PDA

View Full Version : Banjo replacement Durden L500 wood lathe

harry_1919@hotm
7th June 2021, 04:14 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased a second hand Durden L500 wood lathe and am very happy with it. However the banjo is starting to crack where the tool rest post is inserted.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could find a replacement?

Or would I be better off getting one engineered?

riverbuilder
8th June 2021, 06:43 AM
Wouldn’t be hard to weld up and then re machine the hole I would imagine. Bound to be someone on the metalwork forums that would know and be nearby.

LanceC
8th June 2021, 09:09 AM
Hi Harry,

This is a perfect opportunity to learn how to braze. The only tricky bit will be cleaning it up afterwards. Either with the correct size drill/ream or abrasive wrapped around a dowel will also clean it up.

Good luck.

Old Hilly
13th June 2021, 06:02 PM
If it's cast iron then a rod like the old CIG "Castcraft" and an arc welder may well do the job. Those rods used to come in packets of about 5, just enough for small jobs.

BobL
13th June 2021, 06:52 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased a second hand Durden L500 wood lathe and am very happy with it. However the banjo is starting to crack where the tool rest post is inserted.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could find a replacement?

Or would I be better off getting one engineered?
Here's a WIP of one I made in 2018.
Dualling banjos (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/dualling-banjos-220407)

Drillit
14th June 2021, 12:21 PM
Hello Harry,
I had a problem with my Top Turn banjo in that I needed (2) banjos so that I could do some extended spindle work with a double stem tool rest. I could not source a new or second hand Durden banjo as the Company no longer exists. What I did was to buy (2) Woodfast banjos from Hare & Forbes and then cut down the stem to be the same height as the original Top Turn. The measurements otherwise fitted the lathe, including the bedways and locking block. They were about $100 each some years ago. I cannot remember if I had to move the grub screw down, but if so that should not be a problem. A metals shop would be able to help you out as it is a straight forward job. Hope that helps. I have seen the other comments on brazing/welding. Drillit.

hughie
7th July 2021, 05:15 PM
If I was going to have a go at welding I would use TIG setup and Ferro nickel arc rods with the flux removed. Less heat and much easier to use, well if you have a TIG welder handy.