PDA

View Full Version : Confession – I am a darksider

Wongo
24th November 2005, 10:13 PM
As mush as I hate to admit it there is a darkside in me. I love using hand tools. I think it is traditional, it is more craftsmen like and most importantly it gives me satisfaction.

So WB your prayer has been answered.

I am feeling vulnerable right now. What should I tell you next? Maybe I like cats too.

Hang on I do like cats if you know what I mean.:D

Good night:)

Schtoo
24th November 2005, 10:17 PM
From that pic, it almost looks like you 'came out of the closet'.

Lets see what the peanut gallery think of that shall we? :D

craigb
24th November 2005, 10:25 PM
Scott mate,

You are just a woodworker, albiet a more than competent one.

Darkside, lightside, who cares?

Is the journey more important than the destination?

Only you (and each one of us) can answer that.

Craig

MajorPanic
24th November 2005, 10:26 PM
We always knew!!!!!!!!! http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbup.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbup.gif

Try as you might to hide it we are not blind!!

I really love LOOOONG hand plane shavings:cool: :D :D :D (don't tell anyone :p )

leeton
24th November 2005, 10:31 PM
Nice workshop...and tools, you have nicer benches and cupboards in the shed than I have in the house....:rolleyes:

Gumby
24th November 2005, 10:47 PM
As mush as I hate to admit it there is a darkside in me. I love using hand tools.

You didn't have me fooled. I've had you marked down as one of them for ages. Now you've come out, there's no turning back. Suffer. :D

(I'm never going down that road - Power Rules!)

Termite
25th November 2005, 07:35 AM
Oh yeah? You know the old saying...never say never. :D

TassieKiwi
25th November 2005, 08:30 AM
Good on yer Wongo - me too. If it takes longer, who cares? Luuurve those shavings.

"Never underestimate the POWER of the Dark Side......."

Translation - "I just have to have the LN chisels, LV Jointer & BU smoother, Indepandence handsaws, #140, ......."

outback
25th November 2005, 08:50 AM
Don't worry about it Wongo, some just take a little longer to see the light of the dark side. Doesn't everything in the world feel better now?
Those silly light siders will wake up one day, their electron burning habits will reap their vengance, and they will repent. :D

Welcome home Wongo.

Wongo
25th November 2005, 09:02 AM
Oh man, I had only one beer last night.

What did I say?:D

Wood Borer
25th November 2005, 09:03 AM
Scott,

I think the darksider was always in you. It has come to the fore and you are now enjoying the pleasures.

Like Craig suggested, everyone to their own and some people gain as much pleasure using power tools as darksiders gain pleasure using hand tools. A similar journey but in a different vehicle.

I enjoy being in the company of all satisfied woodworkers whether or not they be darksiders. Of course a bit of fun can be had laying it on those who do not share the same pleasures as myself but it is only ever fun.

IanW
25th November 2005, 09:04 AM
Oh man, I had only one beer last night.

Thash the probrem!! ;)

echnidna
25th November 2005, 09:09 AM
so is your next project a treadle lathe Wongo?????????

Wongo
25th November 2005, 09:21 AM
so is your next project a treadle lathe Wongo?????????

2 beers:p

Wood Borer
25th November 2005, 09:48 AM
2 beers:p

Which way are holding your fingers?:eek:

Termite
25th November 2005, 12:23 PM
some people gain as much pleasure using power tools as darksiders gain pleasure using hand tools.
Brother Borer, I do it both ways......does that make me bi-somethingorother:confused: :D

Wood Borer
25th November 2005, 01:04 PM
Brother Termite,

This is quite normal for some but eventually your true preferences will shine through.

Does this condition only apply to woodwork?:eek:

Gumby
25th November 2005, 01:36 PM
Of course a bit of fun can be had laying it on those who do not share the same pleasures as myself but it is only ever fun.

Fun my bum ! It's personal !! :D :D :D

I drive a car, I choose not to walk.
I use the internet to relay messages, not a carrier pigeon.
I have ducted heating, I don't light fires in the loungeroom.
I watch TV, I don't sit around the radio all night.
I have a mobile phone, I don't rely on passing messages via others.
I have a lawn mower, I don't keep a cow in the yard.
I have a dishwasher, but I prefer to make my wife do them anyway :D :D

So why not use power tools ? ;)

I will never desert the light.:)

Pat
25th November 2005, 01:46 PM
Come to the Dark side Gumby, Darth Cohen and the rest of us, will guide you . . . Repent your sin of electron burning and grasp the tranquillity of the Dark Side . . . :D

Termite
25th November 2005, 03:05 PM
Brother Termite,Does this condition only apply to woodwork?:eek:
Most definitely yes yes yes.:D

ozwinner
25th November 2005, 03:51 PM

Me too
Although I must admit Ive had fun lately with some carving chisels, not that there is anything wrong with that?? :eek:

Al :D

Wood Borer
25th November 2005, 04:20 PM
Fun my bum ! It's personal !! :D :D :D

I drive a car, I choose not to walk.
I use the internet to relay messages, not a carrier pigeon.
I have ducted heating, I don't light fires in the loungeroom.
I watch TV, I don't sit around the radio all night.
I have a mobile phone, I don't rely on passing messages via others.
I have a lawn mower, I don't keep a cow in the yard.
I have a dishwasher, but I prefer to make my wife do them anyway :D :D

So why not use power tools ? ;)

I will never desert the light.:)

Gumby,

If changing to the darkside would make life more difficult for you, stay in the world of power tools.

