PDA

View Full Version : Getting By Without a Tablesaw

Repete
23rd May 2021, 12:36 PM
Recently sold my C26 Genius & bought a Carbatec TJ-X250 helical head P/T & a Makita track saw. I also have a 14-12 bandsaw with the Resaw King blade.
This leaves me without a table saw (Audible gasps!!)
I would like to canvass opinions about life without a table saw & bets on how long before I buy a small site saw to fill the void. Peter

mattocks
23rd May 2021, 01:19 PM
I have the same bandsaw and also that blade among some others.
Also have a helical head P/T.
I also have a very small space as my workshop.
So a site saw was the way to go.
I originally bought one from Aldi!!!!! Which proved that you get what you pay for.
I gave it away to a grateful person on this site
I then bought a Dewalt job site saw.
I have it set up on a cabinet I made so that it sits at the end of my work bench.
This gives me an outfeed table and I can also rotate the cabinet so if I want to cross cut pieces longer than say 1.5 metres I can.
(I did say I have a small space)
I would love a bigger space of course but that won't happen and what I have allows me to make what I want.

So yeah, I reckon you'll end up with one soon enough.

havabeer69
23rd May 2021, 02:51 PM
probably comes down to what you want to make?

and probably do 99% of the stuff with the track saw and a drop saw. but you will just never do it as quickly/repeatably as with a table saw.

Greg Q
23rd May 2021, 07:06 PM
I too do most things with a track saw and compound mitre saw, but I have been working almost exclusively in dimensioned pine and MDF for the last year. My table saw is now only good for rough work and in fact lives outside. (Its an old Scheppach TS2500 with the aluminium top.) I find the lack of a good table saw so vexing that I just bought a used Felder combo.

If I had another luxury in the budget I would get a solid 3 metre track rail. I cannot get easily repeatable straight cuts using three tracks and joiners, and I find the track saw a convenient way to break down large sheets.

I wouldn’t attempt any solid wood dimensioning without a good accurate table saw. Bandsawing then thicknessing to dimension gets old fast.

Repete
26th June 2021, 11:00 AM
Held out for a week, then bought a Metabo TS254. I liked the saw, but the top was all over the place. Metabo would not warranty it, but agreed to authorise a refund. Great to deal with.
Next out of the box was the Dewalt. Very well made, powerful, accurate & very loud!!
The track saw on an MFT style top is a game changer. I bought the Makita over the Festool, price driven.
The Carbatec 10" spiral P/T is fan-bloody-tastic. I am generally very pleased with the changes made. I have more bench space & the workshop is a more effective layout.

aldav
26th June 2021, 12:02 PM
In the absence of a mitre saw of some description you were never going to last long. :no: Thought you might have hung in there for a few more weeks though. :rolleyes:

Repete
26th June 2021, 12:39 PM
Mitre saw in the middle pic, a DW nearly 20 years old! I am surprised how accurate the track saw is & when the fence dogs arrive, I will be able to do repeatable cuts.

Porter0206
26th June 2021, 12:46 PM
I was very tempted with Carbatec TJ-X250 helical head P/T, but decided to go with Sherwood 13in deluxe thicknesser with helical spiral head which on special today, this leaves me without a jointer, just wonder I can live without it! I only have a tiny workshop and need space!!!

aldav
26th June 2021, 01:58 PM
Mitre saw in the middle pic, a DW nearly 20 years old!

You didn't mention it in your original post and I didn't notice it in your later pic's. :doh: