PDA

View Full Version : Plane Complete, Ready for Judging

Pages : [1] 2

IanW
20th October 2020, 09:23 PM
AS the heading says, when you feel your plane is complete and you wish to submit it for judging, post it in this thread.

As set out in the "judges corner" thread:
"sum up your build experience in no more than 200 words, concentrating on such aspects as any special technique(s) required, major problems overcome, and perhaps what inspired your design/project, if applicable (simply wanting to make a plane is perfectly acceptable!)"

Illustrate your post with with a maximum of 10 well-chosen photos. (The initial rules say 4, and that will probably be enough for most of you, but the judges accepted that you may need more if you wish to show details of a complex build and it will be easier for us if you place them here rather than link back to your build thread.)

As also previously mentioned, you need not post until just before the challenge closes. If you complete your plane with plenty of time to spare, live with it a while and make any minor tweaks you find necessary and get it as good as it can be - just remember to post by the due date, which is 30.6.21.

The draw for the "be in it" prize will be made on the 27th unless I've fallen under a bus, so if you haven't made your "done" post by then, your name doesn't go in the hat....

Let the games begin......

Cklett
22nd October 2020, 09:38 AM
Ian, would it be a good idea to also mention the exact due date here again? Would make it easier to keep track.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Done.

Simplicity
22nd October 2020, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ian.

But also thanks too Derek and Alan as well,
It’s not going to be an easy task judging by what’s being build.
Thank you Judges.

Cheers Matt.

Mountain Ash
23rd October 2020, 03:34 PM
Hi all. For some time I have watched the YouTube postings of a Polish planemaker called Stavros Garkos. Inspired by his build of a chamfer plane, and seeking to improve the chamfers I put on the wooden planes I am already making (and wanting to join in the fun - of course) I present my entry.

Fortunately I was able to copy his methods fairly easily, for the most part, but I was glad this was not the first time I had tried making a wooden handplane. Buying a decent plank of Beech before Covid 19 struck was particularly timely and the blade/cap iron was something I had had for a while. The brass was another matter.

A previous life building period fencing (pickets, woven wire, ripple iron, etc) had provided me with a few brass letterbox flaps and one of these donated material for the wear plate, width adjuster bolts and slot covers. Making all these parts was a first for my planemaking journey.

My biggest hurdle to overcome was getting the movable throat to sit properly as the wedge tightened against it. Assumptions about flatness were proven wrong and it took the making of a second wedge to improve things to the point where I was happy.

The first few uses reinforced the need for good technique (easy to plane too much off at the end of the stroke) and it wasn't as self aligning as I thought it might be. With the timber held in a vise the vertical face becomes the reference point and guides the cut. To even up the width, dropping the rear of the plane onto the edge facing up helps gets the sections missed. Using an old tapered blade and matching cap iron is always an advantage and it's always nice to find the lamination in the blade as you clean them up. And it was funny how the lumps in the cap iron forced a redesign of the wedge shape ehich turned out really nice. I'm happy to with curve I was able to create in the rear of the body for my hand.

And as I always like to confirm (as much to myself as anyone) it works :U

Simplicity
23rd October 2020, 04:05 PM
Well Done MA.

I think I can comfortably say at this stage your the winner, well know I can’t, that’s up to the Judges but there are a few more months to go.

But wow it was awesome following your build.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
23rd October 2020, 11:45 PM
MA

As Matt said, awesome! You may have to add some pine shavings, but I feel sure you are allowed to add those.

Regards
Paul

Mountain Ash
24th October 2020, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys. I have always been a bit wary of sharing step by step but I enjoy reading about others doing it so......why not? Turns out it can be fun to document and a little bit addictive - has anybody seen my post? What did they say? etc. The best thing about this process is increasing the pool of knowledge and making it available to all.

:D

Sheets
28th January 2021, 03:06 AM
Well, I think I can say I'm done - enough time has passed in the "completed" stage to say this is as good as I can make it, so I offer my plane (kanna, in Japanese) to the most esteemed Judges.

For those who followed my build thread, the progress was well documented and I won't rehash the details here. Of course, I can't take credit for the quality of the blade and chip breaker, only the fact that when paired with the "body", suitable performance can be achieved. Also, the beauty of wood, purpleheart in my case, (taking nothing away from metal, which has its own charms when fashioned into a tool), can't be denied - one of the main reasons, I think, that attracts people to making things out of wood.

This isn't my first home-made Japanese plane, but I'm happy to say its my best. I really enjoyed the challenge - both making the plane and equally, sharing the process with a bunch of fine people with some remarkable skills and knowledge. So thanks for the opportunity!

Good luck to all the contestants - looking forward to seeing your finished planes :2tsup:,
Steve

Bushmiller
28th January 2021, 06:47 AM
Sheets

It's a beauty and just look at that shaving. terrific!

Regards
Paul

Mountain Ash
28th January 2021, 06:59 AM
Hi Steve. Well done. The purpleheart is stunning and the simplicity is so right.

