PDA

View Full Version : Garden Bench Restore

dmuk
20th June 2021, 11:26 AM
I've inherited a garden bench - cast iron sides and wooden slats.

So far I have pulled it apart. Plan to repaint iron and install new wooden slats.

Am I ok to just scrub and sand back the iron and then use a spray paint to finish?

Slats are approximately 100 x 42 x 19. Would treated pine do the job, with vanish/oil finish?

Potts
20th June 2021, 11:34 AM
Can’t see why not but I’d be tempted to use a primer before my top coat for extra durability and I’d be tempted to use a hardwood slat rather than treated pine if you can access it.

orraloon
20th June 2021, 02:41 PM
I agree with Potts on both using primer and hardwood. Treated pine will not look great with varnish or oil. Hard wood decking would be a good cost effective way to get the slats.
Regards
John

dmuk
20th June 2021, 04:44 PM
Thanks.

Looks like hardwood decking the way to go. Available in the right dimensions so will save cutting.

Is there a cost effective option for primer & paint? The cast iron ends are relatively small surface area.

Would primer spray and paint spray work? Usually use brush paint but spray seems quicker and decent finish.

AlexS
20th June 2021, 07:07 PM
I did a similar one a about 10 years ago. Killrust black on the ironwork, merbau wood and decking oil. It's been in the weather ever since and is still in good nick.

banana
20th June 2021, 07:12 PM
i think i would use automotive primer/paint/clear for the metal parts, repco and autobarn seem to have a good selection of rattle cans. supercheap auto not so much, not sure why

62woollybugger
20th June 2021, 07:55 PM
I did this one a while ago, using Karri decking boards from the big green shed, finished with Organoil outdoor furniture oil. I bought 130mm wide boards, then ripped them in half for the wide slats & to around 30mm for the narrow ones at the top & front. The cast iron sides were sprayed with etch primer then epoxy enamel with spray cans.
I need to find another pair of sides, as I had a brain f@rt & bought twice as much timber as I needed. :doh:

dmuk
20th June 2021, 10:18 PM
Thanks. Great tips. That's the same finish I'm looking for.

One last question.

The previous slats were 1000mm. Can I safely get away with going longer?

The metal braces don't seem significantly structural.

AlexS
21st June 2021, 08:46 AM
Thanks. Great tips. That's the same finish I'm looking for.

One last question.

The previous slats were 1000mm. Can I safely get away with going longer?

The metal braces don't seem significantly structural.
If you're using hardwood longer shouldn't be a problem. I think mine are 1800 minus a bit for trimming. What I did do was run an aluminium strap from behind the top slat, down the back and under the seat, with a screwinto each slat just to give a bit of extra support. Probably not necessary, but hey.

62woollybugger
21st June 2021, 11:57 AM
Mine's 1500mm long & is fine with two 90kg people on it and only slight flex if I sit in the middle. Forgot to mention in my previous post that after ripping the wider boards, I went over the edges with a 4mm round over bit in the router, to match the existing edges.

Michael Brazeau
21st June 2021, 12:28 PM
I restored a bench 2 years ago. I just used a wire wheel on the drill and cleaned up the metal. This made a nice shinny gun metal finish which I liked so I just coated it with clear metal lacquer. I used some red oak for the slats and painted the wood with vinegar/steel mix to make it gray. I made the slats thicker than the original, hoping they will last longer and not flex as much. Turned out pretty nice.