PDA

View Full Version : Lathe for wheelchair user.

MWF FEED
1st February 2021, 05:51 AM
Hi there.

For the last few weeks I've been looking around for a lathe, around the size and functionality of a Colchester Student. I don't want a Colchester Student, it's just to give you an idea of size.

Because I sit in a wheelchair I need something I can take off the base and mount on a lower bench or frame. Personally I can't see why this can't be done with most lathes of this size, ironically one of the lathes you can't do this with is a Colchester Student!

I'd have to rework the coolant and possibly an electric box, but that's not difficult. The biggest problem is the foot brake, some have a belt from top to bottom, some only have a switch at ground level which would be a lot easier to re-engineer.

There doesn't appear to be a central database or list anywhere of lathe manufacturers let alone lathe models, so I'm asking around on a few forums for ideas. My experience is good, I'm in the UK and open to ideas, but I'm not at all considering the small 'benchtop' types, I need something larger.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks.

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=206227&goto=newpost)