Simplicity
28th January 2021, 12:06 PM
Sheets,

That looks outstanding, love the choice of timber,
It’s been fantastic following along on journey,
I was only thinking this morning while on the way to work, it’s been quite on the challenge front,then you pop up with your fantastic Japanese plane.
I would be very surprised if the esteemed judges did not award you runner up second place.[emoji6]

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
28th January 2021, 12:07 PM
Hi Steve. Well done. The purpleheart is stunning and the simplicity is so right.

I had nothing to do with this plane ?

Cheers Matt.

Sheets
28th January 2021, 12:53 PM
I would be very surprised if the esteemed judges did not award you runner up second place.[emoji6]

Cheers Matt.
And deservedly so - there was early agreement amongst the important principlals (don't remember you being there???), that the awards go in order of submission for judging (and to those who used primarily wood) - saves a lot of time you know. So Mountain Ash is first and me second. Who will be third?

Also, (risking the wrath of the Judges by cluttering up this thread with frivolity) - for those making things out of metal, extra points should be awarded for the largest pile of spent grit (rust to dust, so to speak). So save your sweepings and shake out your filters - might as well have something to show for your efforts.

Picko
28th January 2021, 01:39 PM
A very impressive shaving from a very impressing plane. Well done.

Simplicity
28th January 2021, 03:54 PM
And deservedly so - there was early agreement amongst the important principlals (don't remember you being there???), that the awards go in order of submission for judging (and to those who used primarily wood) - saves a lot of time you know. So Mountain Ash is first and me second. Who will be third?

Also, (risking the wrath of the Judges by cluttering up this thread with frivolity) - for those making things out of metal, extra points should be awarded for the largest pile of spent grit (rust to dust, so to speak). So save your sweepings and shake out your filters - might as well have something to show for your efforts.

Um well
One could use the argument that us metal heads are really just re purposing timber.

(The iron ore deposits began forming when the first organisms capable of photosynthesis began releasing oxygen into the waters. This oxygen immediately combined with the abundant dissolved iron to produce hematite or magnetite. ... Steel Mill: Most iron ore is used to make steel.)

But that would just be being picky,and I may be completely out of my depths hear.[emoji6][emoji848]

Cheers Matt.

Mountain Ash
28th January 2021, 04:27 PM
I had nothing to do with this plane ?

Cheers Matt.

Not directly maybe but as an inspiration? :D

Mountain Ash
28th January 2021, 04:32 PM

Sounds pretty reasonable to me :wink:

Chief Tiff
28th January 2021, 04:36 PM
Well done Steve; now I just need to extract a digit and complete my own humble offering.

Woodified
3rd February 2021, 02:12 PM
I read the post title and thought I missed the deadline. I totally got side tracked with the holiday and other projects. My half finished plane sits on my bench and stares at me while I'm working on other things.

AS the heading says, when you feel your plane is complete and you wish to submit it for judging, post it in this thread.

As set out in the "judges corner" thread:
"sum up your build experience in no more than 200 words, concentrating on such aspects as any special technique(s) required, major problems overcome, and perhaps what inspired your design/project, if applicable (simply wanting to make a plane is perfectly acceptable!)"

Illustrate your post with with a maximum of 10 well-chosen photos. (The initial rules say 4, and that will probably be enough for most of you, but the judges accepted that you may need more if you wish to show details of a complex build and it will be easier for us if you place them here rather than link back to your build thread.)

As also previously mentioned, you need not post until just before the challenge closes. If you complete your plane with plenty of time to spare, live with it a while and make any minor tweaks you find necessary and get it as good as it can be - just remember to post by the due date, which is 26.3.21.

The draw for the "be in it" prize will be made on the 27th unless I've fallen under a bus, so if you haven't made your "done" post by then, your name doesn't go in the hat....

Let the games begin......

Aussiephil
3rd February 2021, 02:44 PM
I read the post title and thought I missed the deadline. I totally got side tracked with the holiday and other projects. My half finished plane sits on my bench and stares at me while I'm working on other things.

Well one way to look at it is.... you have one half finished... :)

I still have a scale model prototype, a leaf spring and a still not printing 3D printer to make the body .... maybe I need to shift track an make a body from some nice super hard railway sleeper I found cleaning up ... hey still got a few weeks :)

bellbodyboards
4th March 2021, 04:24 PM
Good afternoon Forum members
I have now completed my plane and I am more than pleased with the plane.I really enjoyed the entire process because it really ( for me at least) did create a number of challenges and hurdles that I did not contemplate in the initial planning phase.
I tried to use whatever items that I had in the garage- brass hose fitting, screws, bolts, washers, timber, glue which as part of my personal challenge. There were a few items that had to be purchased due to not being in my possession- couplers, , spring washer, cap screw and of course the actual iron and chip breaker.
On many occasions I made mistakes which then forced me to make a minor adjustment or totallly take another direction. For example, on one occasion I had used wet and dry sandpaper on the brass plate which then stained some of the timber. Hence back to more sandpapering to remove the metal stain. Then on another occasion I planed too much from the sole of the plane, then had to add extra timber to accomodate the height of the iron just to name a few issues.
I am very pleased with my plane in terms of weight, balance, shape, species of timber, thin shavings, the swoosh sound when planing and the unusual marriage between the iron and body of the planeusing a cap screw.
My thanks to the Forum for creating this challenge. My thanks also extend to those forum members who have offered advice and support.
I extend my good wishes to Forum Members who have entered the challenge and I am very much looking forward to seeing their plane reflective of each person's skill level, creativity and knowledge.

