PDA

View Full Version : Me Yellowtail

Daddles
25th November 2005, 02:44 PM
Seeing it's quiet, I thought I'd update you with my Yellowtail.

For those that don't know her, she's a 14' David Payne design based on a 1930's Sydney Harbour work boat.

The basic hull was built during a TAFE course - I bought that and have finally managed to undo all the lousy cleaning up and stuffups that happen during a TAFE course with a handful of boat building novices. Man has there been some work in that. :rolleyes:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowtail1.jpg
Front on view. Love that bow.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowtail2.jpg
Inside her - scene of most of the cleaning up. I also filleted every landing - just a small fillet to stop water pooling and to seal the end grain.
Here's a close up of that work, though it isn't too clear - the white stuff is the fillet of course.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowfillet.jpg

As you can see, side benches run down either side of her. I'm going to turn each of those compartments into a locker. The rear compartment will be sealed (apart from a locker for the fuel tank) as will the very front compartment. The wide compartment at the rear of the front bulkhead will be a locker as well.

The plans show a removable thwart at the rear of the centreboard case for rowing, but considering that there is a permanent brace across there anyway, I'm thinking I'll make the thwart permanent as well - but I'll make that decision as I start to fit out the inside.

She will have a small coach house and a gunter rig - well, that's what the plans say - my views on how she'll wind up change every day at the moment.

Here's the result of my latest efforts. Upside down of course - love those lines. Everything filleted and sanded ready for painting.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowupside.jpg

And, of course, a boat this size fills my available work space, so here is my solution - she rolls easily on those castors and makes it feel like I'm working in a huge shed.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowtrolley.jpg

Initially, I'll be launching her with an outboard fitted - central in the transom. She'll spend much of her life playing motorised fishing boat anyway, so that's the guise she'll hit the water in. I'll then get into the sailing bits and bobs - including trying to save up for them :eek:

Cheers
Richard

Tikki
25th November 2005, 03:11 PM
Cute ... what colour is she gunna be? Got a name yet?

Cheers
Tikki :)

Daddles
25th November 2005, 04:37 PM
G'day Tikki.

Cream/off white for the hull. The sheer strake will have two rubbing strips and the whole will either be bright, blue or a mix, depending on how I feel when I get there. The inside will be painted - probably the same as the hull.

No name as yet. I'm still looking and welcome suggestions (NOT THAT ONE STOPPERS:mad: ). The general principal is that 'cute has no place on a transon' and I WILL be doing a landing test - that's where you stand on a public landing and yell the name as loud as you can ... then see how silly you feel:D Something appropriate to my current situation in life would be good, though I've already considered and rejected 'Dammit' :(

Richard

Tikki
25th November 2005, 04:41 PM
Suggestion ... how 'bout "Not Happy Jan"? OK OK, I'm running :D :D :D :p

Outa here
Tikki :)

Christopha
25th November 2005, 05:16 PM
Something appropriate to my current situation in life would be good, though I've already considered and rejected 'Dammit' :(

Richard

Perhpas "ARGUSTUFT" might be appropriate then.....:D

Termite
25th November 2005, 05:25 PM
Ah yes, as Ratty said "There's nothing quite like mucking about in boats.":D

Auld Bassoon
25th November 2005, 06:52 PM
Fubar? :eek: :D :) :p

Cheers!

bitingmidge
25th November 2005, 07:06 PM
This is a boat thread and I have a compulsive requirement to reply.

How many boats does a bloke need anyway?

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Daddles
25th November 2005, 08:49 PM
This is a boat thread and I have a compulsive requirement to reply.

How many boats does a bloke need anyway?

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

I'm about halfway there Peter ... then I can start replacing the old ones:D

Richard

boban
25th November 2005, 09:21 PM
What about "LESSONS".

Looking at the boat, I cant wait for the holidays.

Daddles
27th November 2005, 12:26 PM
Sunday Morning. Latest progress - she's had three coats of epoxy now and is really looking nice.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowpoxy1.jpg

I love the way the Kapur has darkened up along the stem and keel. I'll be using that for the rubbing strips I reckon and will treat it the same way. Should look lovely.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowpoxy3.jpg

You can see the layers in the laminated stem. Pity I have to cover it with paint but not the white filler. This next shot shows the filler along the skeg - sorry boys, a lady doesn't go out showing her underwear.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/yellowpoxy2.jpg

Now all I have to do is ... **sob** a hell of a lot more http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/kosams/Webfishingclub/crybig.gif

Richard

graemet
27th November 2005, 01:49 PM
Richard,
I'm with you, David really produces a lovely set of lines. If you're going to love a lady, it really helps to boost your ego if everyone who sees you with her is envious.
Keep up the good work,
Cheers,
Graeme

Auld Bassoon
27th November 2005, 06:14 PM
A labour of love - and worth every minute of it by the look of her.

