PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting NBN speeds like this?

doug3030
24th April 2021, 08:38 AM
Ever since being on NBN, about 3 years, we have been getting erratic speeds. It was varying through the day between 10 to 108 MB/s, mostly around 40, even though we were paying for 100.

For a few days now we have been getting this:

Anyone else found this?

crowie
24th April 2021, 09:15 AM
Supersonic Doug.
I’m just getting what I pay for 90-100 from TPG

Chris Parks
24th April 2021, 09:18 AM
FTTP or FTTN, I presume FTTN.

doug3030
24th April 2021, 09:52 AM
FTTP or FTTN, I presume FTTN.

It's NBN over the old Pay TV HFC network.

Lappa
24th April 2021, 08:30 PM
Your lucky re the cable. I had OPTUS cable internet before NBN came along and it was around 100mbps. When NBN came along they refused to use the cable as it was OPTUS so I had to settle for the old telephone wires (FTTC) and get 50mbps for the same cost as the previous cable.
Rant over.
Can’t explain your up and down readings however those high speeds are possible. Aussie Broadband is offering them now.

woodPixel
24th April 2021, 10:37 PM
I read on Whirlpool that the NBN was going to release a new top speed called NBN250

Looks like its now done....

Edit - look like Im behind the times! 250 and 1000 now available... NBN 250 or NBN 1000 plans in Australia | WhistleOut (https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/NBN-plans-with-speeds-faster-than-NBN-100)

BobL
25th April 2021, 09:34 AM
We're on a standard 50/20 plan but a few last month we got an email saying they were putting us on a free trial for 3 months of 100/20 plan but I did not bother to check the speeds.

Just checked, and using a wifi connection I'm getting 130/19 but with an ethernet connection to the modem I'm getting 273/23!

Funny thing is I haven't noticed any difference in practice.

doug3030
25th April 2021, 10:00 AM

Same here except for one nice little surprise.

We see no real difference with the computers, phones, tablets, television in the house. Obviously big files should be downloading faster but we are in the habit of starting big downloads, on the odd occasion we do them, and letting it take its time and come back and look later, so no appreciable advantage there.

But I have a cheap laptop in the shed which connects to the modem in the house wirelessly. It's primary function is playing youtubes for information on projects or 1970's music clips for entertainment while I "work". The wireless link to that laptop seemed to be the link that suffered the most and occasionally dropped out if net usage in the house was high, (maybe Jools working from home, listening to podcasts and downloading a big file at the same time). It has been running beautifully for the past few days.

BobL
25th April 2021, 11:30 AM
But I have a cheap laptop in the shed which connects to the modem in the house wirelessly. It's primary function is playing youtubes for information on projects or 1970's music clips for entertainment while I "work". The wireless link to that laptop seemed to be the link that suffered the most and occasionally dropped out if net usage in the house was high, (maybe Jools working from home, listening to podcasts and downloading a big file at the same time). It has been running beautifully for the past few days.

Interesting you should say that

We have long narrow block and problems with the iron roof and (damp?) brick house walls, plus shed is colour bond clad with small windows so WIFI connection to shed is probematic.
Hence, connection to the shed is;
- NBN modem via ethernet cable to
- Ethernet switch in the middle of house, then via ethernet cable to
- Wiifi relay station at the back of the house to
- Wifi receiver station in shed.

Speeds at the end of all that are ~ 23/20

Chris Parks
25th April 2021, 11:44 AM
We're on a standard 50/20 plan but a few last month we got an email saying they were putting us on a free trial for 3 months of 100/20 plan but I did not bother to check the speeds.

Just checked, and using a wifi connection I'm getting 130/19 but with an ethernet connection to the modem I'm getting 273/23!

It is pretty well known a small jump such as yours is unnoticeable for most people while a jump from say 20 to 50 is very noticeable. We replaced part of the line into the house and our speed went from about 18 to 50 and the difference was huge. The biggest change is the up speed for most users.

homey
25th April 2021, 11:47 AM
Doug,

I’m on a 50/20 plan with TPG. I’m in inner Eastern Melbourne with HFC connection. Roughly 3 months ago I received an email from TPG saying they were giving a free 6 month speed upgrade.

Since then the speed has been fluctuating between as low as 7.67 and as high as 269. Mostly in the 35-65 range. The highest speeds have only been on the 5gHz band.

Regards,

Brian

doug3030
25th April 2021, 11:51 AM
It is pretty well known a small jump such as yours is unnoticeable for most people while a jump from say 20 to 50 is very noticeable. We replaced part of the line into the house and our speed went from about 18 to 50 and the difference was huge. The biggest change is the up speed for most users.

Another factor to consider is that the speed of your plan is only the speed between you and the NBN. The actual speed at which you can download is that of the SLOWEST link on the internet that the data has to pass through between the server it is stored on and your computer. If the slowest link is only 10 MB/s that's all you will get regardless of whether your plan is 20 or 1000.

