PDA

View Full Version : Dimmer Switch Buzz

gsouth
27th November 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi all,

I put a dimmer switch on a single light in our 'bub to be' room so my wife can have the light on low when up feeding (ah so much to look forward to)

My question is: the dimmer switch itself emits a buzzing sound - quite noticable...

The dimmer was rated at 300VA.
Any ideas as this buzzing will be anoying in the quiet of the night

Cheers
Geoff

soundman
27th November 2005, 10:17 PM
Yep dimmers buzz.
partricularly down in the lower part of their range.
How old is the dimmer mechanism. some of the new ctick compliant dimmers may be better.
What brand is the mechanism.
some brands and some individula mec's may be better.
Could you simply put a small pilot globe in a table lamp?

cheers

aussiecolector
27th November 2005, 10:18 PM
Hi all,

I put a dimmer switch on a single light in our 'bub to be' room so my wife can have the light on low when up feeding (ah so much to look forward to)

My question is: the dimmer switch itself emits a buzzing sound - quite noticable...

The dimmer was rated at 300VA.
Any ideas as this buzzing will be anoying in the quiet of the night

Cheers
Geoff

Mine does too when it is turned down low.

gsouth
27th November 2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the quick replies:

Mechanism is HPM - bought yesterday - so brand new.
Buzzes at all positions through the range - not just down low.
Buzzing doesn't get worse the lower you go - it appears to be pretty constant.
Can go for a table lamp but the power point isn't in a convenient location, so this was going to be the solution :-)

Cheers
Geoff

DavidG
27th November 2005, 11:02 PM
Return it as faulty.
Get another.

PuppyPaw
30th November 2005, 12:10 AM
What about a remote controlled lamp?? :-D
I just got this plugin dimmers that uses a remote (that you purchase seperatly) to dim the lamp.
They are actually really good.
For the lazy person in all of us I recommend them.
You can pick them up at bunnings in the electricals right near where you got the dimmer switch.

Otherwise replace the dimmer switch because it really shouldn't buz when on full brightness, we have them on all of our bedrooms and lounge room and they don't buzz at all, I couldn't tell you the brand but I know you can get them!

Trav
30th November 2005, 01:46 PM
I was at bunnings the other day and picked up a light globe that automatically dims. Beleive it or not.

Its a bayonet fix, looks pretty much like a normal globe. Stick it in a normal light fitting.

When you switch it on, it comes on at full brightness. Switch it off then on again quickly, and it dims. Repeat step 1 and it dims a few more times.

Pretty cool I thought. And for $2 they seem ok. I can't comment on the longevity of it though.

We bought it for a nursery but won't use it there in the end simply because it comes on at full brightness. It would be better if it came on dim, then brightened up.

May be worth a look through.

They also had one that automatically turns off after 12 mins.

Trav

Bodgy
30th November 2005, 01:57 PM
Dimmers don't last either. I've replaced the dimmer component of all the switches at least three times in the first 8 years we lived in the house. Gave up after that

Redgy
30th November 2005, 02:47 PM
Take it back, go to Auslec or MM Electrical wholesalers & buy a Clipsal one. It may still buzz a bit at low settings but IMHO will be better than HPM.

Reg

Wildman
30th November 2005, 03:15 PM
Clipsal would be my suggestion too, I have Clipsals in 4 rooms and all are slient. I got trailing edge dimmers though not leading edge dimmers which cost more but are required for most electronic transformers on downlights. (some newer electronics are dimmable with leading edge) They are also fine for normal lights and iron transformers.
There are some on ebay at the moment for $19.99 for the dimmer only, http://stores.ebay.com.au/aborama5_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm (I have no affiliation with this ebay store)

In my last house, I had the downlight filaments themselves humming when dimmed, the dimmer switches were fine though. My mothers house has every dimmer buzzing though, she is half deaf and cant hear it.

Cheers
Ben