PDA

View Full Version : Vale George Best

maglite
26th November 2005, 01:30 AM
Vale to arguably the best player to not have played in a World Cup.
Imagine what might have happened had he chose to play for England rather than Northern Ireland.

ozwinner
26th November 2005, 07:45 AM
Vale to arguably the best player to not have played in a World Cup.
Imagine what might have happened had he chose to play for England rather than Northern Ireland.

I dont think playing for Northen Ireland was his problem.

Al :eek:

bitingmidge
26th November 2005, 10:31 PM
I dont think playing for Northen Ireland was his problem.

No, playing was.

P

:cool:

AlexS
27th November 2005, 10:23 PM
Liked his line about having spent a fortune on cars, women and drink...and the rest he just wasted.

craigb
27th November 2005, 10:38 PM
Or that story where the journo went to interview him in his hotel room and found him sipping champagne with two barely clad beautiful women whilst his bed was strewn with hundred pounds notes.

Of course the journo's question was "So tell me George, where did it all go wrong?" :rolleyes:

Driver
28th November 2005, 09:54 AM
Bobby Charlton tells a good story about George's tendency to hog the ball.

Charlton passes to George and runs on to receive the return "wall pass". He doesn't get it because Best has taken on and beaten two defenders. Then he loses the ball.

Charlton points out that he was ready for the return.

It happens again two minutes later. Charlton passes, runs on. Best hogs the ball, beats two defenders, loses the ball in the third tackle.

Charlton yells at him.

Two minutes later, Charlton passes, runs on. Again Best hogs the ball, beats two defenders. A third runs in to tackle him.

Bobby Charlton: "Aw, for ****'s sake, George! Oh. Great goal, son!"

I have been a Liverpool supporter for as long as I can remember and Manchester United were always the enemy but I count it a privilege to have seen George Best at his prime. He was the Best!

For those people who wonder why it's called the beautiful game, have a good look at some of the clips that are being shown on TV of George Best performing his magic. The man was a genius with a football.

bennylaird
28th November 2005, 11:30 AM
Do we blindly remember the good parts or should we consider the full life?

So many greats finish up the same way? Fame too much for them?