PDA

View Full Version : Old Vicmarc lathe.

pedrogb
16th November 2020, 03:16 PM
Hi all
I recently purchased an old Vicmarc VL200 lathe dated late 80's.
I have been in touch with Vicmarc, they've been helpful but no instruction manual available.
Would anyone have any info out there?
I have managed to strip it, it's in good repair, but needs some love.
Any help would be appreciated.
Pedro

Enfield Guy
16th November 2020, 04:07 PM
Not muck to know really. I reckon if you download any of the manuals available on their site you will prolly find your answers.

pedrogb
17th November 2020, 12:18 PM
I have most of it back together and sorted, the issue is the tailstock quill doesn't appear to receive MT2 fittings with live centre etc on them. On the headstock the MT2 fittings go inside securely, but the mouth of the quill on the tail stock is only approx 14.7mm. Only the squared off end and 5 to 10 mm of MT2 fitting will go inside the quill. The inside of the quill feels as though there is a small lip around the entire internal perimeter. I have spoken to the previous owner's son, he is looking for something that may be missing, an adapter to go from MT2 to something else, or a different live centre. There are other forms of taper ie Brown Sharpe etc. Hence the manual or if someone had one I though they might be able to help.
Thanks
Pedro

Lyle
17th November 2020, 03:00 PM
Is the tailstock wound out??
Does it wind in fully?
Does this model eject the taper when wound out fully. Maybe it is just an adjustment or needs a good clean out.??
Other than that I cannot guess what the problem may be.
Lyle

pedrogb
17th November 2020, 04:14 PM
Yep tailstock moves in and out no problem, can't eject taper as it wont fit in there. It's all clean. Awaiting previous owner searching shed for a different fitting.

pommyphil
17th November 2020, 04:31 PM
I have an old (1989) VL175sh and the hole in the quill starts at 17.7mm. all my M2 tapers fit perfectly. Is it possible that the end of the quill has been bashed and formed a 1.5mm "lip" on the inside. Mcjing sell cutters for cleaning up morse tapers

pedrogb
17th November 2020, 04:53 PM
I had thought that Phil, it certainly doesn't look like it has been bashed, very uniform and neat. The reamer may be last resort, but unsure how far I will get. Thanks for the tip.
Pedro

Stumpy Tail
17th November 2020, 05:13 PM
Your tail stock issue is very odd. Could it be that it takes a #1 Morse Taper? if so you may be able to buy another quill that will fit the TStock. I know they are available but whether they fit this older model I am unsure. I wouldn't go down the reaming path unless you are skilled at this type of process.

pedrogb
17th November 2020, 06:29 PM
Hi all
Yep I agree it's odd. Just measured external diameter and its 31.75 so at least I can buy a tailstock quill extension, that should sort it giving me an mt2 to work with. As you can see it doesn't look abused. I will look at reamer. It's only got to clear out the lip.

pommyphil
17th November 2020, 08:57 PM
could it be a number 1 morse taper?

pedrogb
17th November 2020, 09:08 PM
My understanding from the net is mt1 is 12.065 and mt2 is 17.8.
This is why I'm asking. The little lip inside the quill feels like at least 1mm. So I figure it is probably abuse. But for 60 bucks I can buy an extender that fits over the outside on the quill. Pretty sure that is easiest. But waiting on previous owner family scoring the shed. Thanks for everyone's help
Pedro

Old Croc
17th November 2020, 09:30 PM
My understanding from the net is mt1 is 12.065 and mt2 is 17.8.
This is why I'm asking. The little lip inside the quill feels like at least 1mm. So I figure it is probably abuse. But for 60 bucks I can buy an extender that fits over the outside on the quill. Pretty sure that is easiest. But waiting on previous owner family scoring the shed. Thanks for everyone's help
Pedro
Pedro, would you like me to come and have a look at it, I am a metal machinist as well?
Rgds,
Crocy.

pedrogb
18th November 2020, 08:39 AM
That would be awesome! When suits? I'm working today, but after 5pm is ok for me (and before SOO), then I'm not working from Sunday for two weeks. I'm in Hermit Park. I can PM my mobile to coordinate when it suits.
Pedro

Treecycle
18th November 2020, 08:39 PM
Looking at the 4th photo in the original post it looks like the drive centre, live entre and chuck all have the same MT's which would indicate that the head stock and tailstock were the same at some stage but the tailstock quill has been changed out if they don't fit now. Hopefully Crocy can sort out where the problem lies.

pedrogb
18th November 2020, 09:13 PM
I brought a pair of inside calipers home from work. I measured the inside diameter behind the lip i can feel in the quill and it is at least 17mm. It tapers narrower as it goes further. It must have been damaged somehow to cause the lip. I would say its mt2. I will let a professional look at it before ì do much else. I think it can be reamed out. Maybe not by me!
Thanks for all the responses
Pedro

Old Croc
18th November 2020, 09:21 PM
That would be awesome! When suits? I'm working today, but after 5pm is ok for me (and before SOO), then I'm not working from Sunday for two weeks. I'm in Hermit Park. I can PM my mobile to coordinate when it suits.
Pedro
Sunday is fine, PM me your number,
Rgds,
Crocy.

pedrogb
18th November 2020, 09:37 PM
Awesome Crocy thanks

pedrogb
19th November 2020, 06:27 PM
Awesome Crocy thanks
OK crisis averted. Unexpected day off meant time to play in shed in between taking teenager to doctor. Spoke to a friend who makes knives, he has a metal lathe among other things. He milled the offending end off to the point where the taper had been flogged out of shape. Problem solved. It was always an mt2, just abused. It even lines up pretty well with the drive centre. Thanks for the assistance
Crocy feel free to call in for a look and a chat anyway if you are close by
Pedro