PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Round Table Jabber - Sunday evening all welcome

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Aussiephil
11th March 2021, 05:49 PM
Hi all,

With some members having less time on a Friday to catch up for the Friday Prattle https://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/friday-lunch-prattle-234530 at lunchtimes it was thought to be a good idea to kick off a Sunday catchup as well.

So for the Sunday catchup we will be trying out the Skype Meet Now option. It has similar functionality to zoom but has now time limit so if people want to jabber on they can but the primary time will be 7:30PM to 8:30PM NSW/ACT/Vic/Tas time, QLD will be an hour earlier for a few more weeks with SA 30minutes earlier and WA 2hrs/3hrs

We know that these times won't suit all but it seems a reasonable compromise.

Simplicity (Matt) has put his hand up to be the general custodian for the Sunday Round Table Jabber .... thanks Matt

So how do I join in? Glad you asked.....

Meeting link : https://join.skype.com/u73k1kv4B1UL (you can join as a guest)

Clicking on the link will take you to a webpage that will ask if you want to open in Skype, you can do that or just cancel and join as a Guest direct from the web page.
depending on your browser setting you should get a pop up asking to use your mic and speakers, please allow.
Then click join meeting and be patient as it seems to take a few seconds... feels like forever

Time 7:30PM NSW time to 8:30

Over to Matt for this week's topic

Cheers
Phil

doug3030
11th March 2021, 06:15 PM
So --- now I need to deal with Skype as well :rolleyes:

Aussiephil
11th March 2021, 06:20 PM
So --- now I need to deal with Skype as well :rolleyes:

Well at least a browser :) the lack of a time limit is either a major benefit worth the pain or the worst decision ever made :)

:)

Simplicity
11th March 2021, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

With some members having less time on a Friday to catch up for the Friday Prattle https://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/friday-lunch-prattle-234530 at lunchtimes it was thought to be a good idea to kick off a Sunday catchup as well.

So for the Sunday catchup we will be trying out the Skype Meet Now option. It has similar functionality to zoom but has now time limit so if people want to jabber on they can but the primary time will be 7:30PM to 8:30PM NSW/ACT/Vic/Tas time, QLD will be an hour earlier for a few more weeks with SA 30minutes earlier and WA 2hrs/3hrs

We know that these times won't suit all but it seems a reasonable compromise.

Simplicity (Matt) has put his hand up to be the general custodian for the Sunday Round Table Jabber .... thanks Matt

So how do I join in? Glad you asked.....

Clicking on the link will take you to a webpage that will ask if you want to open in Skype, you can do that or just cancel and join as a Guest direct from the web page.
depending on your browser setting you should get a pop up asking to use your mic and speakers, please allow.
Then click join meeting and be patient as it seems to take a few seconds... feels like forever

Time 7:30PM NSW time to 8:30

Over to Matt for this week's topic

Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil,
And thanks also for taking the time to set this all up two thumbs up.

As Phil mentioned ,this is basically the same as the Friday Prattle,
Except you can talk as long as you want, well actually there is a 24 hour time limit, but[emoji6].

The other thing we “may” if people’ want, is have participants hop on the virtual Soap box, and give us a talk on your specialty subject (loosely involved around wood work ,sort of please ).

Ie, Phil said he may give one on 3D printing,
I may give one on how to overly complicate a project, I’m actually getting very good at that.

Paige could give one on saws with motors attached.
I think you get the idea.

So yes basically that is it, I will only be considering my self in the role as Custodian very loosely, this is for everyone.
And thanks again Phil[emoji120][emoji120].

Cheers Matt.
Ps I’m very, very ,very new to Skype too, to the point that Phil and I were having issues with Skype not sinking with a certain sensor light last night.[emoji6]

Simplicity
14th March 2021, 05:39 PM
SundayRound table Jabber.

Is on tonight at 7.30 pm, all welcome.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
14th March 2021, 08:45 PM
I think we can call the first night a success.

I got on early around 7:10 to see if I could work out Skype and found Yvan and Pagie just finishing up a chat they had been on for half an hour.

They both left and Matt came on about 7:20. we chatted for a while and Phil joined us.

The main topic for the night was a very informative and informal impromptu presentation by Phil on making a bellmouth housing on his 3D printer.

We wound up at about 8:40.

Looking forward to next week.

