PDA

View Full Version : coping of skirting boards

mudguts
25th November 2005, 08:51 PM
g'day all

could anyone recomend a power tool for the coping of skirting boards. I've been using a coping saw and it seems to be a bit more trickier than i first thought.

cheers:)

boban
25th November 2005, 09:10 PM
Use a combination of a mitre saw and coping saw. Cut the 45 then cut the shape you see.

Make sure your blade is sharp.

BTW are they Croat colours on that jockey?

mudguts
25th November 2005, 09:22 PM
That's exactly what i'm doing, it's just a pain in the **** oh well i guess my butt will be feeling it then.

BTW the horse is Makybe Diva and the colors are the australian flag

cheers!

boban
25th November 2005, 10:10 PM
BTW the horse is Makybe Diva and the colors are the australian flag

cheers!

If its makybe then Im sure that the only aussie part is the Southern Cross. Have a look at my avatar. Colours look familiar? Onya Tony.

With respect to the coping, if you have any straight cuts, such as on the bottom the skirting, then I cut it with the mitre saw and use the coping saw for the rest. BTW dont cut it perpendicular, cut it on a slight back angle except near the top where it will be seen. You get what I'm saying?

mudguts
25th November 2005, 11:19 PM
yeah i get what ur saying and thanx

just clicked that Santic is probably a croatian name hence the coulors.....nice get..

cheers

P.s. I;m a bit slow at t i m e s

seriph1
26th November 2005, 08:25 AM
I actually used a jigsaw, fitted with a thin metal-cutting blade - cut a slim piece of skirt as template, held it against the squared end of skirt, drew around it and cut - worked a treat and was fast - don't recall having a dud actually, which is rare for me. Mind you, this was for painted skirting boards, so a smear of filler was probably added - can't recall as it was 10 years ago...... but I do recall my builder mate thought well of the idea and used it.

markharrison
27th November 2005, 04:27 PM
It's not available here (AFAIK) but this is an interesting gizmo for this job:

http://www.speedcope.com/

I guess if you were doing this for a living or you had a whole house to do it might be worth buying. Otherwise it might give you an idea to cobble up your own.

Trav
28th November 2005, 10:58 AM
mudguts

How are you fixing the skirting boards to the wall? Just with nails or with glue as well? Comments from others are also welcome.

Trav

mudguts
28th November 2005, 07:09 PM
mudguts

How are you fixing the skirting boards to the wall? Just with nails or with glue as well? Comments from others are also welcome.

Trav

trav

using c type brads in finishing gun. Brought a cheapy as i don't do it for a living. GMC brand (everyone just went :( aarrrrrrgggg :( didn't they) but haven't had a problem yet works a charm. For $80 and replacement warranty i don't think you can go wrong.

cheers

Steve,

was going to try that and definetly will now.

cheers

scooter
28th November 2005, 11:53 PM
I have one of those Ozito 1/4" routers that can be taken out of the base & used as a die grinder.

Occurred to me you could try coping the skirting boards with a carving burr in this type of doovah.

Could be worth a try if you have the gear, or needed an excuse to buy another router :D

Another way could be an angle grinder with a carving disk like the arbortech (never used one, could be too aggressive) or one of those carbide chunk disks. Bit noisy but quick .

Otherwise, a decent jigsaw with a narrow blade would be the go I'd reckon.

Cheers...............Sean

Trav
29th November 2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks steve. I have a superchepa auto brad gun - I'll see how that goes.

Trav

mudguts
29th November 2005, 02:25 PM
Another way could be an angle grinder with a carving disk like the arbortech (never used one, could be too aggressive) or one of those carbide chunk disks. Bit noisy but quick .

Otherwise, a decent jigsaw with a narrow blade would be the go I'd reckon.

Cheers...............Sean

Scooter

I did try a 4" angle grinder, and you're right way btoo aggressive. Will give the jigsaw a go.

cheers guys.

P.s. The super cheap brad guns are a good buy work well.