BobL
25th April 2021, 01:23 PM

We went from 20 to a 50 in 2015 when we switched from ADSL to FTTH but I didn't notice that much of a difference then, although I remember SWMBO said she did, probably because she watches movies/TV/Youtube etc. I just asked her if she noticed anything form the recent speed boost but she said no.

My biggest downloads are OS upgrades but I schedule these to happen ON so they don't impact me.

woodPixel
25th April 2021, 02:03 PM
For those on Wifi with their laptops and not adverse to a little electronic-surgery.... this little card works absolute magic.

My old 2.4 internal Wifi was very ordinary. As was the Bluetooth. Very ordinary indeed. This is on a decent Asus SonicMaster laptop that I use while on the couch :)

So, a few screw out to get to the guts, pop the old one out, new one in, pop on the two new areals and POW!!!! A HUGE step up.

Super dooper speed on both 2.5, 5 and BT... magical.

Best still its only $20 :) :) :)

Not a trivial thing*, but anyone who has eyes, can observe and doesn't mind "having a go" can easily do this upgrade.

Wireless 7260HMW Mini PCI E Card For Intel AC 7260 Dual Band 867Mbps 802.11ac 2.4G/5G Bluetooth 4.0 + 2x U.FL IPEX Antenna (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843576073.html)

* it isnt Rocket Surgery... :) But some find it intimidating, but it really isn't.

woodPixel
25th April 2021, 02:10 PM
The biggest thing people may notice, if they are Netflix users, is the jump to Ultra HD resolutions on their TV..... if their TV has this feature. This uses a solid 25MB/sec continuously.

For our household going to 100 saved our sanity. Loving Son is an internet FIEND.... if he is gaming, he also seems to be listening to a streaming video and downloading some ridiculous thing at the same time.... poor wires must be running hot some nights :)

If we were on Netflix we had troubles. This led to ... disagreements.

We have Fibre to the modem and the pings for games is very nice.

We use TPG, which has been solid for ~2 years. Decent pricing.

Chris Parks
25th April 2021, 03:57 PM
FTTP is a different thing altogether for speed, that is when most people would notice a difference. From a ADSL speed of about 3MBPS we went to 18 on NBN with FTTN then replaced the connection from our private pole to the modem which cost about $30 and instantly went from 18 to 50 actually a bit more. A few months ago everyone I spoke to in the street reported speeds under 10 with numerous drop outs occurring through the town and Telstra promised us it would be rectified on a certain date and it was which surprised me no end. The move to FTTP on request has gone a bit quite lately but I will jump on that when it is offered and I recall it was supposed to have happened by now.

homey
5th May 2021, 10:03 PM
Installed a mesh router system today to overcome dead spots in the house - lots of double brick walls.

HFC with TPG. Dropoff in wifi from the previous router meant pretty ordinary signal at the end of the house.

This evening’s results at the top of this list:

:2tsup: Brian

skot
21st June 2021, 12:55 PM
We also have HFC with TPG and we constantly get the following:

We are on 100/40 so can not complain. You must be on a 250/25 plan

doug3030
21st June 2021, 01:17 PM
We also have HFC with TPG and we constantly get the following:

We are on 100/40 so can not complain. You must be on a 250/25 plan

We are actually on the 100 plan.

Since I started this thread, we got an email from our ISP advising that the network had been upgraded to allow up to 250 and new plans were available. They are giving everyone a free six-month sample of he faster speed so that we can get hooked on it and give them an extra $30 per month.

smidsy
20th July 2021, 07:03 PM
I'm on NBN with TPG and I get 53-56meg on a 50 meg plan and in four years I've had less than ten minutes total down time.

I am more than happy with 50meg, I started on 13.6k dialup - Netscape2 was a 2meg file and it took two hours to download.
Remember that your speed will always be dependant on your cabling - both street and lead in.
My place is only eight years old in a fairly new street so I know I have good cabling.

BobL
20th July 2021, 08:15 PM
We are actually on the 100 plan.

Since I started this thread, we got an email from our ISP advising that the network had been upgraded to allow up to 250 and new plans were available. They are giving everyone a free six-month sample of he faster speed so that we can get hooked on it and give them an extra $30 per month.

Our trial was 3 months and its just finished.
I cant tell the difference.
SWMBO is the movie TV watcher and says she can't tell either.
Might be useful if you had a large family all wanting to play games or watch different movies at the same time.

Jigsaw
20th September 2021, 09:25 PM
Hang on to your hats guys, I am sure this will create some discussion.
First of all the NBN is only the piece of string? between the Exchange and your premises.
I say this because it maybe being blamed unfairly. NO I have never worked for NBN. The NBN does not include your ISP's provisioning which maybe the reasons speed/throughput drops at times.
It also does not include the cabling/wiring or Wi FI within your premises.

