PDA

View Full Version : Replacement chucks - cordless drills

Elill
26th April 2021, 12:33 PM
Hi Gang,

I've been having issues with the keyless chucks on my Hikoki drills. The dealer tells me they're all the same.....the application I use it for is probably a bit too heavy duty for the drill, but it works, so long as the chuck stays tight.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone make a really good keyless chuck for aftermarket?
2. I'm thinking of changing it to a keyed chuck - thoughts? would it be stronger?

I use it to turn a 10t truck parking jack. Low speed mode.....Makita have just released a 36v auger with a keyed chuck, thinking of changing to that perhaps....but that's an expensive option

Cheers,
Peter

China
26th April 2021, 03:18 PM
Rohm keyless chucks are considered to be about the best aftermarket items, they don't come cheap

Bohdan
26th April 2021, 03:44 PM
Are you locking (https://powerplanter.com/blog/how-to-secure-bit-in-cordless-drill/)the chuck?

The chuck may be designed to lock on the drill by, after you have tightened it, turning the chuck back untill you hear a click.

It is then locked on the drill and won't slip.

havabeer69
26th April 2021, 04:41 PM
my old hitachi drill had a plastic keyless chuck and it was horrible to try and get anything tight as the plastic "grip" ridges wore away really quick and in the end i had to use multigrips to be able to grab it tight enough to get a decent grip on a bit.

i think and semi decent metal chuck will be ok or make sure what ever your putting in the chuck has proper flats to grip onto

Greg Q
26th April 2021, 10:33 PM
I have two DeWalt 18v drills that have been used only moderately for a few years and both have almost useless chucks. The rest of my yellow tools have been really quite good, but the drills are crap.

Elill
29th April 2021, 09:46 AM
Are you locking (https://powerplanter.com/blog/how-to-secure-bit-in-cordless-drill/)the chuck?

The chuck may be designed to lock on the drill by, after you have tightened it, turning the chuck back untill you hear a click.

It is then locked on the drill and won't slip.

Yep. The rep tried to explain that...wouldn't believe me till I showed him....

Elill
29th April 2021, 09:47 AM
Rohm keyless chucks are considered to be about the best aftermarket items, they don't come cheap

Thanks. That's what the repair guy put on. It's better but not perfect. Going to look at keyed options

elanjacobs
29th April 2021, 08:48 PM
Albrecht is the other one to try if you don't like Rohm. If neither of them work, you're clearly well outside the working envelope of the tool you're using and you'll just keep breaking them.

GraemeCook
4th May 2021, 03:13 PM
I've been having issues with the keyless chucks on my Hikoki drills. The dealer tells me they're all the same.....the application I use it for is probably a bit too heavy duty for the drill, but it works, so long as the chuck stays tight.

Hi Peter

Do you mind if we ask what is the "too heavy ... application" that is straining the drill?

Hitachi, the old name for Hikoki, made some pretty reliable equipment. But you have an on-going problem with the chuck. If you replace the chuck, will you just transfer the "excess application" to another part of the drill?

Maybe you will have to go up to a more rugged drill? Perhaps a Hilti, but $$$$$.

Elill
4th May 2021, 03:24 PM
Hi Peter

Do you mind if we ask what is the "too heavy ... application" that is straining the drill?

Hitachi, the old name for Hikoki, made some pretty reliable equipment. But you have an on-going problem with the chuck. If you replace the chuck, will you just transfer the "excess application" to another part of the drill?

Maybe you will have to go up to a more rugged drill? Perhaps a Hilti, but $$$$$.

It's an excellent drill. Other than normal use, I use it to drive a 10t truck parking jack. When the weight really gets going on it, it struggles. It has lots of protection systems to stop me from buggering it.

Makita have just released a big 36v auger. I'm trying to get one off a rep to try.

I've tried the Milwaukee hole jag, but that was rubbish

Chris Parks
4th May 2021, 08:03 PM
What is a 10t truck parking jack, I drove trucks for many years and have no idea what it is.

Elill
4th May 2021, 08:34 PM
What is a 10t truck parking jack, I drove trucks for many years and have no idea what it is.

Might know it as a landing leg?

We use them to level a portable building on our farm, which weighs about 8t

AL01366 SIMOL SIDE WIND DROP LEG 2 SPEED 10000kg : PARKING JACKS : JOCKEY WHEELS AND PARKING JACKS : Product Catalogue : A-Line Trading - Component Solutions (http://alinetrading.com.au/product-catalogue/jockey-wheels-and-parking-jacks/parking-jacks/al01366-simol-side-wind-drop-leg-2-speed-10000kg)

justonething
4th May 2021, 09:20 PM
It's an excellent drill. Other than normal use, I use it to drive a 10t truck parking jack. When the weight really gets going on it, it struggles. It has lots of protection systems to stop me from buggering it.

Makita have just released a big 36v auger. I'm trying to get one off a rep to try.

I've tried the Milwaukee hole jag, but that was rubbish

For that's sort of application, it's best to use the impact driver if you have one. It will save your drill

Elill
4th May 2021, 09:33 PM
For that's sort of application, it's best to use the impact driver if you have one. It will save your drill

That was my original idea. Get a really good impact driver. Like that big Milwaukee one. But the guys who make the jacks said that wasn't a good idea as the "impacts" could damage the gear box in the jack.

Would that be right?

Colin62
4th May 2021, 10:52 PM
Do you grip the shaft of the jack directly with the chuck or do you have an adapter with a socket on it?

Chris Parks
4th May 2021, 10:55 PM
The only thing worth considering is a pneumatic rattle gun or the cordless equivalent and not what the hobby community calls an impact gun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cordless+1/2"+impact+gun&client=opera&hs=sbc&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj8lrPs-6_wAhU54jgGHcgaCVgQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1396&bih=693

Elill
5th May 2021, 08:58 AM
Do you grip the shaft of the jack directly with the chuck or do you have an adapter with a socket on it?

The shaft into the gear box is round. Its designed to have a handle on it, which is secured to the shaft with a pin. I had some adapters/sleeves machined to slide over the shaft, secured by the pin with a round drill bit like end to go into the drill. I've ground that end into a hexagonal shape to give the drill/chuck more grip

Elill
5th May 2021, 08:59 AM
The only thing worth considering is a pneumatic rattle gun or the cordless equivalent and not what the hobby community calls an impact gun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cordless+1/2"+impact+gun&client=opera&hs=sbc&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj8lrPs-6_wAhU54jgGHcgaCVgQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1396&bih=693

Thanks for the reply. Yep, that's what @Colin62 was suggesting too. I'm just concerned about stuffing up the jack's gear box

Chris Parks
5th May 2021, 09:56 AM
We had electric legs on the trailers I had anything to do with, I guess they were 24V.

Elill
5th May 2021, 09:58 AM
We had electric legs on the trailers I had anything to do with, I guess they were 24V.

Interesting. I don't suppose you remember who made them? We've got 24 and 240v power available.

Chris Parks
5th May 2021, 01:35 PM
Have a look at this http://jostaustralia.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/jost-australia.com/pdf/Delta_Landing_Leg.pdf