PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Fi rack - joining two boxes together with gap

chowman
16th May 2021, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

I've started building a simple hi-fi rack that can store an amp and records below. It will be three boxes that sit on each other with a say 10mm gap. (Will post a picture when I figure that out) Have almost got the first box finished but thinking ahead, what would be the best way to connect the boxes together. One idea I had was to use 4 discs of timber (~40mm dia) and inset them away from the edges so it would appear to still float. This would be screwed from the underside and countersunk.

Any better ideas?

elanjacobs
16th May 2021, 03:58 PM
The usual way to do it would be with strips of timber/board between boxes, simply because it's easier to cut than a disc. 9mm MDF painted to match/contrast would be my suggestion, set back and screwed as you were going to do.

GraemeCook
16th May 2021, 04:53 PM
That was so modern in the sixties!

I did it by screwing two wine cases together - some wine still came in pine boxes, then - using a 15 mm length of half-inch copper tube ('cause I had it) and a long screw. Like this:

Neat and easy. I inset the screws from the edges by about 25 mm; in retrospect, 50 mm would have looked better.

Worked well. Only problem was that some "friends" kept returning vinyl records to that gap. Diffucult to extract with my fat fingers - chopsticks.

GraemeCook
16th May 2021, 05:44 PM
I also used the wine boxes as bookshelves - I was a student, then. By stacking the cases like this, you got a lot more storage space for the same amount of wine.

"Mum, I am working on some more bookshelves ..." The dedication of a student.

chowman
17th May 2021, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, think I'll go with the strip - sounds like the simplest. Attached it a sketch of the design for interest.