PDA

View Full Version : Metalcraft muti-bender

colbra
20th November 2005, 09:55 PM
Hi All
I was thinking of purchasing a multi-bender from Metal-craft in Queensland they claim it can bend flat and round steel as well as pipe square and round in varies sizes and with other attachments scrolls as well
www.metalcraftAustralia.com Has any one out there got one or know any thing about them .
Regards Col

ozwinner
21st November 2005, 07:48 AM
Hi All
I was thinking of purchasing a multi-bender from Metal-craft in Queensland they claim it can bend flat and round steel as well as pipe square and round in varies sizes and with other attachments scrolls as well
www.metalcraftAustralia.com (http://www.metalcraftAustralia.com) Has any one out there got one or know any thing about them .
Regards Col

There shouldnt be any problem bending steel with a........................ tractor????

Al :confused:

colbra
21st November 2005, 07:58 AM
Hi Al
Look down the page further and you will find the the metal bender
Col

ozwinner
21st November 2005, 08:53 AM
OK got it.

$2000 is a lot of money to spend, ok if you are going to go into production.

Im sure you can buy a lot of scrolls for that sort of money.

Here is some more types.
http://www.metalace.com.au/scroller.html
http://www.chevingtonmetaltools.com/products.shtml

Al :)

MikeThePom
21st November 2005, 09:01 AM
Col,
I remember seeing something like this at the Melbourne WW show recently. I am sure I got a flyer from them I'll see if I can dig it out tonight.

The one they showed was very good if you want to bend / shape flat bar, round bar tube etc. While I watched (about 10 mins) he created a wall mounted plant pot stand using various techniques.

Mike

colbra
21st November 2005, 10:58 AM
Hi Mike
That sounds like the one, Al has had a look at the site and said its $2000 I think thats for the whole workshop including press and roller former and a full set of scrolls and dies possibly some other bits and pieces.
I was interested in the bench model for about $300 if worked OK I may get some other bits later

scooter
23rd November 2005, 12:38 AM
Gday Col, this may be of interest:

http://www.backissuestore.com/sn069.html

This Shopnotes article describes a homemade bending jig, basically 3 layers of ply glued together, with a number of holes with various spacing drilled in the top of it.

The bending is done between steel pins, as in the piccie, or around various diameter (they used 1" to 5") wooden wheels that bolt through the holes.

The article described how to make various decorative scrolls & curves, shelf supports, s hooks, tool hangers, etc bent out of flat steel or rod. You could probably use fairly small guage tubing too for gentle bends.

There is another article in the same issue about making a press for sharp and rounded bends in flat steel, they made steel handles for a chest as an example. It occured to me the superjaws or a vice with two nesting angle iron jaws could do this more easily.

Check out the link, I have the issue, if of interest I'll scan & post the articles.

Cheers..............Sean, bent out of shape :)

ptrott
23rd November 2005, 01:25 PM
Scooter, I would really appreciate a post of that bending jig. I looks like it could be made to do a lot more with a bit of imagination.
Looking forward to seeing how it is done.
Thanks,
Phill.

scooter
23rd November 2005, 10:56 PM
No worries Phil, here 'tis.

First 5 pages of 8 total.

Cheers..........Sean, bend for a friend :eek: :p

scooter
23rd November 2005, 10:58 PM
Last 3 of 8.

Cheers.............Sean, bent outta shape :)

colbra
26th November 2005, 07:15 AM
Hi Scooter
:) Thanks for putting that article on line I will give it a go, I think the scroll bender has a lot of potential. If its not to much trouble could you please put the artical on Bench top Storage System, a good friend of mine is looking to make some thing a long that line and that looks just what she was after

havagooday Col

ptrott
27th November 2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks Scooter, much appreciated.:)

Phill.

laf
13th January 2009, 09:57 AM
:D i got a base bench model with out all the gear and then picked up scrap to make my diferent dyes

bollie7
19th January 2009, 02:59 PM
I have some scans from an old Popular Mechanics DIY book showing a couple of benders similar to the one scooter posted but these ones are made from steel.
Problem is if I reduce the file size to be able to post them, the dimensions are too small to be readable. Files range in size from 405kb down to 91kb. Max posting size is 100kb as a JPEG.

Any suggestions? No I don't have a photo bucket account ( At least I don't think so)

regards
bollie7

laf
19th January 2009, 05:47 PM
keep trying as they would be great
how do you send a pm
laf

Grahame Collins
19th January 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Laf
To send a PM.
Click on the name of the person you want to send the PM t.

Its in the box on the left.

A pull list down appears.
Click on the line that says send a PM to
Follow the directions.
To check for incoming PM,s watch the welcome message at the top tight of the page.Also you will get a pop up message most times.

Dead easy mate !

Grahame

Grahame Collins
19th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Oh come on guys!!!
You are reading a metalwork forum and you are even thinking about buying something?

If there ever was one, this is a fabrication project screaming to be made.

With it you can make so many other bits and pieces.

You have some some design elements there and and some drawings which you can convert from working with wood to metal.

If I had my shed built it would be a goer for sure.

I especially like the floor mounted frame which lends it self to a modular mounting system of of attachments .

Who wants to start? What do you all reckon we just make a parts list and cost the components and go from there ?

Grahame

bollie7
21st January 2009, 09:36 AM
Heres a couple of pics of a small sheet bender that my late father made from angle. He just used what ever materials he had on hand. I've only had to use it a couple of times but it works quite well. It wouldn't be hard to modify it to get rid of the bolts in the middle of the clamp plate. A bit of 6mm plate on edge, welded to the top of the clamp would make it strong enough that it wouldn't flex.
The bit under the clamp is angle with the vertical side pointing down. this is clamped in the vice.
The vice has 100mm wide jaws so that will give you an idea of the size.

regards

bollie7