PDA

View Full Version : Dog Sled. No fasteners

Bushmiller
1st April 2021, 08:38 PM
One of the most difficult things I find with the Forum is selecting the most appropriate spot from the multitude of places to post. So if this is not quite the right place I do apologise in advance.

It is a dog sled made by my son, who is living (locked down more precisely) in Norway. During this difficult time he and his boss have undertaken to make a number of videos of "adventures" they have while twiddling their thumbs.

This is the sixth video in the series and is, as the title of the thread suggests, a dog sled designed to be pulled by a team of huskies. In the North of Norway they have a snow hotel at Kirkenes and many Alaskan huskies (over 150!) Simon used to work there and headed back up to try out the sled.

It was constructed with left over timber from the build of a mobile sauna on a box trailer, which was the subject of another of the videos. There is a brief look at the construction at the start of the video and you will see that the construction used M & T joints and rope to keep everything together.

This is the video:

Russian Border Dog Sledding - Riding a self build dog sled in Kirkenes Norway - North & Beyond Ep. 7 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIY9mG86Z-s)

I hope you like it. I liked it, but there again I am seriously biased.

Regards
Paul

PS: Other videos include brewing beer using glacial ice, constructing a pizza oven using steel reclaimed from a shipwreck, building and surviving in a Quinzee and living, briefly, in an old lighthouse and the mobile sauna built on a tandem axle trailer.

AlexS
2nd April 2021, 09:07 AM
Thanks for posting that, really interesting.

tony_A
2nd April 2021, 09:58 AM
No doubt there are a few of us here with offspring living and working on the other side of the world whom we haven't seen for a couple of years, and probably wont see for at least another. At least the digital era gives us communication options compared to when we were that age. Still a bit tough on both parties at times.

Bushmiller
2nd April 2021, 12:53 PM
No doubt there are a few of us here with offspring living and working on the other side of the world whom we haven't seen for a couple of years, and probably wont see for at least another. At least the digital era gives us communication options compared to when we were that age. Still a bit tough on both parties at times.

Yes

Simon can't get too much further away without going Polar: It may be deliberate. :shrug:

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
2nd April 2021, 01:06 PM
Just to put the location into perspective:

Here you can see the location of Kirkenes and the Russian township of Nikel, which Simon mentions at the start.

Where he is situated is close to Finland as well as Russia. There is a point just south of Kirkenes where both Finland and Russia are only ten miles away. He mentioned that there is a wall that the Russians have built, but you can walk around the end of it as it is not long: And be shot! A bit like Trump's Mexican wall.

Regards
Paul

old1955
2nd April 2021, 02:49 PM
Thanks for posting Paul. Enjoyed that very much.

Ross

labr@
2nd April 2021, 07:18 PM
Looks like Simon knows how to have fun - a chip off the old block perhaps?

It would be nteresting to see the lashing when finished.

I think that area is well north of the arctic circle - they will need to fit lights for use during november to february :).

orraloon
2nd April 2021, 09:23 PM
Thanks for posting that. Would have to be the first dog sled build on this forum.
I visited a huskey farm in Svalbard 2 years ago. Was the middle of summer (they get about 6 to 8 weeks without snow) so no sled ride. The dogs were so friendly. They come over and lean against your legs to get your attention. Was about 10* that day so they were enjoying the sun. They do have them pull wheeled buggies when there is no snow but 10* was too hot for them to work.
Regards
John

Bushmiller
2nd April 2021, 09:35 PM
John

They have those wheeled buggies up at Kirkenes too, but as you said the dogs overheat. They are strictly cold climate animals. Although they love human attention, they fight between each other with almost no provocation. Simon says it is not if they will fight but when!

Bob

You are right with the Arctic circle, which is 66.5625° N and Kirkenes is 69.727728° N. Yup, I had to look them up. :) They are treated to the Northern lights in that region.

Regards
Paul

rustynail
4th April 2021, 09:39 PM
Brings back fond memories of my time in Scandinavia and dog sled racing. We used moose sinew and tree resin for bindings. It just keeps getting tighter and tighter as it dries out. I have a mate in Alaska who mushes the Iditarod every year, he too uses sinew.

yvan
5th April 2021, 08:52 AM
Brings back fond memories of my time in Scandinavia and dog sled racing. We used moose sinew and tree resin for bindings. It just keeps getting tighter and tighter as it dries out. I have a mate in Alaska who mushes the Iditarod every year, he too uses sinew.

Where can I get hold of some of that sinew stuff? I would need lots of it to fix my sloppy wood joints :D

Cheers,
Yvan

Bushmiller
5th April 2021, 09:53 AM

Thanks for that info RN.

