PDA

View Full Version : Perth - anyone have a mitre trimmer I could use for ten minutes?

yowie
12th December 2020, 10:33 PM
Hi guys,

I am making a one off picture frame and can’t seem to get the accuracy I am looking for with the mitres.
would anyone be willing to let me come around and trim them up?

Regards

BobL
13th December 2020, 09:19 AM
Manning Men shed has one.

Call 9313 2739 (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=manning+mens+shed&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#) and ask to speak to Allan or Roland.

GraemeCook
13th December 2020, 11:34 AM
I am making a one off picture frame and can’t seem to get the accuracy I am looking for with the mitres....

I have made a lot of picture frames and found that errant joints were frequently not caused by the mitre angle.

The more common problem was that the opposing sides were not exactly the same length - accuracy of 0.2mm is required.

China
13th December 2020, 01:23 PM
If you plan on making frames in the future you can also make yourself a shooting board, I used to true up my picture frame mitres this way until I came across a trimmer at the right price

Old Hilly
13th December 2020, 02:16 PM
I have made a lot of picture frames and found that errant joints were frequently not caused by the mitre angle.

The more common problem was that the opposing sides were not exactly the same length - accuracy of 0.2mm is required.

And a saw with fine, sharp teeth and no play in the arbour definitely helps. The shooting/ chute board definitely helps to make those sides exactly the same length.

yowie
13th December 2020, 04:54 PM
I’m happy with the length and angles, my makita saw seems to put a very slight S bend in the cut for some reason. Only really noticeable on a large flat join of two boards. The length of the cut is about 100mm and it looks just noticeable once the error is doubled.

it is quite a wide board to shoot but I may have to give it a go.

I almost bought a trimmer six months ago too.

Old Hilly
13th December 2020, 05:48 PM
An "S" bend in the cut? That's interesting. Someone will tell me I'm wrong but it sounds like the blade is vibrating and has reached it's resonant frequency where it really "gets a wobble up", just enough to make an out if true cut. Or there is play in the arbour bearings, which isn't all that unusual these days. Sounds like the hand plane and shooting board is in order. It'll come in handy in the future anyway, at least that's what I told myself a year ago. Any excuse to buy a new tool.

yowie
13th December 2020, 06:04 PM
No new tools required. Just had to make a quick left handed shooting board. All done.

yowie
13th December 2020, 06:07 PM
Photo of board