PDA

View Full Version : Spindle registration Laguna Revo 12/16 Outboard Turning Kit

doragus
13th November 2020, 05:38 PM
After much deliberation I have purchased the Laguna Revo 12/16 with the outboard turning kit and a Supernova II chuck. I have it set up and have done a bit of trial inboard turning and I’m impressed. I started to set up the outboard extension today but I’m not sure if I have set the spindle/chuck assembly up properly. It’s not that obvious what each of the components (spindle adaptor and chuck insert) register on and I can see a very slight wobble in the chuck. I have everything as tight as I would normally go but maybe I need more pressure to get the adaptor to register to the spindle or the chuck inset to register to the adaptor.
The chuck with insert registers perfectly inboard with normal pressure so no problem there. I suspect the problem is with the spindle adaptor. It is round with no gripping surfaces so there is no obvious way to put a lot of pressure on it to cinch it up with the spindle although I guess I could do it with the chuck.
Anyone have one of these lathes with the outboard kit and can tell me what registers on what and if a lot of force is required to get the surfaces to register?
Thanks

Stumpy Tail
14th November 2020, 06:31 PM
I dont have a Laguna Revo 12/16 but have used the bigger Lagunas in the past. I looked up the system used for the outboard turning and think the problem is with the adaptor that you seem to need to do the O/B turning. These adaptors (not this one specifically but adaptors in general) have long been known for causing problems because it means the chuck or faceplate is that little bit further away from the head stock. It could be 30mm extra depending on the length of the adaptor. This can exaggerate any slight imperfections (or out-of-roundness) the adaptor, chuck, chuck insert or spindle may have. They can also create a vibration when turning. Adaptors are worth avoiding whenever possible.

I would check that the spindle is running true on the O/B side of the lathe, as well as the adaptor. Do this without a chuck on. If they are not running perfectly true then you have a warranty issue and you should return the lathe. If you do return the lathe make a note of the serial number so you don't get the same lathe back! I have seen this happen before.

Another thing you could look for is any grease, gunk, dirt, wood chips, in the threads or on the surfaces of the adaptors, inserts or chuck. I remember using a brand new chuck that hadn't been cleaned properly and it wobbled about until the grease was cleaned out of all the vital areas. Hopefully this is your problem because this is an easy fis.

Generally speaking, the inserts in chucks are self-tightening in the normal running of a lathe so I only ever hand tighten my inserts. Getting them off is normally the problem turners have with inserts. However, when turning O/B this is not the case and the rotation of the spindle has to be reversed to overcome the issue of the chuck winding itself off. EVS has made this possible. I can only assume you need an insert with a L/H thread for your chuck as well as the adaptor so you can turn on the LHS of the bowl with the spindle in reverse.

doragus
14th November 2020, 08:40 PM
Thanks Stumpy. Yes, I suspect you're right about the adaptor. I'll have another close look and maybe talk to someone at the supplier.