Colin62
14th March 2021, 08:57 PM
I’m hoping to be able to join one of these weeks - the time zones work better than the Friday one. Just had guests around this weekend so wasn’t able to sign in.

Aussiephil
14th March 2021, 11:14 PM
I’m hoping to be able to join one of these weeks - the time zones work better than the Friday one. Just had guests around this weekend so wasn’t able to sign in.

My quick back of the envelope and dr google tells me this would be mid morning for you, hope you do get to drop in

Cheers
Phil

Aussiephil
14th March 2021, 11:29 PM

I got on early around 7:10 to see if I could work out Skype and found Yvan and Pagie just finishing up a chat they had been on for half an hour.

They both left and Matt came on about 7:20. we chatted for a while and Phil joined us.

The main topic for the night was a very informative and informal impromptu presentation by Phil on making a bellmouth housing on his 3D printer.

I'd gone out with the mrs about 7pm to get milk and some healthy dinner called Kingsleys .... the wait at the closest one was diabolical so a quick 5 minutes down the road the other one wasn't so busy but only got me back in the house by 7:35, chips on the plate and checked in with Matt and Doug, sorry to have missed Pagie and Yvan... wanted to know if Pagie caught some fish.

I did give an impromptu session on using Fusion 360 to design a simple bellmouth air intake and then exporting it to the 3D printer slicing software along with showing the print animation of how it would print, some interesting discussion took place on the potential efficiency of the design.

What was surprising was just how fast the time went.

The only technical hiccup seemed to be that grid view of people wasn't working via google chrome web browser but seemed fine on the widows skype client, no issues with audio. We might try Edge next week and test it out.

yvan
15th March 2021, 08:01 AM

I'm losing the plot...! Somehow I read that it would start at 6.30pm hence my early appearance!
In fact, I think I've lost it!!!

Cheers,
Yvan

Simplicity
15th March 2021, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, last night was the first an lots more to come,

So some suggestions for conversation or a specific subject to be discussed at the Sunday night round table jabber.An I would love to hear other suggestions.
An if anyone wants to lead the night with there specialty subject let us know either hear or PM me.

Table saw or Bandsaw you can only have one?
Water stones or oil stones !!!!!
Handmade Hand planes are all Junk ?
Handsaw terminology with the sharpening bit.
Hide glue is it worth the odour?.
Why is Pen-turning so addictive?
Should I tell my partner what I really pay for my toys?.
Metal is just very hard timber!!
Bevel up or bevel down planes?
Dovetail joints or screws?
Veneering is just grown up cut and pasting.
Should I sand till 320 grit or 5000 grit before applying Boiled Linseed oil.
French polishing is so old fashioned, literally.
If you don’t have a chainsaw your not really a woodworker.
Will I have any comrades on the Forum in 24 hours time.
Hand tools rule over power tools.
Power tools rule.
Should all wood work machines be variable speed.
Dust extraction just sucks
Huon pine is for chimps.

Cheers Matt.
Currently waiting for the first flight out of Australia[emoji6].

Colin62
15th March 2021, 11:37 PM
My quick back of the envelope and dr google tells me this would be mid morning for you, hope you do get to drop in

Cheers
Phil
Yes, it’s 10:30 over here. It’ll be weird - in my head you guys all talk normally, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be the only one with no accent. :wink:

Aussiephil
15th March 2021, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, last night was the first an lots more to come,

Currently waiting for the first flight out of Australia[emoji6].

Ok since your on the way out of the country i'll pinch one or more for quick prattle topics on a Friday :)

Maybe you could add in "is 4 inches big enough or do you need 6 inches?"

Maybe i'll need to leave as well :)

Simplicity
16th March 2021, 07:51 AM
Ok since your on the way out of the country i'll pinch one or more for quick prattle topics on a Friday :)

Maybe you could add in "is 4 inches big enough or do you need 6 inches?"

Maybe i'll need to leave as well :)

Is the imperial system of measurement just for old men,
That could be another subject[emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
19th March 2021, 08:10 PM
Just a friendly reminder for Sunday round table jabber thingy.

All welcome, BYO drinks Alcoholic or non alcoholic your choice.

Start time 7.30 pm ish.

I won’t suggest a Theme this Sunday, reason being I will be sitting in a hotel in Naracoorte SA Sunday evening hopefully there will be decent reception [emoji6](attending a Funeral Monday).

But saying that if anyone wants to jump up an host the evening, go for it.
There is a list of suggestions above, or you may have your own,

Cheers Matt.

