PDA

View Full Version : Thrust bearing for BAS450

CameronPotter
25th November 2005, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

I was checking out the guide bearing setup on my bandsaw and I noticed that the bottom set of guides had a normal bearing where a thrust bearing should go. I went to try and replace it today, but the bearing shop said that they couldn't get a thrust bearing of the size I wanted.

What is going on here? Is it meant to be a normal bearing? Do I need to order the part?

Cheers

Cam

Dan
25th November 2005, 02:08 PM
By normal do you mean a standard ball bearing?
If the aswer is yes then I believe that's what's usually used. You mat find a proper thrust bearing on larger or more expensive machines but I don't think I've seen any on standard 14" saws.

I noticed that the bottom set of guides had a normal bearing where a thrust bearing should go
What type of bearing is used on the top set of guides?

sailingamerican
25th November 2005, 02:34 PM
I don't have a thrust berring on my 14" Delta bandsaw but I do on my 20" Delta. I have a thrust on my Hitachi resaw but that is a $3000 saw. I think a regulare berring will work just fine. I have a berring supply house near me here in So CA. If you want I can give you a price. They are cheap and shipping will not be that much. I know there is a berring place in Sydney. My brother inlaw has a small machine shop and buys his berrings there. I can get the name for you . I will post him and E. and repost it to you when I get the reply. The net is a great place to look for anything. You can find it in Australia but I will be glad to help. Chris

CameronPotter
26th November 2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks fellas.

The saw is an 18" saw, so it is pretty heavy duty.

The top bearing is a large thrust bearing (about 2.5 inches across).

By normal, I did mean standard.

As for bearings, I went to a bearing shop down here and they are selling "Fag" brand bearings. They said they couldn't source a thrust bearing for a shaft any smaller than 12mm. My shaft is more like 6mm (although I haven't measured it accurately yet).

I also checked out a new BAS 505 bandsaw (the newer version of mine) and it had the big thrust bearing in the bottom guides rather than the top guides. I bought this second hand and maybe the guides are mixed up...

Hmmm.

Anyway, any more advice would be gladly received. As for your offer Sailingamerican, thanks, I might contact you once I have got around to measuring the shank.

Cheers

Cam

KevM
26th November 2005, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

I was checking out the guide bearing setup on my bandsaw and I noticed that the bottom set of guides had a normal bearing where a thrust bearing should go. I went to try and replace it today, but the bearing shop said that they couldn't get a thrust bearing of the size I wanted.

Cam,
Try WEBSTER Ltd

BEARING AND ENGINEERING SUPPLIES
11 Lampton Ave Derwent Park 7009
(03) 6271 3222

They can supply bearings that others don't seem to be able to get.

Kev M

CameronPotter
27th November 2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks Kev - will certainly check them out!

Cheers

Cam