PDA

View Full Version : Painting Hartley

csp
22nd November 2005, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

Some advice on painting Hartley would be appreciated. I have sanded from the deck up back to timber and would like to know the types of paint and primer to use. I will be spraying the boat. Also if there is any type of clear protective paint that can be sprayed over the paint.

Below decks are in good condition I have just sanded back slightly to rough it up abit to give new paint something to bond to. I would like to know what type of paint (2 pak or other) to use and also if there is a clear protecting paint I can spray on. I will be using this boat as a fishing boat on the lakes so there will be times when I will be dragging the boat up to the shore. What type of protection should I put on the bottom of the hull to give added protection.

Thanks in advance
csp

Gumby
22nd November 2005, 11:25 AM
Get the best quality marine enamel you can buy. I only ever used one pack enamels on my boats but others swear by the 2 pack. It's up to you but as long as it's quality stuff, it should be fine. Same with the undercoat, follow the directions on the paint cans.

I stipped back my PT all the way many years ago and gave it sprayed the new paint on. It took lots of thin coats but looked like glass ! :D Don't put it on too heavy and be patient.