Regards
Anthony

woodPixel
4th March 2021, 09:09 PM
I absolutely love the fence.

This has a few EXCELLENT ideas incorporated into it.

A first? Well, I'm seriously impressed.

edit - I saved image 4 for my "ideas" folder :)

Sheets
5th March 2021, 01:47 AM
Congratulations! A work of art and a functional tool.

Steve

bellbodyboards
7th March 2021, 07:56 AM
Hello Woodpixel
Thank you for your kind words
Regards
Anthony

bellbodyboards
7th March 2021, 07:57 AM
Hello Sheets
Thank you for your compliment.
Regards
Anthony

old1955
7th March 2021, 05:16 PM
Anthony,

WOW what a beautiful result.

Ross

Ironwood
4th April 2021, 02:55 PM
I am calling my entry ( dubbed "The Rock" ) finished.

After a few changes of plans at the start, I ended up making a dovetailed infill coffin smoother with a 60 degree blade pitch, its design was influenced by a few other makers, new, and old.

I tried to use stuff already stored in my shed for the entire build, I had to break the rule by buying some 3mm brass plate from the recyclers as I only had 6mm brass plate already.
Also had to buy some marking fluid, and a new scriber.

The plane was constructed with 6mm stainless for the sole, which had a piece of the 6mm stainless plate, riveted in place for the blade chatterblock, 3mm brass sides, 5mm stainless rod for the rivets and 6mm for the levercap pin, this was turned down to 4mm on the ends to fit through the brass sides, 3/4" brass plate for the levercap, 3/4" brass rod for the levercap screw, and a D2 blade that I bought in one of Thumbsuckers groupbuys many years ago.
I used Cooktown Ironwood from my stash, that I milled and dried many years ago for the infills.

A few of my steps were considered non-conventional, such as drilling the holes in the sides for the rivets and the levercap pin before assembling the plane, possibly a bit risky, but I knew with careful marking out, and due care when assembling and peening I could pull it off.
I also went with pins on the sides, and tails on the sole, for ease of construction with the curved sides.

These were my first metal dovetails, so I had a bit of a learning curve to conquer .
I made a timber peening block to help keep everything in place, and true.
A piece of metal cut to fit neatly in the mouth, was taped in place, to keep the mouth from distorting while the peening was done.

I am happy with how the peening went, it all cleaned up nicely with no gaps visible on the outside.

The levercap pin was peened in place at the same time, the levercap is slotted, and removeable.

Because of the difficulty of drilling accurate holes with the curved sides, I devised this method to ensure my holes lined up.
Clamp a piece of scrap on the drillpress table, chuck-up the correct drillbit, drill a hole in the scrap for a short piece of rivet to locate the bottom side hole onto, drill 2/3rds of the way through, then turn the plane body over and drill the rest of the way through.
This worked perfectly.
I used this method to drill the crosspin hole in the levercap as well.

After a few mock-up attempts of the infills, I cut and shaped the Ironwood, once happy, I epoxied them in place.
Drilled the rivet holes with the above method, and peened them in.

I used a few coats of Flood Penetrol wood oil to seal and protect the timber infills, then a coat of Ubeaut Traditional Wax over the top.

The finished plane measures up at 230mm long, 56.5mm wide, 130mm high, and weighs in at a solid 2140 grams.
The blade is 50mm wide x 150mm long, and 7.6mm thick.

The plane performs beautifully, and well above my initial expectations.
With a bit of fettling of the mouth, and levercap, I am easily getting 0.03mm ( 0.0012") shavings in Pine, and a variety of hardwoods.

Here is the obligatory Pine shaving shot.

Measured with my metric micrometer.

The finish achieved on a very curly piece of Wattle, that I havent been able to tame as well, with any of my other planes.

Simplicity
4th April 2021, 03:42 PM
Brad,

Stunning, it’s been such a pleasure following along on your plane build.
The ups the the very small downs it’s been a terrific build, I hope it’s not your last.

An the pictures have been fantastic even if some were not on a table cloth [emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

bellbodyboards
4th April 2021, 04:12 PM
Congratulations Ironwood on making a very nice plane
Regards
Anthony

Picko
4th April 2021, 05:20 PM
That's a really nice looking plane Brad and it performs as good as it looks. Great outcome.

Sheets
5th April 2021, 01:59 AM
Wow, congratulations! The fit and finish are just outstanding. That's work you can be proud of for sure (and it planes so nicely, too).

Steve

Mountain Ash
5th April 2021, 09:13 AM
Outstanding!!

Bushmiller
5th April 2021, 09:27 AM
Brad

Superb build and following true to your Forum name with choice of timber, not that I would have expected anything else having some knowledge of your stash of the species.

