PDA

View Full Version : nail question

scubabob
21st November 2005, 09:26 PM
Hi, i have a question about some nails i have never seen before. I was scuba-diving around one of the piers in Melbourne and found a couple of small copper nails about 2" (50mm) long with a square head and square, striaght shaft. They had been down there a while but i have found another that looked relatively new. People i have spoken to have given me conflicting answers as to age and purpose. Anyone have any ideas?

While i am here, i have on and off, been involved in woodwork in one form or another as a hobby most of my life but cruising through this site i have to say that i have never seen so much work that was just so amazing to look at. i have looked at everything in the picture galleries and i am so awestruck by the excellance in the work you guys produce. i hope that someday i will be half as good.

journeyman Mick
21st November 2005, 10:24 PM
Bob,
they're copper roves, used rather like rivets in traditional boatbuilding. Drill hole through parts to be joined, drive rove through, place washer over end, clinch end down over washer. As they are unbent (I assume) then they've never been used. They probably fell over board during a refit.

Mick

scubabob
22nd November 2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the info Mick. All makes sense. Another aquatic riddle solved

ozwinner
22nd November 2005, 07:00 PM
Bob,
they're copper roves,
Mick

Isnt that the rather annoying little poof on tv??

Al :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
22nd November 2005, 07:42 PM
But he was never a copper.

Rex Hunt was a copper though. Maybe they are Copper Rex's. Stands to reason too, 'cos he spends a lot of time round the water, and probably dropped 'em in when he was casting a line.

Probably doesn't want them back, but you could try for a reward I s'pose.

P
:D :D :D

ozwinner
22nd November 2005, 07:47 PM

Rex Hunt was a copper though. Maybe they are Copper Rex's. Stands to reason too, 'cos he spends a lot of time round the water, and probably dropped 'em in when he was casting a line.

P

Juss as long as you dont beat him up to give em back....

Al :D

Auld Bassoon
22nd November 2005, 07:56 PM
Hi Bob,

As Mick says, they're roves - like this?

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/hardware/fasteners/91z3002s1.jpg

Cheers!

Shedhand
22nd November 2005, 10:04 PM
Hi Bob,

As Mick says, they're roves - like this?

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/hardware/fasteners/91z3002s1.jpg

Cheers!

When the Lady Nelson replica was being built the Project Team sold roves for 10 bucks each to raise funds. I bought 2 and as a reward they engraved your name on the washer (and shaft I think). :)

Iain
23rd November 2005, 07:47 AM
They look similar to what I used to make a paddle board out of years ago, from Blockeys, a copper nail that was ribbed.
The idea was that the ribbing held them in when the timber swelled around them.

scooter
23rd November 2005, 09:22 AM
Paddle board Iain? :confused:

For belting the kids?

Gee, putting nails in it is a bit extreme, I guess the first couple of swings would bend the copper nails over, but, still... :D

The things you find out about yer fellow west gippslanders... :p

Cheers...............Sean, needs a jolly good spanking (anyone? :))

Lignum
23rd November 2005, 12:08 PM

P

Harry Snapper Organs was a copper, and he was after Doug Phirana who used similar nails to nail Vince Snetterton-Lewis head to the floor.... Hmmm:cool:

bennylaird
23rd November 2005, 12:37 PM
Well he had to didn't he?
He was a tough man but fair.

Lignum
23rd November 2005, 12:47 PM
Well he had to didn't he?
He was a tough man but fair.

Well Vince did transgress the unwritten law. But on all accounts old Dinsy was a smashing bloke, he used to buy his mother flowers and all:cool:

scubabob
23rd November 2005, 08:11 PM
close to the mark Auld Bassoon but the shaft is straight and square, not round and there is no point at the end, only a blunt end. Damn, wish i had a digicam

markharrison
23rd November 2005, 09:52 PM
close to the mark Auld Bassoon but the shaft is straight and square, not round and there is no point at the end, only a blunt end. Damn, wish i had a digicam

Sounds like a cut nail. See this link at Tremont Nail (http://www.tremontnail.com/catalog.htm) in the US for some pictures though they don't have stock copper nails. I suppose there is no reason they could not be made in copper though they would be a little soft.

Cut nail are how nails used to be made. They are still made as they are still useful as they do not tend to split what you are nailing though. It looks counter-intuitive but it's true.