PDA

View Full Version : Power Carvers for Lettering

TomHoffman
23rd November 2005, 05:15 AM
New Here..

I am in the middle of a project that I would like to add some carved lettering. It is an Arts and Crafts Mission style bed. I would like to carve some words into the top of the cap board on the foot board.

The wood is kiln dried white oak with heavy tiger striping. I would like to incise the letters down into the board about 3/8" deep using the Roman Clasical Style.

I have the letter templates, so should be good to go.

Now the porblem, I have never carved wood before, and have been looking into th various reciprocating carvers, I have a Fordom shaft tool, I could buy a new shaft end for it, Just don't know which one to buy and what kind of results I could expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.......

schaf
23rd November 2005, 07:19 AM
Hi Tom
Sounds a nice project.
I would use hand chisels to do the job.You will acheive a very clean cut and have far better control then if you use power.
Chris Pye has produced a great book called 'LETTERCARVING IN WOOD' which would be well worth a look.
I know that my local libery has the book so maybe check your libery.
Good luck and post a pic when complete.
Regards Terry

Just George
11th December 2005, 10:26 PM
I know this is an old thread, but Arbortech is good for this. Bunnings is no longer going to stock Arbortech so they may have these items reduced.

Barry_White
11th December 2005, 10:55 PM
Tom is in the states so I don't think Bunnings have any branches over there and not even sure Arbortech carvers are available in the states. They are one of the few excellent tools manufactured in Australia.

Just George
11th December 2005, 11:14 PM
Tom is in the states so I don't think Bunnings have any branches over there and not even sure Arbotech carvers are available in the states. They are one of the few excellent tools manufactured in Australia.

Sorry, I overlooked where he is from.