Regards
Paul

Cklett
24th April 2021, 09:13 PM
Here is my entry. An infill scraper plane nicknamed the T2012.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/010571fbfd024d18dc7c795caaae1288.jpg

The plane is inspired by the Stanley 112 scraper plane. This is my interpretation how an infill scraper plane with same functionality as the 112 would look like.

The body is a dovetail construction with Chinese Elm as infill. Length 7.5” and weighs 1.843kg.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/1d1e6c91a3b71afe25325946c25d1930.jpg

Most challenging part beside the general for making dovetailed infill planes with rounded sides and lot of firsts for me was the frog construction and implementation of the angle adjustment mechanism.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/f0bcd764b5d47e6b48a856e2dfe5516d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/8ae1a27326a20b802849a3aa26a3c7c9.jpg

The frog is made from a 10mm steel back where the brackets for the lever cap were dovetailed in and further held by a cross pin, which also functions as the pivot axle for the connection to the adjustment bolt. The handle of the plane is a closed one and the bolt goes right through it with the adjustment nut inside of the hand hole. The hand hole was shaped and sized so that the adjustment bolt does not interfere with the hand and not causing scraped knuckles.

The closed handle does not allow easily for having 2 adjustment nuts like on the Stanley 112. Therefore, a spring is used on the other side to give tension and a tensioning nut is included to adjust the pretension of the spring. During operation the forces on the blade are pulling the frog forward and the adjustment nut is fixing the angle of the blade reliably. This design allows for adjustment with one finger, like on the bench planes.

The plane is with 7 ½” a bit shorter than the 112 with same width for the 2 7/8” blade. To give the plane a more pleasing look I also rounded the sides of the plane like for the 112. There is not much space in front for a good hold alone. That's due to the short length of the plane. However, by placing the thumb of my left hand behind the blade and frog I achieve very good control of the plane and a comfortable hold.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/dd90190952b4ae92342e93d4431c136a.jpg

The plane produces good shavings (foto below). Left to right: Pine, Chinese Elm, reddish hardwood of unknown species.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/8cddd01e30dca17d4fc5dee48bb35e25.jpg

I thank for the opportunity and great experience of this challenge. It has certainly accelerated my development of new skills.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/db9a91f7f3b6c2196bf6834944090e38.jpg

Simplicity
24th April 2021, 09:34 PM
Cklett,
[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]
Awesome work Sir, the way you guys are going with your builds, us strugglers will be out of the race in no time.
A really ambitious build that you have done brilliantly with.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
24th April 2021, 10:01 PM
CK

Excellent. Looks to be just the job for those cranky grained Aussie timbers.

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
25th April 2021, 03:41 PM
Well, here goes. I present for consideration "The Anti-Body," which is my version of a Trying plane. Description as follows.

"I aimed to build a low angle bevel up plane using scrap and recycled materials. Materials included mild steel (galvanised channel section), high carbon steel for the blades (vehicle leaf springs), stainless steel for the lever cap and small quantities of brass, brass alloy, titanium and Hairy/Bull Oak from the Allocasuarina species. Five blades were made. Two 11mm thick and three 6mm thick. Blades were sharpened at 25°, 30°, 35° & 40°. The steeper secondary bevels are intended to combat more difficult timbers. The pine shavings exhibited are only with the 30° blade.

The enclosed handle presented a challenge in that the adjuster was difficult to reach. This was solved by creating a significant depression just ahead of the handle. It still helps if you have hands the size of a twelve year old child. As this tool can be used as a shooting plane there is a handle for this purpose, which can be mounted either side of the body. As blade removal requires the cap iron to be removed, there is a dedicated screwdriver for this (made from a broken twist bit). Potentially the plane can be used for many purposes with blade exchange taking under five minutes. The scrub blade has a smaller brass mouth for greater clearance. Length 462mm, Width 75mm (blade 61mm)and weight 3.64Kg."

Regards
Paul

PS: I couldn't find a suitable table cloth or tea towel so the backdrop is a Marcella quilt. I hope this is acceptable in the context of making do with what you have got.

NeilS
25th April 2021, 04:33 PM
Ah, a post-armageddon plane! And, no less elegant for it, Paul.

The name 'Dreadnought' did also come to mind when looking at it, perhaps prompted more by today's date than any real resemblance, although that lineup of heavy duty blades does resonate with that descriptor.

Simplicity
25th April 2021, 06:31 PM
Paul,
That table cloth is beautiful I’ve never seen something so beautiful in my life.

An the Anti body, is even more beautiful, ok I’m laying it on slightly thick.

Fantastic build Paul, love the concept.

Cheers Matt.

Cklett
25th April 2021, 06:40 PM
Welcome on the other side of the finish line. Another fantastic build!

Sheets
26th April 2021, 04:00 AM
Paul,

I have to say that is very impressive - not just the size, but every aspect of it. Just superb! And the pristine white quilt is most point-worthy.
Any species of wood you can't flatten with the blades you just need to leave the Anti Body resting atop and it will surely end up flat just the same :D.

Well done!

Steve

labr@
7th June 2021, 10:18 PM
Presenting “The Laminator”, a laminated timber bodied skew plane for shooting.

The lamination idea is for 3 reasons -
- easier to cut out the internal cavity accurately
- could use smaller pieces of timber
- easier to work out the geometry for the skewed blade. Various sketches and a mock up just did my head in on this aspect. With the laminated body the blade could be set straight in the body blank but end up skewed 20 degrees by trimming the blank at that angle.

Timber for the body, wedge and handle is blackwood. The adjuster is pear.

Two pairs of laminations were glued up and half of the internal cavity cut in each. These were then glued up with the rest of the laminations.
495601 495602

This assembly was then trimmed at 20 degrees.

A handle was shaped to fit my hand for comfort and control then attached to the fully trimmed body by stainless screws into threaded inserts.
495604 495605

Finish is boiled linseed oil.
495609 495610 495611

Shaving from pine.

Pine end grain after shooting.

Simplicity
8th June 2021, 08:21 AM
Labr,
The “laminator” is fantastic, I love the idea and concept, being a late runner, you have certainly come up through the pack.
An possibly, I haven’t confirmed but our first end grave shavings.
The Hot Dog style handle is very cool too.

Cheers Matt.

tony_A
16th June 2021, 10:00 PM
My current smoothing planes consist of a mediocre Stanley #3 & #4. I would like a couple more options for taming difficult timber but before embarking on a high angle coffin smoother build, I am having a bit of a play around with bed angles using a simple design and basic materials. I settled on 55 degrees for this plane, 10 degrees steeper than the Stanleys

After finishing this plane, I can say that that a Krenov smoother is simple to build and is capable of producing good results. But I suspect not quite as good as a nice metal bodied coffin infill smoother. (call that plane lust)
It had no trouble making pine shavings

and was able to take some fine cuts on a piece of cranky blackwood

The plane took about two days to build and that includes more than a bit of dithering. Its designed around a Hock blade with chip breaker and the wood, E. obliqua, has proved to be quite stable with no detectable movement.

The trickiest part of the build was opening the mouth. After quite a bit of cautious filing I was able to get it to a tight fit for a 0.5mm feeler gauge. I’m well pleased with the final result.

Finished with BLO, because I like the look and feel.

Chief Tiff
16th June 2021, 10:09 PM
A beautiful piece, be very proud!

Did you decide on a name?

tony_A
16th June 2021, 10:49 PM
Thanks Chief, Im am happy to say that it's quite modest compared to the other builds here.

I think that names, like nicknames, are best bestowed by others

Bushmiller
17th June 2021, 12:03 AM
A beautiful piece, be very proud!

Did you decide on a name?

Ummm. How about Krenovnovitch? ("son of")

:wink:

Regards
Paul

Sheets
17th June 2021, 12:15 AM
Excellent job! It may be a somewhat simple concept and design, but I'm sure all would agree that there is still a requirement for skill, patience and precision. You've brought it all to a very pleasing conclusion - well done.

Steve

labr@
17th June 2021, 12:37 AM
Ummm. How about Krenovnovitch? ("son of")

:wink:

Regards
Paul

I was thinking of it as "The quickie" but either way it's a nice plane.

Picko
17th June 2021, 03:34 PM
Well, although I have been finished my plane for some time now, I’ve managed to keep putting this off until now.
My build was near to complete before it became almost compulsory to name the plane and therefore, until now, has had no name. I realise that this will never do and have named my plane “Stormy”.

I present Stormy.

Stormy comes about because:

1. The cast iron that was used was once a stormwater grate.

2. The Bulloak used was a piece that survived a fire storm while everthing around it was reduced to ashes.

3. The atmosphere in my shed when things like this happened.

This was my first plane build, and with the exception of some of the brass parts, I managed to utilise bits and pieces from all corners of the shed. I have often thought about making a plane, mainly for the challenge, and “the challenge” was just the thing to get me going.
The plane performs better than my expectations and I’m very pleased with it.

I learnt many new things during the journey, from different aspects of 3D cadd modeling to riveting brass. I have already made plane No2 and will very likely make another plane in the future.
Thanks to all involved, it was a great experience.

Simplicity
17th June 2021, 06:57 PM
Hi Stormy,

You have seemed to be able too weather anything, yet still look simple and elegant.
O dear I’ve started talking too tools.

Picko that’s looks awesome.

Cheers Matt.

Sheets
18th June 2021, 12:56 AM
Rough weather aside, you certainly took on this challenge with gusto! Once again, I'm amazed at the results - what you guys can do with wood and metal is, well, amazing! A beautiful tool!

Steve

jools13
24th June 2021, 10:23 PM
Chisel Plane – (This is a clean-up Plane that is not normally designed to make shavings).
My entry is from the Making wood tools by John Wilson – with a couple of modifications – it’s made from quarter sawn French Oak.
the Blade is made from O1 Tool Steel that I cut shaped drilled bevelled and then it went into the Forge to be heat treated which was done by myself.

My blade was then tempered, all forge scale removed, then it was polished and sharpened this was all done by myself. I recycled a handmade brass bolt that was tapped by myself – the bush for the bolt.

The brass bushing that the bolt passes through the plane, to go into the fastener in the body of the plane was also hand turned by myself.

