PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Lathe

AussieGreg
20th November 2005, 04:18 PM
I was thinking about getting the MC 900 lathe is this the ideal choice or should I go for the MC1100.

Where is the best place in Brisbane to buy the lathe or is there a second had one about.

Yea I'm a newbie, but loved turning things on the lathe at highschool, and have never lost the bug, now that I'm an old fart I want to get one.:D

hooppine
20th November 2005, 04:32 PM
In Brisbane you have Hare and Forbes at Archerfield, Carba-Tec at Cooparooo, Gregory Machinery at Darra and Gary Pye at the Gold Coast. All have web sites that give some info so you can look before you buy. Best of turning.

Larry.

PS the Woodturners Society of Quuensland at Stones Corner is a good place to start for advice and they also have a website so get your fingers going this afternoon to find info and keep out of the hail storms

Wood Butcher
20th November 2005, 05:15 PM
Hi Greg,

If you had a choice betwen the two I would spend the extra money and go with the mc1100. A bit bigger motor and also has the headstock able to slide along the bed. I don't think that they cost a great deal extra either. Those two lathes are an ideal lathe to start on and I will be getting one myself in the near future (if SWMBO allows).

AussieGreg
20th November 2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the links hooppine, the Turning Society site is very good, the vase is very inspiring to get started.

Woodbutcher LOL love the name yes I tend to agree with what you say, I din't know about the headstock being able to move, but that has made my mind up for me would be handy.

Thanks guys keep the comments coming

Ivan in Oz
20th November 2005, 09:17 PM
G'Day Ppl,
Isn't there a group in Kessels Road down from Mains Rd.
towards Garden City:confused:
If you are heading in from the Bush:rolleyes:

AussieGreg
21st November 2005, 06:17 AM
I was actually hoping to locate a turning group out this way.

Dean
21st November 2005, 07:19 PM
G'Day Ppl,
Isn't there a group in Kessels Road down from Mains Rd.
towards Garden City:confused:
If you are heading in from the Bush:rolleyes:

That was Hare & Forbes, who have since moved out to Archerfield.

AussieGreg
21st November 2005, 09:20 PM
Dean is the MC1100 equal to the WL-20 as per the Hare & Forbes website.
Thanks & regards Greg

Wood Butcher
21st November 2005, 09:28 PM
is the MC1100 equal to the WL-20 as per the Hare & Forbes website.

As far as i know they are pretty much the same lathe just a different colour and badges.

Dean
21st November 2005, 09:54 PM
Dean is the MC1100 equal to the WL-20 as per the Hare & Forbes website.
Thanks & regards Greg

I'm pretty sure it is!

arose62
21st November 2005, 10:17 PM
Just check the thread on the headstock before you buy a chuck; I think that's the other distinguishing feature (apart from colour) between the same lathe from different distributors..

Happy with my WL-20 from H&F.

Cheers,
Andrew

AussieGreg
22nd November 2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks Guys

Jim Carroll
22nd November 2005, 07:29 AM
Why dont you go to GPW and buy the lot together saves worrying about going to one place and buying one thing then going to another and hoping they match. You could even strike a good deal that way.

Wood Butcher
22nd November 2005, 01:10 PM
I went to Toowoomba Woodworks to look around this morning. There was a lathe in a carton there that had "Hafco WL-20 / MC1100" written on the end of the box. I take that as a fairly good indication that they are the same.:D

hooppine
22nd November 2005, 02:33 PM
QPW does not have a lathe the equivalent to the MC900 or 1100 in their range. Carbatec does have everthing you need as long as you want Vicmarc chucks (no Novas yet). The hafco has a 1inch 10tpi thread the Carbatec has M30 X 3.5 which seems to be more common than the other sizes and more stable than a 1inch. The tail stock on all the look alikes including the MC900 do slide. I looked and almost bought a Hafco machine (MC900) being just up the road and $20 cheaper but the thread size just threw me to the Carba tec machine. I turn lazy susans 50cm in dia to true up and thin the edge and it has enough power for that. I also twist the head to where I want it and do not aleays use the locking pin. This allows me to fine tune the position and as yet have had zero problems and gives me the extra dia I need.

Take your time looking it pays
Regards

AussieGreg
25th November 2005, 08:46 AM
As a Website Developer and PC programmer you guys will understand my annoyance with the following.

I have sent an email to Carbatec asking for specifying what I was after and then asking what sort of deal they could put together, 2 weeks ago, still no reply.

I also sent an email to Glenfords power tools at the same time, still no reply.