PDA

View Full Version : Lathes to $3000 - what am I getting for my money?

Doogster
2nd December 2005, 07:23 AM
Hi chaps

Many thanks for the replies to my recent post about whether the smaller MC lathes can handle large bowl-turning duties.

I have had a good look at some of the cheaper lathes recently, and the build quality does not impress me. I have therefore decided to devote up to $3000 on my first lathe.

What exactly am I getting for my money when I drop $3k on a lathe? Apart from better build quality and electronic speed control, what differentiates a $500 lathe from a $3k lathe?

I am after the following features:

1) 1 meter between centres capacity - I don't mind if this is achieved using an extension. Are extensions mechanically sound? Are they the same as a cast bed of the same length?

2) Large bowl turning capacity (ie. swivel head) - what is the lowest speed needed for large bowls? Would a 1hp motor be enough, or would larger be better?

I'd prefer to buy Aussie (or Kiwi) made, but I'm not militant about it.

The following models are in my price range (I don't *have* to spend $3k if a $2k model will be OK):

Sherwood KC-1643
Vicmarc VL-200SM
Jet JWL-1442
Jet JWL-1642
Nova 3000
Nova DVR-3000

Any others I should investigate? If anyone wants to make a recommendation please do so - all suggestions are welcommed.

Cheers. Doug

Jim Carroll
2nd December 2005, 07:32 AM
Nova 3000
DVR 3000
VL175
These lathes all fit your needs and will last a lifetime.
Others not really in the market.
Just my opinion others may differ.

Christopha
2nd December 2005, 10:54 AM
Nova 3000
DVR 3000
VL175
These lathes all fit your needs and will last a lifetime.
Others not really in the market.
Just my opinion others may differ.

WHAT JIM SAID!

Termite
2nd December 2005, 11:37 AM
I drool everytime someone mentions a DVR3000.
The rest of the time I just dribble. :D

hcbph
2nd December 2005, 12:20 PM
Hi chaps

I am after the following features:

1) 1 meter between centres capacity - I don't mind if this is achieved using an extension. Are extensions mechanically sound? Are they the same as a cast bed of the same length?

2) Large bowl turning capacity (ie. swivel head) - what is the lowest speed needed for large bowls? Would a 1hp motor be enough, or would larger be better?

I'd prefer to buy Aussie (or Kiwi) made, but I'm not militant about it.

The following models are in my price range (I don't *have* to spend $3k if a $2k model will be OK):

Sherwood KC-1643
Vicmarc VL-200SM
Jet JWL-1442
Jet JWL-1642
Nova 3000
Nova DVR-3000

Any others I should investigate? If anyone wants to make a recommendation please do so - all suggestions are welcommed.

Doug

I have the Jet 1642 along with a 20" bed extension. It's good for about 40-42" out of the box, the extension I have takes it to about 60". It's a 220v unit so it's 2 HP, think if you're going to go with large diameters, that's worth looking into vs a 1 hp unit, which may be underpowered. You can't spin the head on it, but you can slide the head down to the end of the bed for doing large faceplate turnings. I've done some 14" x about 48" turnings on mine so far and it's everything I need for what I do (primarily spindle turnings - legs etc for furniture repair). Another unit that might be worth checking out is the Powermatic 3520A or B unit. Sorry, but I don't know the other lathes you've listed, so unfortunately I'm not able to comment on them.

Oh, one additional thing. The Jet 1642 is a EVSR unit, I really wasn't too sure about it when I ordered mine, but it's something I really love. You can dial in virually any speed, and can reverse direction to same or hang a duplicator off the back side if you like. If you try it, it's something I'm sure you'll love.

Paul

Toasty
2nd December 2005, 02:05 PM
Copy and paste from a nother reply I did, plus a few additional comments:

I was dead keen on buying a 1642 at the Canberra show, but no-one had them available. I talked myself up to the DVR3000 and on the swivel head v's sliding head, for my situation the swivel head is better for two reasons.

One is space, where I have my lathe I don't have the room at the end to do outboard turning, so sliding the head to the end wasn't going to be an option unless I moved the lathe to a different position.

The other is with a swivel head there isn't the necessaity to have an outboard turning rig depending on how big the item is you are working on. I was turning some campher laurel on the weekend, just a small bowl, but it was very nice to turn the head 45 degrees to the bed when I was hollowing and not have to lean over the bed. This was using the stock toolrest.

Because of the swivel head I am very very pleased with the DVR.

Addionally, the 2hp motor is very strong and will actually torque up the power if you start to slow it with a big job. 100 to 3,500 rpm adjustable in 5rpm increments via the touch panel. Very heavy lathe that does not usually come with a stand.

Also don't forget beyond the lathe you have the expense of a chuck, chisels and possibly a sharpening setup.

Termite
2nd December 2005, 02:22 PM
Also don't forget beyond the lathe you have the expense of a chuck, chisels and possibly a sharpening setup.

A lot of places will throw in a few goodies to get the sale. The DVR comes with a chuck and a set of jaws plus a few other bits and pieces, and the chuck is a good one (Teknatool) not a cheap chinese piece of cheese.

And yes, I am biased toward the DVR3000. When you dream about a good lathe as much as I do you do your research, by the way the Vicmark 175? runs a very very close second in my books. Almost toss a coin close.

Hobbyhorse
2nd December 2005, 06:10 PM
Doogster,
I have a DVR and am very happy with it. I can not comment on the others not having used them. The variable speed is just great and the smoothness when running at any revs is wonderfull. In NZ there is a new model just out with a heavier bed and some updates on the control computer with, I think, three variable start up RPMs. My one starts up at 500rpm as a default.
Good luck in your search.