The plane was hand shaped on the grinder, using the skills gained while learning to become a Knife maker, and then finished off by hand with 180 grit sandpaper, the plane was re-assembled after being finished off with Ubeaut Aussie oil.

The Shavings are made by setting the blade of the plane lower than normal, so this can happen.

- - - Updated - - -

jools13
24th June 2021, 10:25 PM
My second Plane, was designed and embroidered by myself on a Janome MC 500se and is part of a quilt being made for Doug3030

Chief Tiff
24th June 2021, 10:32 PM
Well done Jools!

She’s looking elegantly simple, or simply elegant; I can’t quite make up my mind!

Have you thought of a name yet? “Ol’ Oaky”, “Oakey-Doakey” and “Cheeky Chisel” spring to my mind…

jools13
24th June 2021, 10:36 PM
O i do like that - Simply Elegant - Thank you for the suggestion - i had forgotten to name HER !!!

woodPixel
24th June 2021, 11:48 PM
+1 vote on the embroidered tablecloth! :D

Sheets
25th June 2021, 02:38 AM
Well done! - and with (plenty) time to spare. Glad to see another finisher that will up the work-load of the Judges.

Steve

Simplicity
25th June 2021, 06:06 AM
Jools.
Your showing off with the use of multiple table cloths, it’s distracting from your awesome looking plane.
Well done.

Mountain Ash
25th June 2021, 08:09 AM
Nice work Jools. Looks like I might be pinching ideas from both members of the family. That oak is lovely.

Ironwood
25th June 2021, 09:35 AM
Good stuff Jools, nicely done :2tsup:.
A very handy tool to have in the shed, and another one to add to my growing list.

Picko
25th June 2021, 10:49 AM
That’s a nice little plane Jools, very mouse like. :)

NeilS
25th June 2021, 01:25 PM
Chisel Plane......

Any chance of a separate photo of just the blade (both sides) that you made for this plane?

Thanks

Neil

jools13
25th June 2021, 01:43 PM
will see what i can find

jools13
25th June 2021, 01:44 PM
if you look in my build feed u should find them - june 20 shows post - they are in with the forge photos -

NeilS
25th June 2021, 02:05 PM
if you look in my build feed u should find them - june 20 shows post - they are in with the forge photos -

Thanks, Jools!

I'm always impressed with anyone who can get that heat treatment just right.

doug3030
26th June 2021, 04:33 PM
My First (and Second) plane build.

I wanted a set of match planes for 7/8” stock for the toolbox build I will be starting soon, so here they are.

496908 496909

Queen Ebony, Olive, O1 tool steel, Aussie oil.

I chose Queen Ebony because I thought it would make a plane that feels good in the hand, with plenty of heft and tough enough to last a lifetime. I chose Olive for the wedges as it is tough enough to withstand being jammed between the Ebony and the O1 Steel, but still have enough give in it to allow it to grab and hold the blade in place. I used O1 Tool Steel because it can be heat treated and tempered with the equipment I have. I tested a few finishes on some offcuts of the Queen ebony and found that Aussie Oil gave the closest to the feel I wanted and looked good too.

Accuracy was critical to the build. The blades and the bodies both had critical dimensions that had to be precise to achieve complementary profiles with the boards aligning perfectly in the joint.

Another challenge was the escapements. The groove plane was straight forward, but the tongue plane provided challenges. Both shavings had to come out of the escapement from different depths without fouling each other. I did not want to cut the wedges any shorter or they might not provide enough support for the blade. Cutting into the breast to make more room did not seem to be the right solution when the plane was cutting shavings of the optimum thickness. The solution was to shape the end of the wedge into two separate ramps, one for each shaving, so that they exit at different heights, and to make the escapement area as smooth as possible so the shavings slide out easily.

496913 496914 496916 496915

I believe that this style of plane should be make comfortable to hold without being “overdecorated”. I find that carved finger-holds tend to restrict the number of useful ways the plane can be held in use. By rounding the top corners and cutting the chamfers on the rear corners and breaking all the other edges, the planes feel comfortable in the hand and have a certain elegance to their appearance.
496910 496911

The test joint I cut shows that the pair are sharp, well matched, accurate and functional.

496917 496918

jools13
26th June 2021, 07:18 PM
Well done i Know i'm Biased but your planes are looking very good well done - PS like the pink background - <3

- - - Updated - - -

Cklett
26th June 2021, 08:18 PM
Welcome on the other side.

Although the planes are working without trouble I am sure they will be causing quite some trouble for the judges. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Picko
26th June 2021, 08:42 PM
Nice pair Doug, good to see you made it with time to spare.

Simplicity
26th June 2021, 10:21 PM
Well Done Doug,
The working pair of planes looks fantastic, it’s been pleasure following along on there journey.

Cheers Matt.

Sheets
27th June 2021, 12:04 AM
Beautiful tools and wonderfully crafted! Having to make the cuts match certainly "doubles' the accuracy requirements. An excellent result there too!

