PDA

View Full Version : Wood for satellites

woodPixel
30th December 2020, 12:43 PM
There isnt a section for Space, nor Satellite Construction, so one may need to be added soon!

Looks like we are now in the satellite construction business lads! --> Japanese pairing looking into using wood to build satellites (https://techxplore.com/news/2020-12-japanese-pairing-wood-satellites.html)

rrich
30th December 2020, 04:56 PM
But, what happens when the residual moisture in the wood boils? Remember as the ambient pressure decreases water boils at a lower temperature. In High School we put a beaker of water in a bell jar and extracted as much air as possible. we were actually able to freeze some of the water after 25 minutes or so.

elanjacobs
30th December 2020, 05:11 PM
Wood can be treated to remove a lot of the moisture; can't find exact numbers, but Cambia (heat treated) has much lower moisture content than normal.

I also wonder if the remaining water could be allowed to boil off naturally if the pressure change was slow enough

woodPixel
30th December 2020, 05:51 PM
Knife and Pen makers regularly put timber in vacuum chambers.

I have one which pulls 15 micron, which is within a hair of space.

Nothing explodes :)

elanjacobs
30th December 2020, 06:43 PM
Nothing explodes :)
Well that doesn't sound very fun :p

AlexS
31st December 2020, 07:44 AM
But, what happens when the residual moisture in the wood boils? Remember as the ambient pressure decreases water boils at a lower temperature. In High School we put a beaker of water in a bell jar and extracted as much air as possible. we were actually able to freeze some of the water after 25 minutes or so.
We did that - hooked a bell jar up to a hand-cranked vacuum pump called Farting Annie and cranked away, to much amusement from the assembled teenaged boys.

Simplicity
31st December 2020, 08:44 AM
So will this end up being my satellite is bigger and better than your satellite thing.

Cheers Matt.

taz01
31st December 2020, 10:32 AM
So will this end up being my satellite is bigger and better than your satellite thing.

Cheers Matt.I think it might be more a competition of whose satellites have better joinery....

Regards

Adam

doug3030
31st December 2020, 12:36 PM
I think it might be more a competition of whose satellites have better joinery...

Actually with satellites it's more a case of "What goes around comes around." :roll:

rwbuild
31st December 2020, 12:37 PM
A whole new meaning for 'fibre to the node'

Old Hilly
31st December 2020, 04:32 PM
Could the "little house out the back" be considered a "satellite" of the main house?