Tikki
27th November 2005, 08:19 PM
Looking good Rickie ;)

Daddles
18th March 2006, 07:30 PM
Been doing a Midge and ignoring the Yellowtail for a bit. Well, no more. She's been sanded, and sanded, and rubbed with rough sandpapery stuff, and the painting of her sweet bottom has begun.

First piccies.

No, I haven't gone mad, that's the primer and yellow is the raw colour of the primer. It's a two pack epoxy primer and, over the next few days, she will get a couple or three coats of white, two pack polyeurethane - all from the same company, yes, the primer is the one made for the top coat.

And, I believe she finally has a name. 'Sixpence' ... because it's costing buggerall to build **pause for hysterical laughter**

Richard

Daddles
20th March 2006, 02:35 PM
What was yellow is now WHITE.

Yup, the hull now has two coats of 2 pack polyurethane - Estagloss by name, and don't she look stunning ... apart from the parts that have orange peel finish (I'm a writer, not a f%$#@&* painter :( ). And, because I have to spray outside, in the wind, she's covered in little, black flies :rolleyes:

I may sand her smooth and give her another coat in the hope that the orange peel goes away or, by the time it's dried, it may have sorted itself out (the coat is only an hour old now) - hopeful sod aren't I.

Next, get her upright, fit the coachhouse and decking, the fit out the innards :D

Richard

bitingmidge
20th March 2006, 02:40 PM
(I'm a writer, not a f%$#@&* painter :( )

Nice to see some progress as always. I should be able to tell you after the coming weekend if I'm a painter as well!

It occurred to me yesterday that I presently have 32 feet of boat under construction, is there any wonder I'm so tired lately!

Cheers, and well done on getting her on her feet!

P

Zed
20th March 2006, 03:41 PM
I reckon you should call it "Mysogenist"

Daddles
20th March 2006, 04:34 PM
I reckon you should call it "Mysogenist"

Awwww, she'd have to hate herself then :D

Richard

Daddles
26th March 2006, 05:04 PM
Bloody spray painting. Should have daubed with a brush - at least I'd have an excuse for it looking bad.

The second coat of white, as mentioned above, featured some pretty bad orange peel finish. Depending on the light, it either looked frightful or all right. A bit of thinking about how it all came about had me convinced I'd had the spray droplets set too large. When you combine that with the fun and games of trying to spray a skeg (both the top and sides) without getting overspray on the rest of the boat, I wasn't surprised. And a boat's not a job where you can start at one corner and work through to the other end. So, after spraying the skeg, boths sides of the boat had overspray ... in bigish droplets. I'd then spray one side of the boat, then move around to the other, where these droplets had now started to set and when I poured more paint on top, well, the result was the very uneven coat of paint, which I then tried to even up by squirting more on. Funny how it didn't work.

Pah. I'm no flamin' spray painter (as those of you who are have realised by now) :(

Doing it out in full sunlight on a hot day probably help either :rolleyes:

Anyway, I decided she deserved a better effort than that, so I spent wednesday sanding her smooth ready to paint on thursday. Naturally, the first thing I did on getting out of bed on thursday was to strain a back muscle. Bobbing and weaving around a boat didn't sound like a good idea when you're having trouble getting out of a chair, so I decided to wait until friday. Oops, dinner time thursday night, I remember that my daughter had her sports day on friday. So friday was spent watching her play sport. That left saturday. Well, saturday was stinking hot so I passed on that and finally got to put the next coat on today ... sunday.

It was an overcast day, which I thought would be better than trying to spray white on white in full sunlight. Hah!

Whereas in full sunlight, I was able to bob and weave to bounce the light off the work and so see where I'd been, today I had no flamin' idea where the paint was going or what I'd done. Arrrrggggghhhh. I was spraying by guess basically and when you consider the above mentioned skill shortage ... the result could be regarded as patchy - I'm sure some bits only got overspray where others got done twice. The job's probably okay but there's no way it'll be an even gloss. I'll find out tomorrow when it's set. At least I was alert to getting the spray right - had a nice, light mist going today. I haven't gone looking for the dreaded orange peel but I reckon I got away with it this time as I didn't see it forming like I did last time. And because I was using a finer spray, I didn't use anywhere near as much paint, which would be nice only it's two pack and so will happily go off in the mixing pot - with the cost of this stuff, that's going to hurt.

Then I've got to work out how, with a two litre can of paint and one litre cans of hardener and thinners, and mixing using full measures of a throw away cup (two cups of colour to one cup of hardener ... plus the recommended one cup of thinners), how come I've still got a good load of colour left, a good load of thinners, and damn near NO hardener :confused:

If a job's worth doing, it's worth making a soap opera of it :rolleyes:

As I said, I'll wait until tomorrow before having a look to see how lousy the job is. I'm not going for showboat status and with the cost of the paint (I'm not buying any more if I can avoid it), will accept less than perfect ... as long as it's better than incompetent :cool:

But when you stand back so that you can't see the problems, she looks stunning :D and the bottom of the boat will be in the water anyway :D except when she's on a trailer and that don't count :D

Richard