Going to the darkside might make your hair grow though.:D

ozwinner
25th November 2005, 04:22 PM

Errrmmmm Rob,:o it seems errmm :o that ermmh:o well you know :o .

IT DONT WORK.......:eek:

Sturdee
25th November 2005, 04:28 PM
Brother Borer, I do it both ways......does that make me bi-somethingorother:confused: :D

Same as me. I use both hand and power tools. So I'm neither a dark sider or a light sider, but some one in the state of enlightenment.:p

Peter.

Sturdee
25th November 2005, 04:29 PM
Errrmmmm Rob,:o it seems errmm :o that ermmh:o well you know :o .

IT DONT WORK.......:eek:

Depends on where you want to grow it.:D

Peter.

ozwinner
25th November 2005, 04:32 PM
Ive noticed since I started to use hand tools that the hair on my palms grows at a faster rate.

Al :confused: :eek:

boban
25th November 2005, 04:34 PM
Well Wongo

I'll keep my eye on the buy and sell forum then. Supersaw, jointer and thicknesser all for sale soon people. Wongo is going to have to buy himself a scrub plane and a No.8 or whatever jointer plane. Oh and I almost forgot.... a nice handsaw.

BTW, you'll love screwing and nailing by hand....

The darkside my butt. You'll be burning those electrons forever and a day my friend.

echnidna
25th November 2005, 04:42 PM
Well Wongo

I'll keep my eye on the buy and sell forum then. Supersaw, jointer and thicknesser all for sale soon people. Wongo is going to have to buy himself a scrub plane and a No.8 or whatever jointer plane. Oh and I almost forgot.... a nice handsaw.

BTW, you'll love screwing and nailing by hand....

The darkside my butt. You'll be burning those electrons forever and a day my friend.

Hey Wongo (thanks for the prompt Boban)
Gotta deal for you
swap you a coupla stanleys#5 and #6 for your jointer and planer.
That should keep your darkside under control:D :D :D :D

Gumby
25th November 2005, 05:16 PM

Ouch ! I'm bruised. :(

Actually, if I thought you were right, I'd cross over. :D

mkemila
25th November 2005, 05:16 PM
As mush as I hate to admit it there is a darkside in me. I love using hand tools. I think it is traditional, it is more craftsmen like and most importantly it gives me satisfaction.

So WB your prayer has been answered.

I am feeling vulnerable right now. What should I tell you next? Maybe I like cats too.

Hang on I do like cats if you know what I mean.:D

Good night:)

Upon closer inspection of your photograph, it appears that the woodshavings were placed there ( the random pattern appears to be just a little too random) further if you look under the cabinet that is brazenly "displaying" your fine collection of wood planes you will notice the power tools appear to be hidden in boxes.

I have taken to going to estate auctions in the last year and have picked up a plethora (wack) of wood planes....nothing more satisfying than using a well tuned plane

Cheers

Gumby
25th November 2005, 05:18 PM
..nothing more satisfying than using a well tuned plane

Cheers

Obviously a married man. ;)

Termite
25th November 2005, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=mkemila].nothing more satisfying than using a well tuned plane/QUOTE]

Well there is but I can't go into it or will send me to the orange room.:eek: :D

mkemila
25th November 2005, 05:21 PM
[quote=mkemila].nothing more satisfying than using a well tuned plane/QUOTE]

Well there is but I can't go into it or will send me to the orange room.:eek: :D

BESIDES THAT! I think I was right about the staged photo though:rolleyes:

Termite
25th November 2005, 05:40 PM
[quote=Termite]

BESIDES THAT! I think I was right about the staged photo though:rolleyes:

I don't think our inscrutable oriental/aussie friend would stoop to that. :D Eat cats yes, but dummy up a darkside scenario, never. :eek:

mkemila
25th November 2005, 05:56 PM
[quote=mkemila]

I don't think our inscrutable oriental/aussie friend would stoop to that. :D Eat cats yes, but dummy up a darkside scenario, never. :eek:

Upon further inspection of the photograph they DO look like cat peelings as opposed to wood shavings!

Redback
25th November 2005, 05:57 PM
While I have taken some pleasure in using my Veritas smoothing plane, and its nice to cut some pieces with a handsaw....

I have ~ 21 metres of 80 * 40 recycled Jarrah to joint and thickness this weekend.