I

Bushmiller
20th March 2021, 12:55 PM
I am looking forward to my first visit on the Sunday Round Table Jabber. Unfortunately it won't be this week because of my shifts. Also I am frantically altering the shape of my office table so it will conform to the requirements.

Be sure to post some details of the meeting as I will look in later on during the night to see how things went.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
20th March 2021, 04:33 PM
I am looking forward to my first visit on the Sunday Round Table Jabber. Unfortunately it won't be this week because of my shifts. Also I am frantically altering the shape of my office table so it will conform to the requirements.

Be sure to post some details of the meeting as I will look in later on during the night to see how things went.

Regards
Paul

We are also looking forward to your very first visit Paul, would you like some Red Carpet rolled out, or something more devious?.
Would you like to hold court that evening?

Cheers Matt.

Aussiephil
21st March 2021, 07:36 PM
Seeming to be very quiet tonight, I've definitely arrived to find all my mates :) :(

Simplicity
21st March 2021, 09:43 PM
Well it seems tonight’s Round table started quietly,but by the time I arrived there was two, then three of us plus, one who just stuck is head in had a look around, an will hopefully be back next Sunday.

Tonight was just a few pleasant small chitchats.
Thanks to everyone who joined in.

Cheers Matt.

Aussiephil
21st March 2021, 10:24 PM
it was very quiet for a bit then Doug joined in and we ended up speaking about Anvils and I learnt that they are more varied than just a bit of heavy metal you bang things on... time to read some more then we had a few more join in as Matt said. Picko dropped in without mic or camera and just listened to the jabber, hope we didn't scare you away :)

Have a great week everyone and best wishes to the rain affected areas and members.

Cheers
Phil

Simplicity
27th March 2021, 09:50 AM
Sunday Round table jabber,

Is on again, yep is it just me or do the weeks feel like they are getting shorter.

This week’s topic, Hand tool storage, do you store your Hand tools on your bench in complete shambles,are they meticulous stored in purpose build drawers,are you a nail in the wall individual, or my personal favourite at present Peg board.

All welcome, start time is a strict 7.30 ish give or take a bit either side up too you.

Please beware these chit chats have a way of being very relaxing nice and not always sticking to the subject matter.
An is a BYO event we are not licensed yet but I’m working on it !!!

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
28th March 2021, 07:05 PM
I am hoping to be there, but will be late to the party as I won't be home until just after 7pm (8pm NSW time).

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
28th March 2021, 09:32 PM
Another delightful evening spent learning the virtues of what equates to a modern 2021 workshop.

We had numbers running from 1 being the number after 0 too 6 being 1 times 6 at the peak, with some chat and banter on, you guessed it power saws mainly the ones that run with either two strokes or four(Keep it clean [emoji854]).
Studdly was mentioned and Phil had is five minutes on a non 3D printed soap box.

So all in all a very enjoyable hour or so,Doug stop pushing buttons please [emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

justonething
29th March 2021, 09:57 AM
Apologies
I tried to be there, but couldn't hear you guys after I tried to speak.
will try again another week
glad you were having fun.

Bushmiller
29th March 2021, 02:56 PM
I lost visual, but still had audio. When I mentioned this to SWMBO she suggested I had turned of the camera. Possible, but not intentional. Perhaps JOT you did the same with the audio.

:shrug:

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
29th March 2021, 11:02 PM
Another delightful evening spent learning the virtues of what equates to a modern 2021 workshop.

We had numbers running from 1 being the number after 0 too 6 being 1 times 6 at the peak, with some chat and banter on, you guessed it power saws mainly the ones that run with either two strokes or four(Keep it clean [emoji854]).
Studdly was mentioned and Phil had is five minutes on a non 3D printed soap box.

So all in all a very enjoyable hour or so,Doug stop pushing buttons please [emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

and the meeting participants will love this....... for context the soapy box was about not really needing a hand plane...

here was me tonight, unclamping the partially glued up new mailbox and then grabbing a 1" chisel, actually even sharp, and using it as a makeshift device to plane a couple of the joints.... D'oh

Simplicity
30th March 2021, 06:59 AM
I think Phil, is starting to feel the pull(well push acutely, tho it could be pull if he’s go Japaneseiy) of the dark side, resistance is futile🥸.

