PDA

View Full Version : Spiral form on stand

Dalboy
21st October 2020, 04:53 AM
Not a new piece but a repair and reposition of the turned spiral form on the plinth.
The spiral is yew and a black ebonising spray inside finished with Acrylis sander sealer and Satin Lacquer and a final polish with wax. The plinth was cut and burnt before adding liming wax and again finished with sealer and satin lacquer with wax final finish.
This piece stands 6" tall or for the younger turners 150mm

Paul39
21st October 2020, 10:07 AM
Wow!!!

tony_A
21st October 2020, 06:49 PM
Thats brilliant Derek, the design is very clever and finished very nicely.
Are you willing to describe how you turned the spiral?

Dalboy
22nd October 2020, 03:39 AM
Thats brilliant Derek, the design is very clever and finished very nicely.
Are you willing to describe how you turned the spiral?

Thank you Tony.

I started with a piece of wood thicker that the piece I wanted and square enough to turn a complete circle of the spiral form. This is cut through the centre and cleaned up a thin kerfed saw is ideal to allow lining up of the grain when everything is assembled.
The spiral is the turned from these two piece cutting from the matching sides the diagram should hopefully explain it better. In total there will be 4 parts the two halfs and two smaller pieces to take the spiral in a little more.

A little difficult to explain.

The diagram shows how the spiral is cut from either side measuring is very important to get all the parts to line up once the turning is done.

I managed to get two sculptures from one whole spiral. The one on the right was the one that needed repairing to what you see in my first post