PDA

View Full Version : Advice on attaching hide to rocking horse?

Ratbag Oz
22nd November 2005, 11:39 PM
A few years back, I came into posession of my hubby's original childhood rocking horse. Estimates put this horse at 45+ years old. The hide on the horse was bug - eaten and holey, so I decided the only thing to do was to remove it, thinking I could sand it back to a nice finish, as I was expecting wood underneath. Yes :rolleyes: I know, I should have done more reasearch before undertaking a project such as this. But it really was so bug-eaten, I think I would've done the same if I were starting now.

As I took of the hide, I was surprised to find not wood underneath, but woodshavings, which presented a great problem, as it (Of course) starting falling out. So as I pulled off the broken hide, I covered the wood shavings in a thin layer of papier mache to keep it in perfect place (See picture). With the idea of finishing the wood out the window, and no hide to replace the original with, the horse "Harry" has sat for a couple of years :(

Today a calf died, and we recovered a resonable hide. I have apholstery tacks, and I have kept it wet for fitting over the horse, I am planning to tan with a home - brewed concotion (a recipe from grandmother in law), allow it to semi-dry before tacking to prevent too much shrinking and trim it with a skinning knife.

I have worked with raw hide before, but never anything so complicated, or on such a large project (understatement!) any advice, tips, tricks, tales or warnings greatly apreciated :D

Ratbag

kendersbee
25th July 2009, 05:15 PM
Have just seen your 2005 article about rocking horse restoration. I have a similar horse and was wondering how to restick the hide. I have not pulled it off but want to restick loose bits. How did you go recovering yours? :roll:

Burnsy
25th July 2009, 05:30 PM
Ratbag's last activity was June 2006, so reckon you have little chance of getting a response.

kendersbee
25th July 2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the response.. yes I noticed that it was dated 2005 but thought there was a chance there might be a reply. I haven't seen a horse like the one I have until I saw that photo.. If anyone has an Idea?? of what glue would be best to use I would appreciate the information.:?:?