarky.

It was home made by someone else. It was for making tables more than bowls, before tables were made with routers. The largest bowl I did was 750mm (finished size) for large boardroom tables (for lawyers/engineers/contractors/Councils/Government Departments etc). Since retiring I haven't had any requests for more bowls that size and tables I now do with a router. The 3040 can do 800mm start size max, so if any client wanted a large bowl, I could still do a 750mm.

NeilS
28th October 2020, 12:14 PM
Was this a commercially available lathe, or one you built or had built? Photo? .... Just being snarky.

Paul, depending on your HP, you too can turn quite large pieces outboard with your Woodfast by removing the LH threaded handwheel and attaching a LH threaded faceplate or chuck and using a free standing tool rest. An EVS helps in dialing the speed up slowly to overcome the inertia.

LH threaded faceplates and chuck inserts are not so readily come by now, but they can still be found or made.

Anyway, here is an old yellow turning a big one.