PDA

View Full Version : Hobby course

JulieS
30th October 2020, 12:55 PM
Hi All. I hope this is the right way to do it, I've never posted in a forum before. My son is going into yr 10 next year (15YO) and has a timetable clash with the woodwork class, so is unable to do it. Does anyone know of hobby courses for that age in/around Chadstone (3145)? Holmesglen is close, but he's not wanting an apprenticeship or any course like that, just a hobby course. Thanks in advance for any help.

ian
31st October 2020, 02:40 AM
Melbourne Guild of Fine Woodworking
Go to Website (http://www.mgfw.com.au/)
Ongoing morning, afternoon and evening woodworking classes for beginners right through to experienced woodworkers. Small class sizes enable each student to get one on one instruction from our qualified instructors.

Address:
79b Lexton Rd, Box Hill Nth, Vic, 3129

Contact Person: Alistair Boell
Tel: 0413 537 490
Mobile: 0413 537 490
Email: [email protected]

Victorian Woodworkers Association Inc

Go to Website (http://www.vwa.org.au/)
Basic skills through to furniture making; evening and weekend classes.

Address:
5 Tyrone St, North Melbourne, Vic, 3051

Contact Person: Course Coordinator
Tel: 03 5776 2178

alternate contact person:
Jerome Wielens
Tel: 0431 891 451

Hi Julie

First off, welcome to the Woodwork Forums

secondly, above are the two woodworking "schools" in Melbourne that are listed in the magazine Australian Wood Review

Now, given Melbourne has only left lock down in the past week, I don't know the status of the classes on offer through these two providers.
Also, as you might notice from my signature block, i currently reside in Canada.

The other organisation you might try is:
The Council of Woodwork Clubs
To Find Out About a Woodwork Club Near You.
The Council of Woodwork Clubs (Vic. Reg. N°A0036694C) links clubs throughout Australia.
Information about clubs is available from the Administration Office
email: [email protected]
Go to Website (https://www.councilwoodworkclubs.org/)

Pat
31st October 2020, 07:43 AM
Given the age of the lad, the club may insist on parental supervision.

It has to do with Insurance, more than anything.

verawood
31st October 2020, 09:08 AM
Welcome

doug3030
31st October 2020, 10:57 AM
My son is going into yr 10 next year (15YO) and has a timetable clash with the woodwork class, so is unable to do it. Does anyone know of hobby courses for that age in/around Chadstone (3145)?

Hi Julie,

I would suggest that you look for a local club firstly. That way you could put him, any yourself, in touch with some experienced woodworkers who would be likely to help him get started with minimal financial outlay. That would allow you to gauge his interest in continuing and provide a venue for him to try it out without having to buy his own equipment, which can get costly depending on what aspect of woodworking he attaches himself to.

After he proves his interest and dedication and maybe done some in-house courses at the club then you could look at the schools Ian mentioned. They are both very good but can be costly.

JulieS
31st October 2020, 05:06 PM
Thanks to everyone, you have given me places to investigate.
Julie.