Steve

shanesmith80
28th June 2021, 04:40 PM
So here's what I come up with for a first go. I did venture into the unknown as much as many here but I fear it is only a matter of time. As much as I really enjoyed this challenge and have wanted to try something like this for a long time I curse the inventors of the challenge for making me give up on my procrastination and actually get to the task. I fear I am falling deeeep into the rabbit hole and am looking at new tools to help with the process and am trying to work out how I can fit a forge in the backyard to make my own blades. I sense trouble in my future.

497020 497021 497022

Congratulations to the others who have produced some outstanding works.

labr@
28th June 2021, 05:17 PM
... I sense trouble in my future....

Yep, you're doomed :U.

Nice entry, the brass bits are extra shiny.

Chief Tiff
28th June 2021, 06:11 PM
I blame Bushmiller.

Some may posit that Oldgreybeard formally set the challenge and the Annals of History may record that Simplicity proving “anybody can build a plane (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/art-filling-mitre-plane-236406/7)” begat the whole idea; BUT it was Bushmiller’s post #58 (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f254/2020-2021-plane-building-challenge-237106/3) that brought in this fence-sitter.

I chose to make a beading plane like the Stanley 69; but as a “Norris”-inspired infill. The metal components would be dovetailed and riveted together while the timber would be the darkest hardwood I could obtain.

The small size meant great care was required to avoid unsightly gaps; the dovetails are only about 7mm wide by 3mm deep so needle files and a tiny precision square were required. The achieved fit was <0.1mm; this level of precision thankfully only required a 0.25mm peening allowance. Originally, I riveted the rear but afterwards applied a lick of silver solder ensuring it can’t ever loosen.

497025 497026 497028

The timber is 6000YO Ukrainian Bog Oak; shaping the handle wasn’t too difficult (eventually!) but the bun was tricky being overstuffed and tapering vertically. CA was used as a finish.

497030 497031 497033

Blades are shared with my Stanley 66 beaders; they breeze through pine but excel in hardwoods leaving a glossy finish after gently burnishing with the shavings.

IanW
28th June 2021, 07:30 PM
Shane, you need to post another pic, with a shaving or two (preferably actually made by your plane :; ), in order to comply with "the rules". Hate to see you disqualified for a simple slip of memory....

If you can't edit your post to include said picture, just put it in a separate post & I'll add it to your "done" post so it doesn't get missed in the final judging orgy....
Cheers,
Ian

Simplicity
29th June 2021, 10:08 PM
Well the “Body” is done, from the beginning ,this was a steep ,but much enjoyable learning curve, like many here, my skills were pushed to nearly breaking point at times.
I’ve had moments of ya look at that, too moments of Bloody.........

So ,the Body(Jack plane) with a sole of 01 Tool steel, sides in Brass held together in unison for ever now by Dovetails.
Support a Bed Angle of 45 degrees, with a bevel down Blade of 01 Tool steel(5 mm Thick).

The wood work, is Red Gum Burl , and has been Challenging to use.
I was initially going to use some Forest Red Gum, that Mr Bushmiller kindly sent me ,but changed my mind late in the piece.
Not sure if that was wise or not.
But ,has come up well in the end with its coat of Acrylic Clear.
The front bun and rear tote also has Metal employed in there construction, in an attempt to mimic the Main body’s use of Metal.

This project overall has been a fantastically fun, but the most fun has been the support I’ve gained from this, through watching the other challenges builds.
Note point the Body has a few blemishes [emoji6] now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/ab1a617b5c8386f22bdb4ad77638cd5b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/213fbb1d2b614eb6fda49c07129e2473.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/0f5d00430cd0c2dd2e6dc3a1038977c5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/ff18ee36145bdef51ed339d0f4af0c26.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/96f22bda26cd96cc186a5f9d91217a3f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/657966fe9b0d36e72d69fd708a4f3372.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/6eb5f430cb5a2416e90d74406dcab452.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/a463934f8735c0f300297b340a13c513.jpg

Cheers Matt.

Sheets
30th June 2021, 03:02 AM
They just keep coming (although too late for anyone else now)! Another fantastic result - congratulations.

Steve

shanesmith80
30th June 2021, 09:44 AM
Thanks Ian, unfortunately the only photo I took of it making a shaving was when it was still in its refinement days. But at least it cut.

cheers

IanW
30th June 2021, 10:14 AM
No probs, Shane. I've put it in your "Done" post so now you are now compliant & eligible for judging....
:U
Cheers,
Ian

doug3030
30th June 2021, 10:36 AM
(although too late for anyone else now)!

I think the challenge does not close off until Midnight tonight AEST.

Still 14 hours and a few minutes to go.

doug3030
30th June 2021, 11:10 AM
I have just been reading back over the threads of the competition this morning and I have noted that there is a 200 word limit for the post presenting the plane for judging.

Further investigation revealed that quite a few write-ups exceed the 200-word limit. I also noted that I am possibly the worst offender. (But in my defence I had two planes to write about. :rolleyes: )

Question is - Will exceeding the 200-word limit count against the entry? I note that IanW has pointed out a discrepancy in an entry and assisted the participant to correct it. I am not sure if means that all other submitted entries have been reviewed and accepted "as is" or if other entries might be penalized during judging for not meeting certain criteria such as word count.

