PDA

View Full Version : Morris Chair

j.stevens
27th November 2005, 07:41 PM
Hope you foks like my just completed Morris chair courtesy of Australian Woodsmith magazine. Took me around 9 weeks part time so probably 80 or so hours. Used Tasmanian Oak with a light teak stain followed by five coats of brushed on Danish Oil. SWMBO made the cushions, soa real joint effort. I've decided to keep her on!
The hardware for the seat webbing etc came from J. James in Sydney. Has anyone else tried this project? Did have some fun trying to get the bend in the arm ends.

Rocker
27th November 2005, 08:20 PM
Looks good; but where is its pair?

Rocker

ernknot
27th November 2005, 08:23 PM
Terrific job, looks real good. I guess you are making one for yourself?

Tex B
27th November 2005, 08:27 PM
Great job, looks beaut. Should last many decades.

Tex

ozwinner
27th November 2005, 08:28 PM
Beaut job on the chair and feet seat.

Al :)

Blackers
27th November 2005, 08:42 PM
great looking chair mate, I love those types of chairs, I have the plan that you worked from, just another project to add to the list.

Peter36
27th November 2005, 09:31 PM
Great looking chair and looks as though it should last for generations to come . Does SWMBO let you sit in it ?:D
Peter

zenwood
27th November 2005, 10:26 PM
Wow: I love it. The design is great, and the teak stain on the tassie oak produces a very nice golden colour. Lots of M&Ts I imagine...?

How did you do the bend in the arms?

MarpleMan
28th November 2005, 09:28 AM
Great job. Am thinking of using same plans. Did you make any modifications? What was the cost involved?

Shedhand
28th November 2005, 11:21 AM
Fantastic...not letting the missus see it. she'll want one and I got too many other plans at the mo.:D

Dust Mite
28th November 2005, 06:52 PM
I plan on doing two of these, and may do the footstools as well althought SWMBO prefers the cushion topped ottomans I made.

The cushion covers will be a dark jade/forest green color.

Abit like this, but a tad darker.

The wood will be Macrocarpa with wattyl kauri stain or a medium teak, not sure yet, and most likely semigloss lacquer to finish althought it might just be satin estapol if I cant find a good lacquer.

As soon as I saw the plan in the mag I knew it was just one of those must do projects.:D

I also liked the look of the futon plan in a previous edition, has the same styling so would fit well.

One very important question. Are they comfy to sit in for watching the telly or snoozing?

Oh and by the way J.S bloody nice job !!!

Auld Bassoon
28th November 2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Mr J!

Excellent work, seems to look just like the magazine item:p

So, if that's your chair, where's SWMBO's?

Cheers!

Harry72
28th November 2005, 09:29 PM
Very nice JS well done.

j.stevens
29th November 2005, 08:02 AM
Great job. Am thinking of using same plans. Did you make any modifications? What was the cost involved?
The only modification I made was the thickness of the arms. The plan called for 25mm but found it easier to fine 19mm and I don't think it detracted from the overall effect. It did mean reducing the diamater of the adjustment pins which I made myself as per the instructions in AWM.
Cost $A237 Foam for the seat and stool cushions and underlay was $86
plus the material from 'Spotlight I think about $36 - I generously allowed SWMBO pay for that. And this all $A you folks in Tasmanian can convert that into Tasmanian $'s of course! Woops!

Appreciate the compliments from all.

j.stevens
29th November 2005, 08:03 AM
Great job. Am thinking of using same plans. Did you make any modifications? What was the cost involved? The only modification I made was the thickness of the arms. The plan called for 25mm but found it easier to fine 19mm and I don't think it detracted from the overall effect. It did mean reducing the diamater of the adjustment pins which I made myself as per the instructions in AWM.
Cost $A237 Foam for the seat and stool cushions and underlay was $86
plus the material from 'Spotlight I think about $36 - I generously allowed SWMBO pay for that. And this all $A you folks in Tasmanian can convert that into Tasmanian $'s of course! Woops!

Appreciate the compliments from all.

Trav
29th November 2005, 09:15 AM
Nice work JS. I like it a lot. How many M&Ts?

TP