PDA

View Full Version : Frames for Haven 12 half footer

Ecca
29th November 2005, 10:22 PM
Does anyone want for free the 22 mould frames for Joel White's classic Haven 12.5 footer based on Herreschoff's Buzzard Bay 12.5. This will save you about 1 weeks solid work. They are made of pine and are on the South Coast of NSW.

WRB
30th November 2005, 06:31 PM
Hi Ecca,

These would be very usefull as I have almost finished building Joel's Catspaw dinghy and I am planning on doing a Haven next. Let me know if it is feasable to bundle them up and put them on a truck to victoria.... (I will pay of course). How did you go building the haven - I have always thought of it as one of the pretiest daysailers around.

cheers

Warren

DonS
20th December 2005, 10:52 PM
Did the frames for the Haven 12 1/2 reach Victoria? I am about to start building one.
DonS

Ecca
22nd December 2005, 08:54 PM
Sorry Don S the frames are committed elsewhere, though they wont go till the new year. I,ve had them sitting around for about 3 years now. But I guess life is all about timing. If I can help in any other way, lets talk. If its any help I strip planked my Haven so that it would be better as a trailer boat. I have since sold it but it has been to Hobart and Sydney wooden boat show and regularly goes to Port Stephens NSW. They sail well, are a good family boat and look great. No point building an ugly boat,the market in ugly boats is saturated. Go for it
Ecca:cool:

DonS
23rd December 2005, 09:48 PM
Thank you Ecca,
Timing is everything!
The plans call for pine molds, would 25mm craftwood be an option?

DonS

Ecca
4th January 2006, 08:38 PM
Don S
MDF or ply can split when you drive a lot of screws into their end grain. MDF is really card board.I have read that some folk use chipboard successfully and it tends not to separate as does MDF. Either way keep it out of the weather.Another consideration is stiffness of the mould. If the mould distort, so does the shape of the boat. I have now built 6 strip planked boats and 4 have had pine moulds and 2 exterior ply which were for 12 foot canoes and the frames can be used again as there were few screws required. My last project was a 19 foot motor launch which was cold moulded over strip planking and I needed a strong base.The pine worked well. Don't spoil the ship for a 'alfpence worth o' tar. An old quote but a useful thought
Sorry not to reply ealier, should I blame the festive season or be honest and say I forgot?
Ecca

Edwin
20th January 2007, 12:04 PM
Any idea where the frames have ended up as of January 2007? Perhaps they could be passed along from one Australian boat builder to the next and eventually we'll have a whole fleet of Havens from the same mould.

Daddles
20th January 2007, 07:08 PM
Any idea where the frames have ended up as of January 2007? Perhaps they could be passed along from one Australian boat builder to the next and eventually we'll have a whole fleet of Havens from the same mould.

Oh gawd, a whole fleet of them, all with that flat spot just past frame three :D

Seriously though (shuddup Shane, it does happen), frames usually don't last more than two or three uses if you are screwing into them. But, you may find that only one of the set needs replacing ... and it's there ready to be used as a pattern :D

Richard