PDA

View Full Version : New drill press motor power - does anyone have a view please?

MurrayD99
30th November 2005, 11:28 AM
I can trade a used sawbench for a new Taiwanese floor-mount drill: 12 speed, 16mm, 340mm swing. Speed range 260 - 2900 rpm. It seems to be a good enough unit, no play in the quill etc, but it only has a 370 watt (half horse) motor according to the placard. I guess I wouldn't buy this one if it wasn't for the trade-in value (straight swap). As a comparison, I think the Carbatec 16NF would work out about $100 cheaper. For general woodwork, is this half-horse motor going to be an issue? Thanks.... MurrayD

Termite
30th November 2005, 02:35 PM
I've got a 1/2 hp in my 16 speeder and it handles 65mm forstner bits ok in hardwood. Its up to you to judge but for general work I think it's OK.

Iain
30th November 2005, 03:51 PM
I have a small Record bench top drill press and it will handle a 50mm bit without any problems.
Feed gently and all should be OK.

MurrayD99
1st December 2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to go with it. On close inspection, it seems to me to be identical to the Carbatec CH-16NF, except it is 12 speed. Regards

Iain
1st December 2005, 08:00 AM
The trick is to keep the gearing low for maximum torque, don't force the bit or it will grab and stall, I can do that on my big drill press too except it spins me around with it.
Clear the debris often, there will be plenty of it, smoke is not good.
Keep the edge sharp, little drill presses are very handy, I like to have the two and the Record is far more accurate than the big one and will take a 1mm bit in the 1/2" chuck which I use for scroll work, inserting blades.