I will have to ask Simon what they use up at the hotel. The concept of ever tightening sinew is interesting in itself. I imagine he used rope because that was all that was available. Perhaps he should be on the lookout for some road kill. I think only the Sami are allowed to slaughter moose. Trouble is that you want road kill that was not caused by your own vehicle as if that was the case you are probably now in the market for a replacement vehicle too!

They have in Europe "The Moose" test, which vehicles are required to pass. It involves a chicane type obstacle which the vehicle has to negotiate at a given speed and is intended to replicate avoidance action to a moose that has just leapt in front of you. Not all vehicles pass. I don't want to mention any names in case it brings a manufacturer into disrepute:

Jeep Grand Cherokee moose test -- the full story - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM)

I believe they re-engineered the vehicle at a later date.

Apart from roo activity on our country QLD roads the closest I have come to this was a long time ago in the UK. My cousin was driving his mini along a narrow country road at night when a large deer crossed in front of us above head height. There were 6 foot hedges either side of the road and this deer cleared them both. For a moment I believed in Santa Claus. :)

Regards
Paul

orraloon
5th April 2021, 11:32 AM
When I was making archery bows a lot of the guys making traditional bows were on the lookout for sinew. Most got friendly with a butcher or Roo hunters for a supply. A traditional sinew backed bow is still superior to anything modern like carbon fiber. Much more elastic as it's the bodies shock absorber. Basically it goes on wet and shrinks as it dries. In America you can buy it ready processed for primitive projects.
Regards
John

labr@
5th April 2021, 05:09 PM
Hhhhmmm...not sure about this sinew info - I reckon my sinews must have dried out by now but my joints certainly aren't getting any better :rolleyes:.

rustynail
6th April 2021, 03:55 PM
There was a Moose season each year in most Scandinavian countries, starting in either September or October dependant on which Country.
Sweden had a split season each side of the rut. Any of the elk or deer species sinew is good, Moose is longer and thicker. I used to prefer Kangaroo, as it was very strong for its size. Unfortunately, Kangaroo's are not real thick on the ground in Scandinavia.

LanceC
6th April 2021, 05:31 PM
What a great video Paul. I binge watched them all and subscribed. You're son is s very good story teller, and the production quality is outstanding.

Bushmiller
6th April 2021, 09:31 PM
Lance

I am so pleased you enjoyed them and thanks for subscribing. I am not sure of the subject matter for the next one. A hovercraft was on the agenda, but I think funds may be an issue for that one. Most of the adventures they have done for very little cost other than their time of which they have plenty for the moment.

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
6th April 2021, 09:36 PM
There was a Moose season each year in most Scandinavian countries, starting in either September or October dependant on which Country.
Sweden had a split season each side of the rut. Any of the elk or deer species sinew is good, Moose is longer and thicker. I used to prefer Kangaroo, as it was very strong for its size. Unfortunately, Kangaroo's are not real thick on the ground in Scandinavia.

RN

I take your point about the roo scarcity in that part of the world. Simon has not hit a single one in all the time he has been there. I am guessing you didn't take too many videos when you were there, being of a time when such things were not so easily available as now.

Regards
Paul

rustynail
7th April 2021, 05:00 PM
No videos. Back in those days a camera was three parts useless during winter up there and my mushing wasn't to a skill level where I could race with one hand holding a camera to my eye with the other. I must admit, it would have made some excellent footage though. Particularly the time a mother moose decided I was in charge of a wolf pack intent on eating her calf!

Bushmiller
7th April 2021, 05:26 PM
No videos. Back in those days a camera was three parts useless during winter up there and my mushing wasn't to a skill level where I could race with one hand holding a camera to my eye with the other. I must admit, it would have made some excellent footage though. Particularly the time a mother moose decided I was in charge of a wolf pack intent on eating her calf!

RN

Moose antlers are impressive, although I think my image is probably of the males. You would not want to see them at close quarters. I don't know what sort of camera Simon and his mate use, but I suspect it is a GoPro or similar.

Regards
Paul

GraemeCook
9th April 2021, 03:14 PM
... It is a dog sled made by my son, who is living (locked down more precisely) in Norway....

Great video, Paul. But your son would definitely look much more athletic if he was wearing budgie smugglers.

Bushmiller
9th April 2021, 04:54 PM
Great video, Paul. But your son would definitely look much more athletic if he was wearing budgie smugglers.

Graeme

In those temperatures (his video of the Quinzee build was -30°C from memory) I think they would both drop off. :oo:

Regards
Paul