PDA

View Full Version : Dinning Table

Muddy
27th November 2005, 09:41 AM
Hi all this is my first thread so be gental.
I'm an apprentice sawdust maker and need help.
I have been asked to make a ten seat dinning table:eek: HELP!
any and all help would be greatly welcomed.

Tex B
27th November 2005, 09:52 AM
Google wood dining table plans (no double n in dining) and you'll get links to a lot of plans for sale reasonably cheap and some free. But more important, you'll get a look at a dozen or more dining tables designed for amateur woodworkers like you and me. You can get a feel for what you want it to look like, and how much you're prepared to spend on timber, and what tools and skills are required.

Tex

dazzler
27th November 2005, 10:05 AM
Hi Muddy

We would need more info on what tools you have.

If you only have very basic tools then I would suggest the following.

Go to your nearest furniture place and measure up a table that is similar to what you want. I reckon 2400 x 1200 might be okay.

I would use tassie oak, strong, available from local hardware places and finishes well with an oil finish.

I would use 70mm square legs, 110 x 38mm rails, and use a sheet of veneered MDF for the top. this should be 2440 x 1220mm and should cost about $150. Edge the top with 19mm x 3mm tassie oak edging glued on.

Join the legs to the rails using the beadlock tenoning jig.
Join the mdf top with biscuit joints which will really strengthen it up.
brace 300mm in from each corner diagonally with some of the 110 x 38 rail leftovers.

to add some style to the legs you could relieve the edges with a small handplane (mujifang) or even take them to a carpentry place and get them to put a taper on the inside edges.

So the cutting list would be;

4 off 70 x 70 x 900 legs

2 off 110 x 38 x 2400 side rails

2 off 110 x 38 x 1200 end rails

1 off 2440 x 1220 mdf veneered sheet for top

3 off 19 x 3 x 2700 edging

1 x gmc biscuit jointer
1 x gmc drop saw
1 x beadlock tenon system

Finish the lot using tung oil burnished with an orbital sander for a nice finish.

good luck

dazzler

aabb
27th November 2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Muddy

1 x beadlock tenon system

dazzler

Good advise dazzler but what is a beadlock tenon system

Lignum
27th November 2005, 11:16 AM
Good advice given, but on a table of 2400, 70mm sq legs would be to light especially if you taper them. 85 X 85 would be more ballanced, and as its harder to get good clean stock that thick you would have to laminate 2 or 3 together. And 1200 is way to wide for a table. 1050 - 1100 is plenty and far more ballanced.

And as iv never used a beadlock, they do look good, but biscuits, dowells, tennons will all do, BUT epoxy heafty corner blocks in, and it dosnt matter what join u use it will be strong enough:)

dazzler
27th November 2005, 11:32 AM
Try here;

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/beadlock.htm

Dont forget we are trying to seat 10 people;) here.

dazzler

Lignum
27th November 2005, 12:03 PM
A ten seater is 4 each side and one at each end. If the legs are on the ends it can be a squeez, with over hang and leg thicknes you loose minimun 200mm, that gives 550mm per person, wich is a bit tight. So maybe a type of trestle/ refectory design should be looked into.

And the width of 1200 apart from looking way out of proportion is also to wide for one person. My prefered sizes are 1500 x 850. 1800 x 950. 2100 x 1000. 2400 x 1050. 2700 X 1100

Im not sure why Daz stated 4 x 900 for the legs. Tables are around the 750 mark dependidng on the persons using it. A timber yard will have something just over 3mt where you will get 4 x 730 comfortably.:)

Muddy
27th November 2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks to all for your comments.
I am tending towards 6 legs and maybe using KD Vic Ash floor boards for the top. The interesting thing is do I purchase legs or turn them on the lathe.

markharrison
27th November 2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks to all for your comments.
I am tending towards 6 legs and maybe using KD Vic Ash floor boards for the top. The interesting thing is do I purchase legs or turn them on the lathe.

There is no need for six legs. It will needlessly add to the cost.

Another thing to consider is that a genuine ten seat dining table is very big and may not fit in every house. In fact, you might not even be able to physically manouevre that size table into every house. It certainly would not get into my house in one piece. My antique ten place has three extensions. Two large and one small. When it is collapsed it can easily be manouevred up the stairs to the living area.

I would recommend to the client that they opt for an extension dining table even though this will cost more up front.

aussiecolector
27th November 2005, 04:37 PM
6 legs could also make the table rock if floor not dead level.
Could also concider putting it on tresils if getting it in the house is a problem.

dazzler
27th November 2005, 05:35 PM
Im not sure why Daz stated 4 x 900 for the legs. Tables are around the 750 mark dependidng on the persons using it:)

:rolleyes: should have added cut them to length depending on the height of your chairs. DOH:D