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
2nd April 2021, 05:48 PM
This Sunday is that time of the week, were some of us, swear at computers and iPhones, and wish for a simpler life.

Yes folks at 7.30pm this coming Sunday(4 of April 7.30 pm)evening,it is swear at Skype time.
How very exciting [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]🥸.

I’m let to believe some clocks need adjusting in Australian sometime this weekend, I won’t advise on this, due to not knowing what I’m talking about.

All welcome, tho ,you really should keep the naughty words to yourself , as some members may be offended by the naughty words.

BUT ALL WELCOME

I’m working on a suggested topic to loosely follow this week, and I will announce that approximately 7 and half minutes before we start on Sunday, that way insuring we have a lively discussion.
Tho ,all suggestions are welcome prior of course.

Cheers Matt.

Aussiephil
2nd April 2021, 09:00 PM
Here’s the link for Sunday

Simplicity
4th April 2021, 11:56 AM
Just a heads up I have double booked my self tonight [emoji17].

So I will be joining in later,
But the show must go on, so please start without me, not that I think anyone would wait[emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
10th April 2021, 08:50 PM
Tomorrow night is Sunday Round table chapper

All welcome again.

Will call this Hand tool discussion for tomorrow night.

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
11th April 2021, 06:38 PM
Hope everyone is getting there Skype stuffed sorted out for tonight.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
11th April 2021, 08:40 PM
I got to log in a little late, but there was nobody there when I did. I left the app running while I was posting on the Forum. I heard a noise and Pagie was there, but there was also background noise and I could not hear him, although I could see he was speaking. I don't know if he was having the same trouble as me.

Not to worry: There will be another day.

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
11th April 2021, 08:46 PM
I got to log in a little late, but there was nobody there when I did. I left the app running while I was posting on the Forum. I heard a noise and Pagie was there, but there was also background noise and I could not hear him, although I could see he was speaking. I don't know if he was having the same trouble as me.

Not to worry: There will be another day.

Regards
Paul

We are live now.... from 7:30pm AEST same all down the east coast

Aussiephil
11th April 2021, 09:34 PM
3D printed Bow Saw

Bow Sander by camvo - Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3117781)

Bushmiller
11th April 2021, 10:03 PM
Once I realised you had returned from daylight saving I was there!

This is the McFarlane bow sander.

MacFarlane Bowsander - Dunstone Design (https://www.dunstonedesign.com.au/product/macfarlane-bowsander/)

It was designed primarily for the curved components of chairs so it works very well on saw handles for example (and plane handles), It allows you to place the work in a vice and use both hands for operating the sander.

I will liaise with Phil.

Regards
Paul

doug3030
11th April 2021, 10:08 PM
Here is a link to the Foredom power carving tools I was talking about tonight

CWS Store - Foredom Power Carving Tools (https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/-foredom-power-carving-tools)

Simplicity
12th April 2021, 08:11 AM
Another Sunday Jabber done, for those concerned, chainsaws were spoken about on no less then tree occasions.
But we did also attempt to stick to the proposed topic of Hand tools, even if some participants “new”hand tools were missing bits.
Also thank you Julies for once again being the overseer,[emoji6]

An announcement!!!!!!!

Paul AKA Bushmillar after much prodding, threads of fingers severed, an his wife being told the full worth of his massive Simions saw collection.
Thought he might like to give us Talk on the history of Simionds Saws, so stay tuned ,Thank you Paul.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
12th April 2021, 04:26 PM
Paul AKA Bushmillar after much prodding, threads of fingers severed, an his wife being told the full worth of his massive Simions saw collection.
Thought he might like to give us Talk on the history of Simionds Saws, so stay tuned

Cheers Matt.

Ok. If that is truly what you wish. I am starting to sound like "Lucifer."

I will have to work on some prompt cards. :)

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
12th April 2021, 05:44 PM
Ok. If that is truly what you wish. I am starting to sound like "Lucifer."

I will have to work on some prompt cards. :)

Regards
Paul

A review of Monty python may help.[emoji6]

Simplicity
16th April 2021, 07:47 PM
Sunday round Jabber,

Is on once again this Sunday, we seem to be getting a consistent group turning up, which is quite nice an cozy.
But we are also open to receiving some fresh meat, sorry mean other members.
So don’t be shy, we are all mostly harmless middle aged slightly opinionated, occasionally, but very friendly and mostly harmless.
An easily distracted by mostly anything, so I hope I’m painting a positive picture.

I’m feeling slightly under the weather(No didn’t get drunk).
So I will leave it up to you guys to post a Topic suggestion for Sunday’s Jabber(18 of April 7.30 EST)

Note point Paul(you know who you are)just have a family member read this so your ready at 7.30 ish.[emoji6]

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
17th April 2021, 06:06 PM
Note point Paul(you know who you are)just have a family member read this so your ready at 7.30 ish.[emoji6]

Cheers Matt.

Should be home from work by then: Just.

Regards
Anonymous

Simplicity
17th April 2021, 09:14 PM
Paul we look forward to seeing you Sunday night, and your friend anonymous.

Cheers Someone[emoji6].

Aussiephil
21st April 2021, 10:45 PM
Sorry i missed last Sunday but was exhausted after a couple of days of working on the main bathroom fixing the shower, basic re-grout and reseal it all.

Going back two weeks though and the bow-saw sander I got some spare time on the 3D printer

The wood is a little bit narrow but it was all i found that was close in thickness in the scrap pile tonight, to cold to actually think about machining a proper piece up

Well it actually works, no sign of flex in the printed handles, the wedge seems solid enough.

Couple of design changes will make it better though.
- make the insert slot for the sand paper deeper (ie longer)
- make the wedge both thicker and longer so it can be grabbed from the edges.
- round the handle some more to make a more ergonomic grip
- and for adaptability to different wood bows, make the hole larger but then do inserts for thinner or narrower bits of timber.

anyway it does work :)

Simplicity
22nd April 2021, 09:55 AM
Phil,
That’s very impressive,what are the dimensions on that?

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
22nd April 2021, 10:23 AM
Phil

That's amazing. If it were wood coloured I wouldn't know it wasn't an original. I like the idea of the wedges protruding to get a better grip for removal provided they don't get in the way when holding the sander. Do you know what the timber was for the stretcher? I note it just came out of the scrap pile.

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
22nd April 2021, 07:59 PM
Phil,
That’s very impressive,what are the dimensions on that?

Cheers Matt.

The handles are 100mm high x 30mm wide and 35mm deep, minus the curved bits

The distance between them is obviously set by the timber in this case it's @ 400mm in length

For a small version i'd use something like i originally linked from thingiverse.

Cheers
Phil

Aussiephil
22nd April 2021, 08:06 PM
Phil

That's amazing. If it were wood coloured I wouldn't know it wasn't an original. I like the idea of the wedges protruding to get a better grip for removal provided they don't get in the way when holding the sander. Do you know what the timber was for the stretcher? I note it just came out of the scrap pile.

Regards
Paul

i've never tried to print with the wood filament :) and honestly the natural coloured filament was loaded.. The timber literally was a strip off one of the 19mm thick hardwood floorboards hence why it's only 19mm wide :) exactly what species of gum it is/was i have no idea.... damn hand tools... i like this and i'll make a proper width section of wood over the weekend.

The wedges just need a couple mm each side, should never notice in use but will make it easier to handle putting in

Simplicity
22nd April 2021, 08:34 PM
i've never tried to print with the wood filament :) and honestly the natural coloured filament was loaded.. The timber literally was a strip off one of the 19mm thick hardwood floorboards hence why it's only 19mm wide :) exactly what species of gum it is/was i have no idea.... damn hand tools... i like this and i'll make a proper width section of wood over the weekend.

The wedges just need a couple mm each side, should never notice in use but will make it easier to handle putting in

Careful Phil careful,

I’ve heard on good authority that those hand tools are very very addictive.

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
24th April 2021, 08:48 PM
Sunday round Jabber,

Is on tomorrow night 7.30 pm ish .

All and everyone welcome.

Tomorrow night subject is Show an Tell, bring along something wood related, an gives a chat on it.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
24th April 2021, 09:10 PM
For me it will depend on how my ANZAC Day has been, I might be ready to crash by then after the early start.

Aussiephil
24th April 2021, 09:32 PM
Can I bring a hand tool :) ?

Simplicity
24th April 2021, 09:46 PM
Of course you can,will it be complete or missing bits [emoji6].

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
2nd May 2021, 02:11 PM
Sunday round Jabber ,

Is on tonight from 7.30 pm,

I may or may not be involved tonight, due to family health concerns.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
2nd May 2021, 03:09 PM
I may or may not be involved tonight, due to family health concerns.

Best wishes for your unwell family member Matt.

I am not certain if I will be there this evening either

I too have a couple of health issues, with my back and other parts badly inflamed and painful. I have been running out of steam early in the evening as my body demands rest to assist with recovery.

Lifting this new acquisition into and out of my trailer probably has not helped much either but for $250 for a 50-year-old 18" Woodfast with newly replaced bearings and blade guides was just too good to not take.

Pagie
2nd May 2021, 08:26 PM
Well, what is the topic for tonight? Wood?

Pagie
2nd May 2021, 08:27 PM
Well, what is the topic for tonight? Wood? Free wood? Bought wood? Found wood?

Bushmiller
2nd May 2021, 09:45 PM
It was a one on one with Doug tonight, although I am reliably informed that Pagie did put in a guest appearance, but left the stage by the back door early on when he assessed there was nobody in the audience.

Regards
Paul

doug3030
2nd May 2021, 10:09 PM
It was a one on one with Doug tonight, although I am reliably informed that Pagie did put in a guest appearance, but left the stage by the back door early on when he assessed there was nobody in the audience.

Yes, I had a one-on-one with Paul and a one-on-none with Pagie. Not sure what happened with Pagie. I could see him and hear him. He was watching New Amsterdam on TV or computer and either he couldn't see me or didn't want to. I did seem to have some issues with video so it was probably not Pagie's fault.

Pagie
3rd May 2021, 03:28 PM
The wife was watching New Amsterdam in another room, not me. I couldn't get a proper connection with Doug. I will try next week and see if it works better.

Simplicity
5th May 2021, 08:20 PM
Due to on going family health issues,from both sides of family.

Would someone like to take over hosting Sunday night Round Table Jabber?.

Just until things settle back down to a normal rhythm.

As I’m not sure of my availability this coming Sunday and going forward from there for a little while.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
6th May 2021, 01:36 PM
Due to on going family health issues,from both sides of family.

Would someone like to take over hosting Sunday night Round Table Jabber?.

Just until things settle back down to a normal rhythm.

As I’m not sure of my availability this coming Sunday and going forward from there for a little while.

Matt, I hope things are improving for you and Sally.

Unfortunately my availability will be very hit-and-miss for the next month or two as well, or I would step up.

Bushmiller
6th May 2021, 01:41 PM
My level of technology is just not up there plus my availability is also hit and miss. For example this Sunday I am at work.

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
6th May 2021, 06:51 PM
Hey Matt,

All the best mate, despite my somewhat hit and miss recently i'll pick this up for you if no one objects :)

Cheers
Phil

Simplicity
7th May 2021, 08:19 AM
Thanks Phil.

Cheers Matt.

Aussiephil
9th May 2021, 06:58 PM
Reminder 90 minutes countdown

Here’s the link for Sunday evening

regular time of 7:30 Australian Eastern time.

Topic: Wood, fake wood, real wood, coloured wood.... actually how to make wooden knitting needles.

Or as often is the case lets ramble through the forest and take questions from the audience :)

Cheers
Phil

Pagie
9th May 2021, 10:52 PM
3 of us tonight. Talks on knitting needles, saw making and clamps.

doug3030
9th May 2021, 10:54 PM
3 of us tonight. Talks on knitting needles, saw making and clamps.

and fishing

Bushmiller
10th May 2021, 02:09 AM
Aw! I could have contributed....I have never made knitting needles but I have made a crochet hook:

You will all want one of these!! (woodworkforums.com) (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/you-will-all-want-one-of-these-183442?highlight=crochet)

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
10th May 2021, 08:04 AM
I turn my back for five minutes, and you heathen bunch start talking about handmade saws
The world really is going down hill.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
10th May 2021, 09:28 AM
Aw! I could have contributed....I have never made knitting needles but I have made a crochet hook

I shared this picture of a little pair of knitting needles I made a while ago in the chat last night. I think from memory they were 22 inches long.

I have never made a whole crochet hook but I have repaired quite a few. As I shared in the chat last night too, Jools used to have a dozen or so friends who used to come around for craft sessions once a month. One day one of them turned up with a crochet hook that had broken and was held together with a paddle pop stick and sticky tape and she was struggling with it. I took it out to the shed and replaced the plastic handle with an offcut of hairy oak all turned up on the lathe and a little flat bit for her thumb to register on. She had it back in half an hour and loved it. At the following month's session they all turned up with a broken crochet hook each. :doh:

Bushmiller
10th May 2021, 06:11 PM
I have never made a whole crochet hook but I have repaired quite a few. As I shared in the chat last night too, Jools used to have a dozen or so friends who used to come around for craft sessions once a month. One day one of them turned up with a crochet hook that had broken and was held together with a paddle pop stick and sticky tape and she was struggling with it. I took it out to the shed and replaced the plastic handle with an offcut of hairy oak all turned up on the lathe and a little flat bit for her thumb to register on. She had it back in half an hour and loved it. At the following month's session they all turned up with a broken crochet hook each. :doh:

:roflmao::roflmao:

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
16th May 2021, 11:49 AM
Reminder for this evening.....

Here’s the link for Sunday evening

regular time of 7:30 Australian Eastern time.

Topic: General chin wag and bring your questions on anything you would like to know.... most of us can use google to find you the answer :)

Or in other words lets ramble through the forest and take questions from the audience :)

Cheers
Phil

Pagie
16th May 2021, 08:33 PM
Where is everyone?

Aussiephil
16th May 2021, 09:25 PM
Air to air refueling of helicopters
Airbus A400M performs first helicopter air-to-air dry contacts - Defence - Airbus (https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2019/09/airbus-a400m-performs-first-helicopter-airtoair-dry-contacts.html)

Pagie
16th May 2021, 10:02 PM
usa hellicopter refuling - Bing video (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=usa+hellicopter+refuling&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dusa%2520hellicopter%2520refuling%26FORM%3dATUR01%26PC%3dATUR%26PTAG%3dATUR07RAND&view=detail&mid=E6F29050EF6C92D64EA8E6F29050EF6C92D64EA8&&mmscn=vwrc&FORM=VDRVRV)

Bushmiller
19th May 2021, 04:46 AM
We discussed the subject of European hand saws and why we don't see many. I think part of the answer is that they didn't make many preferring the frame saw instead. Peugeot did make tools and saws (as well as cars). They commenced in 1810. These are a couple of extracts from a 1938 catalogue:

Interestingly some of the blades are quite wide. Conjecture has been that it might not be possible to get sufficient tension with a cord.

I also misled you when I referred to H.Boker as being German. They were an American company. Possibly German origins.

Regards
Paul

GraemeCook
21st May 2021, 12:20 PM
Really interesting, Paul.

If you look at the Tage Frid videos you will see that he uses a broad blade (25 - 30 mm ??) when cutting straight lines and a narrow bladed (0.25 inches ??) bow saw when cutting curves. No idea if this relates to the tension in the string or inherent that the broaderer blade was stiffer. Like all of us, he used what worked for him.

One thing that intrigues me is the geographical distribution of saw types, including:

Continental Europe tended to prefer the bow saw configuration,
Anglo world (*) tended to prefer the hand held panel saw, and
Japan preferred Japanes saws.

(* Anglo world = UK, USA, Canada, Australian New Zealand, etc)

Simplicity
23rd May 2021, 06:46 PM
Sunday Round Jabber is on again tonight 7,30 ish.
Haven’t unfortunately come up with a Topic for this evening.

I must apologise for my lack of effort of late hear, this is due to on going family health issues.

See ya at 7.30 ish,

Cheers Matt.

Aussiephil
23rd May 2021, 06:55 PM
Sunday Round Jabber is on again tonight 7,30 ish.
Haven’t unfortunately come up with a Topic for this evening.

I must apologise for my lack of effort of late hear, this is due to on going family health issues.

See ya at 7.30 ish,

Cheers Matt.

Beat me by 10 minutes :) .... 90 minute countdown

TOPIC for tonight: Sanding techniques and including have modern abrasives made it faster but maybe not cheaper

Bushmiller
30th May 2021, 01:11 AM
Won't be able to make it today. I have to peddle the bicycle to make up for the Callide disaster. :(

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
30th May 2021, 01:57 PM
Sunday night round table Jabber.

Tonight’s show, will include a public hanging!!
Public stoning, BYO stones, heathen bashing and how too get the best out of the Dremel multi tool.

All welcome Atheist included 7.30 ish start time.

Cheers Matt.
We may even have a side show on how too teach Matt to spell.

doug3030
30th May 2021, 05:08 PM
I will be involved with a video conference with my Veterans' knife making group this evening.

I was meant to be there in person this weekend helping to run a course but Covid got in the way.

The timing for that conference is flexible and depends upon when the knives are finished and the course ends.

If the new guys pick it up quickly they might finish up early and I might be able to make the the entire jabber.

Otherwise I might not make it at all, or just drop in for a quick visit. It is what it is.

If I'm not there by 7.30 feel free to start without me. Either way enjoy yourselves.

DaveVman
31st May 2021, 04:20 PM
I need to get in on this. I just never remember that it is actually on. I'm already in front of the TV trying not think at all by then. Which I find is the natural outcome of watching TV but I digress.

Pagie
31st May 2021, 07:00 PM
Don't make any plans for the next few weeks, this will be a while yet.

Simplicity
5th June 2021, 08:00 PM
Tomorrow night is Round Table Jabber again people’s.

7.30 ish start time.

All human types welcome, yes even those kinds.

Out of the Hat is Sanding is for chimps, being this weeks Hot to trot topic.
Going all the way from 16 grit, to grit size numbers in the tens of thousands or beyond.

This week Skype chat is proudly brought to via Phil’s amazing 3D printing Emporium were if you can imagine it, Phil can Print it.
Including is amazing 3D printed Bow Sander parts.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
6th June 2021, 08:59 AM
Is this the correct link to log in tonight?

https://join.skype.com/u73k1kv4B1UL

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
6th June 2021, 09:51 AM
Is this the correct link to log in tonight?

https://join.skype.com/u73k1kv4B1UL

Regards
Paul

Yes I believe it is Paul.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
6th June 2021, 09:45 PM
A couple of links I promised to post from tonight's chat:

Turnado metal lathe tool Turnado - Turning System (https://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/products/turnado-freehand-metal-turning-system)

Forge kit for 9kg gas bottle How to build a simple gas forge. Making the shell and installing refractory, Tips and Tricks - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFKoGZkUQt4)
(kit available) from Forge Refractory Kit - 9kg gas cylinder - Artisan Supplies (https://www.artisansupplies.com.au/product/forge-refractory-kit-9kg-gas-cylinder)

Pagie
6th June 2021, 10:12 PM
That Turnado system looks great. very handy.

Simplicity
13th June 2021, 05:21 PM
Tonight’s Skype meeting
7.30 ish start time.
Anyone welcome of course.
Let’s free fall tonight, no set subject.

See ya then.

Cheers Matt.

Pagie
13th June 2021, 06:34 PM
Still no power so I won’t be there. Sitting in car to charge my phone. Empty 3 freezers today.

Simplicity
13th June 2021, 06:50 PM
Still no power so I won’t be there. Sitting in car to charge my phone. Empty 3 freezers today.

If I can help Peter,
You have my number.

Cheers Matt.

Pagie
13th June 2021, 07:01 PM
If I can help Peter,
You have my number.

Cheers Matt.

Thanks Mat
we r ok just no power. Might try to get on in my car latter. Want som Bbq?

Pagie
13th June 2021, 07:24 PM
Thanks Mat
we r ok just no power. Might try to get on in my car latter. Want som Bbq?

Power just came on..:D

Simplicity
20th June 2021, 01:11 PM
Tonight’s hot to trot subject will be vintage measuring tools(Because I’ve just got some new ones [emoji6]).

An will be hosted from my Brand spanking new family heirloom Work Bench.

All welcome in the Den of iniquity,

Start time some time after 7.28 ish

Cheers Matt.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210620/b56e5717700c4640214377a805252e15.jpg

Bushmiller
20th June 2021, 02:30 PM
Matt

I like the look of that. perhaps we could do a Kipp's game and spot what is on the bench. Aussiephil's knock offs, "The Body," etc. etc..

Wot's in the box?

See you tonight.

Regards
Paul

Pagie
20th June 2021, 03:02 PM
Bench is looking flash. And too clean.

Simplicity
20th June 2021, 03:16 PM
Paige, Paul

One the Bench is looking just fine, thank you no need to add stuff.
Paul the Wooden Box is from the Mother country(For some [emoji6]).
An can reach to dissey heights !!

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
20th June 2021, 03:24 PM
Things are progressing well in our shed today so I should be in a position to come in by 7:30.

We will probably have some takeaway fish and chips for dinner because we will both have had enough of standing up at the benches today before it gets to cooking time.

See everyone there.