PDA

View Full Version : How to use reclaimed slab hut timber?

Bushie
1st December 2020, 10:49 PM
Finally got around to pulling down a little slab shed after a wind storm started the job for me.
Have about 12 from the 22 or so, that may be useful.

Ironically coming up soon I want to build a little rustic vanity and was thinking of getting a slab, may be I may be able to dress a few of these and make a 800 x 600 top.

Is this doable?

Trying to upload pics but having strife tonight.

Bushie
1st December 2020, 10:55 PM
Rough pic happened.
Did high pressure wash these two and four more today that are arguably better.
They range from about 1.5 to 1.9 and 150 to 400ish wide.

Cheers.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd December 2020, 08:40 AM
It's do-able provided the wood is still relatively solid. This is the sort of project I like. :)

I'd be inclined to sticker the slabs indoors in a cool, dry spot for a few months to let them dry out thoroughly. Not because they need curing or because you've washed them, but because they've been exposed to the elements for long term.

They'll probably be harder than the equivalent 'new' timber, so will be a bit rougher on your machines.

Also, it looks like the checks are deep enough you'll never get rid of them. Still, you did say you wanted rustic and some epoxy fill tinted in a sympathetic colour will go a long way to giving you a suitable flat surface for a vanity.

AlexS
2nd December 2020, 05:40 PM
It may be worth resawing them so that you have one 'good' side. I did this with some old cedar school desks that had all the stuff that kids carve into them. I wanted to keep them on the underside of the coffee table I made.