Rhys H.

bsrlee
2nd December 2005, 06:50 PM
Any opinions on the 'Beaver' clones of the Vicmark lathe? Alleged by Carbatec to be build in 'Asia' under Vicmark's supervision.

I had a look at one at the Carbatec sale, the only thing that I REALLY didn't like was the sharp edged box of electronics bolted to the front of the stand - I'd be bashing my knee against it repeatedly unless I could re-mount it on the end or back somewhere.

Ozartisan
2nd December 2005, 07:11 PM
I am VERY happy with my DVR3000. Put it on a good, heavy stand & you can't go wrong. I have had pretty good support from Teknatool on a couple of minor issues.
I rarely turn at my guild anymore 'cos it just isn't the same feel as the DVR.
Bottom line - I would buy another one!

smeds
3rd December 2005, 08:19 AM
Go for the Jet 1642, the Vicmarcs are a fantastic lathe but that model only has a .75HP motor compared to a 2Hp on the Jet, you can get a bigger one for the vic but it is extra

smeds
3rd December 2005, 08:20 AM
that model being the 175

Evan Pavlidis
5th December 2005, 11:54 AM
Any opinions on the 'Beaver' clones of the Vicmark lathe? Alleged by Carbatec to be build in 'Asia' under Vicmark's supervision.

I had a look at one at the Carbatec sale, the only thing that I REALLY didn't like was the sharp edged box of electronics bolted to the front of the stand - I'd be bashing my knee against it repeatedly unless I could re-mount it on the end or back somewhere.

I had a look at the same model here in Melb and the staff told me not to go near them because the threads on the headstock spindle are not machined properly and the chuck when tightened upto the spindle flange wobbles severely. Apparently a few customers were ticked off bad after spending $2700 and asked carbatec to come round and pick them up from their house and be re-imbursed. Carbatec are not continuing the Beaver line and all their stock is being returned to the manufacturer. I was advised to pay a little extra for a Vicmarc or some other model/brand around the $2500 to $3000 range.
Have to admit; nice looking lathe and well machined bed, toolpost and tailstock; too bad about the headstock.

Cheers,
Evan

TimberNut
8th December 2005, 09:17 AM
I have a Vicmarc (but it's the VL300, not the 175).

For build quality and accuracy I'd say the Vicmarc's are spot on. I'd sell the kids to get another Vicmarc if I could!

I know the 175 is the smaller version, and for my money, HP is a major factor (hence I went the bigger option and then spec'd up the motor again). Irrespective of the size of jobs you want to turn, torque is gonna make or break you.

Buildwise - you'd be happy with a Vicmarc, but if its only a smaller motor perhaps a DVR for the same money.

but hey, if you can stretch it again to the VL300 forget the rest....;)

Greg Q
8th December 2005, 10:54 AM
Fellas:

At the recent show here in Melbourne I started to look at the Stubby, but was called away before I had a chance to really compare it to the others. I did spend 10 minutes with the Vicmarc and was very very impressed.

The only North American lathe that I've seen that compares is the highly regarded* Oneway, and the Vic (and maybe Stubby) may be every bit as good.

*by North American and some European turners

A good lathe is about #4 on the wishlist, so its getting closer...

Greg

rsser
8th December 2005, 03:40 PM
Stubby's are sweet but exxy.

I haven't recently researched the diffs between the Vicmarc 175 (I have an older one) and the DVR3000. From what I know, the DVR has a more powerful motor and better electronics, but overall has less weight in the bed/stand. On the other hand, the Vicmarc still requires a belt change for hi/lo revs but has a very solid bed/head setup.

My sense is that the standard bed and outboard turning arrangement is better on the Vicmarc. Tho you can get a more powerful motor for it the $$ add up.

Bottom line as always is what kind of trade-off you can live with. In particular, are you going to do mainly spindle or mainly bowl/platter turning?

[Edit: looking back at your orig. post ...

The Vicmarc 175 is out of your range; that said, it comes with 1m btwn centres, and I've never found 1 hp to be inadequate; with big lumps I just go with the flow.

And: a swivel head has lots of advantages.]

Termite
8th December 2005, 03:57 PM
There's a new DVR3000 coming out soon called the DVR3000XP see here:-

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR%20XP/Nova%20_DVRXP.htm

Jim Carroll
8th December 2005, 06:50 PM
The DVR XP is already here in its original configuration.
The current DVR lathes have all the new features , new electronics, handles etc. They have been using them since June 2005.
The main difference is cosmetic. The headstock has been reshaped and the bed has been reshaped to give a more bulbous look. The footprint is still the same so you can put the DVRXP on the same bench as the Nova 3000 or the original DVR.
They are due in Aus about Feb next year at $3200.00

Termite
8th December 2005, 07:11 PM
Jim, I thought the bed was heavier or am I mistaken.......again.:D

Jim Carroll
8th December 2005, 10:08 PM
The claim by teknatool is that it is the same weight as the current model.:confused:

Doogster
9th December 2005, 07:07 AM
The DVR XP is already here in its original configuration.
The current DVR lathes have all the new features , new electronics, handles etc. They have been using them since June 2005.
The main difference is cosmetic. The headstock has been reshaped and the bed has been reshaped to give a more bulbous look. The footprint is still the same so you can put the DVRXP on the same bench as the Nova 3000 or the original DVR.
They are due in Aus about Feb next year at $3200.00

Thanks Jim. I was veering towards the Nova DVR and I had already noticed the new model on the Teknatool website. It looks worth the extra $200 over the current model. I might hold out a couple of more months and get the XP. I guess that means the old DVR will come down in price. Cheers. Doug