PDA

View Full Version : Plastic cabinet doors

Mark Smith
1st December 2005, 07:01 AM
New to the forum, hello to all, thanks in advance for any help. Sorry for this initial stupid questions.

OK I had this cool idea to make some medicine cabinet doors using liquid plastic clear resin and embedding fake butterflys and small flowers. So I went about making one of these doors 14" x 21" using 3/4 MDF 2" border with a recessed 1/4" backerboard leaving me 1/2 inside to fill with plastic and my embedments when it cured looked great but it pulled away from the edges, so I then used 2" trim to cover this. I now have a 1 and 1/4" thick door That roughly weights what the front door to my house weights..lol

So here is my question. Can I make a wood mold for this door and what would I have to do to it, to make it not stick to the plastic except for a small 2" strip embedded in the door for the hinges. Has anybody made the complete cabinet door using these type of resins with embedded objects. What about warpage, cracking etc...This idea poped into my head and now it has just become a challenge I can't seem to leave alone. I'm a fairly accomplished woodworker, maybe I should just make some nice raised panel doors and call it a day. Any advise.