Its going to take me long enough getting them straight and down to size using the jointer and thicknesser....

I simply couldnt cope doing all that by hand. I also am not retired, therefore I have little time to do the multitude of projects, SWMBO, friends and relatives have queued up for me...

It takes me long enough to get stuff done burning electrons!!!. Dunno how you darksiders getanything done!

RB

Termite
25th November 2005, 06:01 PM
It takes me long enough to get stuff done burning electrons!!!. Dunno how you darksiders getanything done!

Great excuse when SWMBO says "why don't you ever make anything?"

ozwinner
25th November 2005, 06:02 PM
While I have taken some pleasure in using my Veritas smoothing plane, and its nice to cut some pieces with a handsaw....

I have ~ 21 metres of 80 * 40 recycled Jarrah to joint and thickness this weekend.

Its going to take me long enough getting them straight and down to size using the jointer and thicknesser....

I simply couldnt cope doing all that by hand. I also am not retired, therefore I have little time to do the multitude of projects, SWMBO, friends and relatives have queued up for me...

RB

I think they call it progress baby.......yeah..

Auld Bassoon
25th November 2005, 06:02 PM
Scott mate,

You are just a woodworker, albiet a more than competent one.

Darkside, lightside, who cares?

Is the journey more important than the destination?

Only you (and each one of us) can answer that.

Craig

Scott - I echo Craig on each point. Not a surprise though:)

Cheers

ozwinner
25th November 2005, 06:08 PM
Scott - I echo Craig on each point. Not a surprise though:)

Cheers

Huh?
You like cat too....

Auld Bassoon
25th November 2005, 06:44 PM
Huh?
You like cat too....

Fried!

boban
25th November 2005, 09:39 PM
I think they call it progress baby.......yeah..

So when are you going to get yourself a mixer Al. Or is there just something special about mixing mud in a barrow.....:D

Nothing quite like it....you are at one with the sand, cement, lime, bycol and water......the sixth element maybe.

GregLee
25th November 2005, 09:58 PM
I understand Wongo. I hate those hand tools too. As soon as I have a sharp plane in my hands I can't help but make a mess on the bench, the floor and everywhere in the shed. And that's just with long thin wood shavings. I think I'll have to get the waterstones out and sharpen something.

Imagine what it would be like if I had a bench as beautiful as yours... I have to make me one of those and finally retire the crappy Pine frame with MDF top to the tip.

Wongo
25th November 2005, 10:38 PM
Hey kids I didn’t say I went full time darkside did I? No. I a 2sider.:cool:

Btw it is great to see you again greglee:)

Shedhand
25th November 2005, 10:41 PM
If I buy a plane does that qualify me as a darksider (if I promise ti use it?):D

craigb
25th November 2005, 10:54 PM
If I buy a plane does that qualify me as a darksider (if I promise ti use it?):D

No that only qualifies you as a wannabe.

You have to spend hours tuning it to within an inch of its life, then spend further hours perfecting your sharpening technique until your blade is so sharp that you can literally shave with it.

Then and only then, may you take a shaving off a piece of wood. :p

If you are really tragic, you'll use your venier calipers to measure how thin you can get a continuous shaving.

My curent PB is 0.03 mm :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
25th November 2005, 10:56 PM
If you are really tragic, you'll use your venier calipers to measure how thin you can get a continuous shaving.

That's a bit poor Craig, I send mine off to the CSIRO for examination by electron microscope.

P (but we've been down this track before!)

:D :D :D

Shedhand
25th November 2005, 10:58 PM
No that only qualifies you as a wannabe.

You have to spend hours tuning it to within an inch of its life, then spend further hours perfecting your sharpening technique until your blade is so sharp that you can literally shave with it.

Then and only then, may you take a shaving off a piece of wood. :p

My curent PB is 0.03 mm :rolleyes: :rolleyes:Truly tragic mate.:cool: Maybe the light side IS better.

Wongo
25th November 2005, 11:09 PM
My curent PB is 0.03 mm :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

craig mate my pb is 0mm.:D

Shedhand
25th November 2005, 11:19 PM
craig mate my pb is 0mm.:D
What, did you forget to put the blade in mate? :D

ozwinner
26th November 2005, 07:38 AM
So when are you going to get yourself a mixer Al. Or is there just something special about mixing mud in a barrow.....:D

Nothing quite like it....you are at one with the sand, cement, lime, bycol and water......the sixth element maybe.

Thats why god gave us labourers. :D

Al :eek:

ellie
26th November 2005, 10:58 AM
:) :) I think there has been a lot of sniffing sawdust going on :D

AlexS
26th November 2005, 02:42 PM
Hey kids I didn’t say I went full time darkside did I? No. :)
Welcome to the twilight zone.:cool:

Termite
26th November 2005, 03:08 PM
:) :) I think there has been a lot of sniffing sawdust going on :D

Happens all the time here. :D SNORT. Haaaaaaa.