PDA

View Full Version : virgin boat builder

wayne79
20th November 2005, 10:10 PM
:confused:
Hi All
After my grandfather recently went in to a nursing home i was cleaning out his garage and found his 40 yr old full size boat plans. These plans do not have any instructions and with all the timber on the market i am stuck on what sort of timber i should use for the frame. Some websites i have looked at say Top pine is a good material for boat building I have never herd of top pine before, or should i use a hard wood like TAS OAK. Or something else. Hints and tips would also be greatly appretiated.

Thanks Heaps

Regards Wayne :)

bitingmidge
20th November 2005, 10:20 PM
Wayne,

My first tip would be to frame the plans, and build a more contemporary design. A lot has changed in 40 years, including hull and material efficiencies.

What sort of boat is it to start?

Traditional boat building methods are a romantic notion, and if the boat was already built I'd be the first to back you, but there are a lot cheaper and better methods these days.

cheers,

P;)

KevM
21st November 2005, 01:38 PM
:confused:
Hi All
After my grandfather recently went in to a nursing home i was cleaning out his garage and found his 40 yr old full size boat plans. These plans do not have any instructions and with all the timber on the market i am stuck on what sort of timber i should use for the frame. Some websites i have looked at say Top pine is a good material for boat building I have never herd of top pine before, or should i use a hard wood like TAS OAK. Or something else. Hints and tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Heaps

Wayne,
I believe some one has dropped a word from the timber name, should read Celery Top Pine. Celery Top Pine has been used for boat building here for many years, just getting harder to get clear boat grade boards.

Check out the Tasmanian Timber Website for more details http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/species/celerytop_01.asp

Kev M