PDA

View Full Version : advice wanted re K1 kayak David Payne build

Glennandrew
25th October 2020, 04:36 PM
Hi guys

wanted to upgrade my heavy plastic kayak 26 kg to something lighter

So got some plans from boat craft for the David Paynes TK1 single chine marathon racing Kayak, uses 3mm ply and just tape to the chines , would like some order of instructions to proceed

question is the plans come on a single B1 page, with mould station and bulkhead templates, scale 1:1,( please forgive my newbie questions)

are these the same,? do I simply trace then cut out a set of each?, set up a strong back ? laying them in line then cover in ply , or stitch and glue panels then place the moulds and bulkheads to hold the shape

also would like advice on best way to derive the side and bottom panel measures from the templates ,

cant find any photos of other builds to see how its done,

grateful for any help

regards

Glenn

ian
26th October 2020, 05:18 AM
Hi Glenn
welcome to the forums

have you directed your questions to Boat Craft Pacific?

I'm a bit surprised that the plans arrived without any instructions. Perhaps an instruction manual is an optional extra, or there's a book you are advised to purchase.

Glennandrew
26th October 2020, 10:50 AM
yes that was my plan b
ask at boat craft
else buy a good book
surprised nothing on line showing the building process though
thanks
glenn

ian
26th October 2020, 04:38 PM
yes that was my plan b
ask at boat craft
else buy a good book
surprised nothing on line showing the building process though
Glenn

David Payne stopped his design work in early 2016 or possibly earlier.
Your plans possibly date from the mid-noughties. So I'm not overly surprised by the lack of build threads.

:2tsup: to buying a book or perhaps two.

I note that most (all ?) of the links to David Payne's designs on BoatcraftNSW.net are no longer functional.

Glennandrew
27th October 2020, 07:55 AM
Ian

yes thanks

staring at the plans am slowly seeing how it all comes together now

just been very spoiled by having full size plans and instruction manuals in the past .

will absolutely give it a go as it looks like a really good design and not too tippy , light and easy to manage for my needs

so thanks again

glenn

ian
27th October 2020, 08:17 AM
Don't forget to take us along for the ride

:)