PDA

View Full Version : Gouge recommendations?

bruceward51
3rd April 2021, 06:11 PM
I am considering heading into a series of projects that I think justify a new gouge (any excuse to get a new tool). As a follower of Paul Sellers, I had a look at his buying guide and he suggests an out-cannel No 7 sweep between 30 and 40 mm. He also recommends some brands that I cannot find in my searching Australian suppliers. In particular Ashely Isles and Hirsch.

I found Stubai gouges at The Woodworks at Mona Vale, but had trouble understanding the differences between the 52 series and 55 series. I also found Pfeil gouges at Carbetec, although the 35 mm #7 is out of stock. Both of these brands are recommended by Sellers.

I am sure any of these tools would be an improvement over the ancient 15 mm gouge I am using at the moment, but I wondered if anyone had alternative suggestions or suppliers that I have not found?

Bruce

Pac man
3rd April 2021, 06:18 PM
Please make sure you read the google reviews and call ahead to make sure the woodworks have the tools in stock before you part with your hard earned.

PFH
3rd April 2021, 07:25 PM
I have a Pfeil gouge that I'm happy with - I think it's actually that size. I would have also been happy with a tighter sweep, so if you don't want to wait you could get a similar one instead.

bruceward51
3rd April 2021, 09:57 PM
Please make sure you read the google reviews and call ahead to make sure the woodworks have the tools in stock before you part with your hard earned.
I have had ‘issues’ with them in the past - not quite serious enough to avoid them, but as you say, would be suitably cautious if I went that way.

bruceward51
3rd April 2021, 10:03 PM
I would have also been happy with a tighter sweep

My last big carving project was a rocking horse and a tighter sweep might have been good. But I am looking at carving seats this time, so a shallow sweep is probably called for. A set of bar stools is first up, then maybe the Rocking chair that Sellers is working through now. I really like the look of it.

Alkahestic
5th April 2021, 10:06 PM
If you want Ashley Isles you'll have to buy them from an international seller. I'm not much of a carver but did need a gouge for the Sellers hand mirror - like you've just found, the Pfeil's at Carbatec are out of stock. I ended up with a Narex from Studio Dubbeld (https://www.dubbeldwoodtools.com/product-category/carving/profile-7/narex-profile-7/) - I can't compare to other gouges but I can say it's like other Narex products, good steel that sharpens well without too much effort at a decent price point. They have a #7 30mm Pfeil in stock if that strikes your fancy too.

bruceward51
6th April 2021, 09:23 AM
Not seen that shop before so I will have a good look.