No probs, Shane. I've put it in your "Done" post so now you are now compliant & eligible for judging...

If one of the esteemed judges or organizers with sufficient powers to make a decision sees this post in time can they please make a ruling? Preferably in time for any affected participants to make a correction. :2tsup:

Oldgreybeard
30th June 2021, 12:19 PM
I have just been reading back over the threads of the competition this morning and I have noted that there is a 200 word limit for the post presenting the plane for judging.

Further investigation revealed that quite a few write-ups exceed the 200-word limit. I also noted that I am possibly the worst offender. (But in my defence I had two planes to write about. :rolleyes: )

Question is - Will exceeding the 200-word limit count against the entry? I note that IanW has pointed out a discrepancy in an entry and assisted the participant to correct it. I am not sure if means that all other submitted entries have been reviewed and accepted "as is" or if other entries might be penalized during judging for not meeting certain criteria such as word count.

If one of the esteemed judges or organizers with sufficient powers to make a decision sees this post in time can they please make a ruling? Preferably in time for any affected participants to make a correction. :2tsup:

Personally I don't have problem with the number of words - it was originally only intended to be a guideline. I am sure that Ian and his team will err on the side of commonsence, but it is their call.

Bob

Picko
30th June 2021, 12:41 PM
That's a fantastic looking plane Matt, very regal looking with that front knob. Congratulations on a great job.

IanW
30th June 2021, 01:38 PM
.....If one of the esteemed judges or organizers with sufficient powers to make a decision sees this post in time can they please make a ruling? Preferably in time for any affected participants to make a correction. :2tsup:

I think we'll honour that rule in the breach rather than the observance, Doug. TBH, I'd forgotten what the word limit was, & in any case, I got so used to marking exam questions where they were supposed to answer "in 100 words or fewer..", and rabbited on over several pages, that I would probably not have noticed your indiscretion.

In many cases the students were just spinning more rope to hang themselves by - let's hope it doesn't apply in your case......
Ian

Ironwood
30th June 2021, 02:58 PM
I think we'll honour that rule in the breach rather than the observance, Doug. TBH, I'd forgotten what the word limit was, & in any case, I got so used to marking exam questions where they were supposed to answer "in 100 words or fewer..", and rabbited on over several pages, that I would probably not have noticed your indiscretion.

In many cases the students were just spinning more rope to hang themselves by - let's hope it doesn't apply in your case......
Ian
Thank goodness, I just looked at my finished post, and I think I may have gone over by a few words :-

Simplicity
30th June 2021, 03:10 PM
Maybe we could run some sort of numerical challenge next [emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

IanW
1st July 2021, 11:30 AM
OK, the challenge has galloped to the final post. The judges are now deliberating and I would hope we will be able to announce a winner in a day or so & not keep you al in suspense for longer than absolutely necessary.

There are14 'challengees' eligible to go in the draw for the layout tools, & that will be done very soon but I'll hold off announcing the winner 'til we have the other part sorted.

So hold your collective breath.......
Ian

Simplicity
1st July 2021, 07:26 PM
When can we start protesting , I’ve been practicing[emoji6][emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

IanW
1st July 2021, 08:02 PM
The decision of the judges will be final & binding & no correspondence will be entered into.... :q

Simplicity
1st July 2021, 08:40 PM
The decision of the judges will be final & binding & no correspondence will be entered into.... :q

Well who’s sill idea was that [emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

IanW
1st July 2021, 09:16 PM

Cheers Matt.

Mine! :q

Thought I'd have a go at making up some rules too.....

Bushmiller
1st July 2021, 10:07 PM

Sounds like any "appeal" will be strictly limited to the plane aesthetics!

:rolleyes:

Regards
Paul

Oldgreybeard
2nd July 2021, 08:46 AM

Cheers Matt.

Yours ha ha ha !! :D
cheers
Bob

Simplicity
2nd July 2021, 08:01 PM
Yours ha ha ha !! :D
cheers
Bob

No no Bob , Ian has firmly put it that, he just made up the Rule.
So he must have, so it is, matter closed.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
3rd July 2021, 12:49 PM
. .

labr@
3rd July 2021, 02:09 PM
Tis a bit empty all right.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.-HaSQZr9e50dZWKlzYEO6gAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1Should at least be an ongoing drum roll.

IanW
3rd July 2021, 02:23 PM
Patience you lot!

You kept us waiting an extra 6 months while you faffed about with finishing touches, so another day or two isn't much to ask. And who's idea was it to have judges in 3 states, eh? Takes a while to shuttle things back & forth, even with email.

I suggest you all just go & make another plane while you're waiting....
:q

labr@
3rd July 2021, 02:38 PM
....so it doesn't get missed in the final judging orgy....
Cheers,
Ian

I think you lot are just dragging out the fun you're having :rotfl:

Chief Tiff
3rd July 2021, 02:43 PM
I think you lot are just dragging out the fun you're having :rotfl:

Or hanging out to see if any more unsolicited samples of vin rouge are still in transit with Aust Post... :wink: