PDA

View Full Version : Carpet ripping

Joel
28th November 2005, 12:25 PM
Hi All,

This is my first day at this forum! Goodmorning to all!

I have bought a place in Orange and the whole house is carpeted with some 20Yrs old carpet which we would like to rip off! The deal is that most of the house is floor boards which we are planning to sand and then polish again, but some parts are concrete which we would like to tile after ripping the carpet off it.

I guess my question is which is the best way to go about this job? Do I need to use a jack hammer to roughen the floor and then tile it?

Thank in advance,

Joel

seriph1
4th December 2005, 07:09 AM
hi and welcome to the forum! You'll find a wealth of information and opinion here....I know I have. Depending on what is actually "on" your concrete, you should be able to lay tile onto it without much prep at all. I guess to get a "key" surface for the tiles, you would apply something like bondcrete to it, but I'm not sure, so don't take my word for it - a trip to a tile place, with a decent explanation of what you found under the carpet should asnwer all your questions. For what it's worth, the last tiling job I did was sticking slate over new concrete.....it's still there. Perhaps post a couple of pics of your place onto the forum to give folks an idea of what era it is etc. and to help in ....well....helping

:D

above all - have fun!

Arron
4th December 2005, 06:28 PM
If your concrete is level and sound then you have it lucky. Just get some tile adhesive designed for the job and go ahead.

It is common to lay a sand and cement tile base over a concrete slab before laying tiles. This is done to bring it up to the desired height and to level it - not because tiles have any issue with sticking to concrete. It sounds like you dont need to do this.

Tiles in Orange sounds too cold to me. Have you considered a floating floor (ie. timber or laminate).

Arron