The SPEED of the (end to end) connection is not as relevant as the THROUGHPUT.
The Internet works by sending packets of data. If one end sends 10 packets and the other only receives 5 packets (correctly) then those 5 packets have to be re-sent.
What happens if some of these 5 packets have problems. This changes the effective throughput speed.
The Ping command is only an indicator. It sends out a message saying "are you there" the other end says "yes" and we measure the time. This is not a Bucket (my terminology) of data.

Optical Fibre cabling is the Bees Knees for Speed and throughput. It is less likely to cause problems.
Copper Telephone Cables were never designed to carry Data which presents a problem. On top of this they are mostly not soldered and are sometimes covered in water in the Telecom Pits. Not ideal for data.
Some telephone lines will have redundant spurs which can cause signal reflections.
Substandard Ethernet cabling and/or connections within your home can also play a part. Is your PC Network Connetion 10mbs, 100mbs or 1Gbs. This will make a difference if you connect this way.
I have terminated Cat6 cables before that don't pass the Cat6 standard. If you cut off 20mm of cable and re-terminate them all is OK. It can depend on cable twists within the socket. Better to purchase than make your own.
Now for the Wi Fi within your home.
Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi Fi.
If you use a program called Wi Fi Analyser this will provide info for your connection, the channel you are using and are other people in your neighbourhood using the same channel as you. If they are you can change the channel.
If you use this program on a laptop, you can walk around the house/shed and check out signal strength and performance etc.

Anyway that's about it for now.

Dave

Jigsaw
21st September 2021, 09:02 PM
My NBN Experience
I went from ADSL to NBN several years ago. Our area was one of the first to get it.
I have Optical Fibre to the Desk (FTTH) and about 1 metre Ethernet cable to the router and another to the PC.
I opted for the 12Mbs speed and have used it until about 12 months ago.
I only upgraded to 50Mbs because it was an extra $10 a month with the another feature that was in a new bundle.
I had a 2.4Ghz Router.
I had several devices connected and never had any issues. I have had up to 4 Ipads and phones plus Netflix and a PC connected with no issues.
When I got another laptop, I had issues with the Network dropping and re-connecting straight away.
I used Wi Fi Analyser and found that there were 8 other Networks in my area using the same channel. I swapped the channel in the router. It was marginally better.
I was given another Router which had 5Ghz which I connected to the first router.
My lap top never had any more connecting issues. The 2.4Ghz had 13 channels spread between 28 Networks in my vicinity. The 5Ghz has 149 channels with one channel in use (the bloke next door).
With this router Configuration I had poor 5Ghz signal at the other end of the house.
I upgraded my router through the ISP to a router that had both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (to get rid of having 2 routers).
I now get good performance anywhere in the house on the 5Ghz.
My ISP upgraded me to the 250Mbs speed for a 6 month trial for free. It has now expired and I am back down to 50Mbs.

I have also run an Cat6 Ethernet cable between 2 rooms in the house with a 5 port switch on the end. My cable is about 10 metres well within the 95 metre limit.

The bottom line is. You can't control much outside your house but you can improve things within your house.

Dave

Lappa
21st September 2021, 09:43 PM
5GHz wireless will give you speed at the expense of distance. 2.5GHz will give you distance at the expense of speed. 2.5 GHz gets me to my back fence with room to spare and 5GHz only to the shed door.

Jigsaw
21st September 2021, 10:46 PM
Many thanks for your input Lappa.
I partly agree with you but it could be the terminology you are using.
You mention speed difference.
I can get my 50Mbs (speed) on the 2,4Hgz or 5Ghz Wi Fi. I have not looked at Router specs for a while, but I don't thing the different bands would have different speeds.
What can change is the throughput. The 2.4Ghz can have problems with Microwave ovens, Mobile phones etc. You may also be sharing the same channel as others.
I was sharing channel 1 with 7 others, so in theory you are taking it in turns to use the channel.

Dave
My 2.4Ghz problem could also have been the wi fi card in the laptop being better at 5Ghz.

lyricnz
22nd September 2021, 11:00 AM
Lucky buggers. I can only get 30/5 on my crappy FTTN. NBN says I am "adequately served", so sod off. Not loving the $50b+ we spent on this!

crowie
22nd September 2021, 09:50 PM
Lucky buggers. I can only get 30/5 on my crappy FTTN. NBN says I am "adequately served", so sod off. Not loving the $50b+ we spent on this!

That's an absolute joke...
:o:no::~
Maybe the "telecommunication ombudsman" can stick it up them for that!

lyricnz
23rd September 2021, 09:05 AM
They're only contractually obliged to provide 12/1 while areas are in "coexistence" (which means some legacy systems still turned on - eg traffic lights, lifts, etc), and only 25/5 after that. My area is still in coexistence, with no sign of it ending, so they say I'm lucky to get 30/5. As soon as I can get Starlink or 5G, I'm ditching NBN for good.